+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are international students excluded from the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB)?

malumarinhoo

Jan 28, 2020
Of course they have to pay taxes on CERB. It's income replacement, not welfare. It's not borrowing since they get to keep the majority of the money.
Well I dont know. Im just trying to think outside the box as nobody knows how everything will be in the future. Dont be upset with me, Im just trying to understand/help. :)

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Well I dont know. Im just trying to think outside the box as nobody knows how everything will be in the future. Dont be upset with me, Im just trying to understand/help. :)
And as reiterated by the Government, if one does not qualify or get money that was not to be paid , they WILL have to pay it back
People assume there’s no penalty, that maybe correct. However if they don’t have the funds to pay it back , the Government will use measures already in place for compliance/enforcement. Ranging from holding back tax refunds /credits , garnishment of wages , to seizing bank accounts. Some individuals believe, incorrectly the Government needs a court order to garnish accounts, that’s incorrect.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/its-one-or-the-other-be-prepared-to-reimburse-cerb-if-you-get-rehired-thanks-to-the-wage-subsidy

Reactions: jddd

malumarinhoo

Jan 28, 2020
And as reiterated by the Government, if one does not qualify or get money that was not to be paid , they WILL have to pay it back
People assume there’s no penalty, that maybe correct. However if they don’t have the funds to pay it back , the Government will use measures already in place for compliance/enforcement. Ranging from holding back tax refunds /credits , garnishment of wages , to seizing bank accounts. Some individuals believe, incorrectly the Government needs a court order to garnish accounts, that’s incorrect.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/its-one-or-the-other-be-prepared-to-reimburse-cerb-if-you-get-rehired-thanks-to-the-wage-subsidy
ooooooooooooooook

Nanyathwa0002

Apr 30, 2020
International students shouldn't be included. They are supposed to have all necessary funds to support themselves in Canada regardless.
International students do fund themselves for the time they are studying(the fees by the way is double or triple for international students), but once they graduate(recent graduates) depend on jobs like everybody els does.
We are sitting here miles away from our family, unable to head back, laid off from our part time jobs due to covid-19, we've graduated but we arent getting jobs. Just sitting here paying for rent, utilities, and food. Trying to make ends meet
let alone the emotional and mental stress of not having anyone of your own here, unable to anticipate or plan anything for yourself.

it is not a good place to be in

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
International students do fund themselves for the time they are studying(the fees by the way is double or triple for international students), but once they graduate(recent graduates) depend on jobs like everybody els does.
We are sitting here miles away from our family, unable to head back, laid off from our part time jobs due to covid-19, we've graduated but we arent getting jobs. Just sitting here paying for rent, utilities, and food. Trying to make ends meet
let alone the emotional and mental stress of not having anyone of your own here, unable to anticipate or plan anything for yourself.

it is not a good place to be in
I'm aware of how much international tuition is. If you need financial assistance, you should be seeking it from your own country.