+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are international students excluded from the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB)?

malumarinhoo

Jan 28, 2020
International students shouldn't be included. They are supposed to have all necessary funds to support themselves in Canada regardless.
I agree. But if you have money to pay your bills and you are still counting the money you or your spouse will make working, it’s a different situation. Nobody is working and the bills are still coming.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
International students shouldn't be included. They are supposed to have all necessary funds to support themselves in Canada regardless.
Not to mention extraordinary expenses that are not planned due to COVID-19. I think people are just looking for clarification because the information is not clear. You seem to be posting the same message every time some asks this question. People are just looking for clarity, there is no need to go on the attack.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Not to mention extraordinary expenses that are not planned due to COVID-19. I think people are just looking for clarification because the information is not clear. You seem to be posting the same message every time some asks this question. People are just looking for clarity, there is no need to go on the attack.
??

I believe I have responded to one other CESB post, so how is that "the same message every time some asks"?

Also please explain how "International students shouldn't be included. They are supposed to have all necessary funds to support themselves in Canada regardless." is an attack?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I agree. But if you have money to pay your bills and you are still counting the money you or your spouse will make working, it’s a different situation. Nobody is working and the bills are still coming.
As I said, students are expected to have the funds in place to support themselves before coming to Canada. They should not be relying on working in Canada to pay the bills.

Both international students and foreign workers can qualify for CERB if they meet the requirements.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
??

I believe I have responded to one other CESB post, so how is that "the same message every time some asks"?

Also please explain how "International students shouldn't be included. They are supposed to have all necessary funds to support themselves in Canada regardless." is an attack?
These are 2 out of 3 CESB posts that you have said the same thing. The answer to the question asked is if International students are elegible which is a simple no. Your answer is your opinion which is that international students shouldn't be included which is not what was asked. This is needlessly aggressive when no one is questioning that, at least on this post.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
These are 2 out of 3 CESB posts that you have said the same thing. The answer to the question asked is if International students are elegible which is a simple no. Your answer is your opinion which is that international students shouldn't be included which is not what was asked. This is needlessly aggressive when no one is questioning that, at least on this post.
Pretty sure I've only posted this on one other CESB thread. It's not aggressive. It is a simple truth and would appear to be the opinion of the Canadian government, not just me. International students shouldn't be eligible because they are supposed to be able to fully fund their stay in Canada themselves.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
International students already have the funds to survive in Canada without working (unless you blatantly lied on your study permit application). There is no reason that international students are eligible for CERB

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sv-opw-dates.675698/

It appears that you applied to be a student while on a TRV , and a SWOP. The Government should not be expected to assist financially with your plans
Maybe contact your home Government to see if they have any assistance in place for their citizens overseas

malumarinhoo

Jan 28, 2020
Exactly. What about the ones that will have to postpone to September? they are going to spend all the money in months without working and studying and when the next semester starts there’s no money to pay the fee
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sv-opw-dates.675698/

It appears that you applied to be a student while on a TRV , and a SWOP. The Government should not be expected to assist financially with your plans
Maybe contact your home Government to see if they have any assistance in place for their citizens overseas
Im sorry, but I dont see where I said it was me. I simply said my opinion. But thank you for the concern.

malumarinhoo

Jan 28, 2020
As I said, students are expected to have the funds in place to support themselves before coming to Canada. They should not be relying on working in Canada to pay the bills.

Both international students and foreign workers can qualify for CERB if they meet the requirements.
I dont think they are relying, and even if they ask for the CERB, at the end of the year you have to pay taxes. So maybe they see as borrowing from the government? Idk. Some situations are more complicated than we think.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I dont think they are relying, and even if they ask for the CERB, at the end of the year you have to pay taxes. So maybe they see as borrowing from the government? Idk. Some situations are more complicated than we think.
Of course they have to pay taxes on CERB. It's income replacement, not welfare. It's not borrowing since they get to keep the majority of the money.