+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

April 2023 - Citizenship Applications

unnipbvr

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
What do you guys suggest - should I file Canadian citizenship for my 5 years old who is a US citizen. Pros and Cons?
Con:
  1. Initial expense (Citizenship - 100 + Passport - 120)
  2. Have to keep renewing both passports every 5 years - Expense and paperwork
Pro: I could think of pretty much nothing other than consistency in the family.

A better middle ground would probably be to apply for citizenship, but not a passport (at least till they are 18)

Reactions: Hopeful0403

Maxon

Mar 28, 2023
I’m not doing track but anyway I got an oath invite today and scheduled on 28 august finally. No email yet. This journey is almost over!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fair_Enough

Hopeful0403

Star Member
May 21, 2020
Con:
  1. Initial expense (Citizenship - 100 + Passport - 120)
  2. Have to keep renewing both passports every 5 years - Expense and paperwork
Pro: I could think of pretty much nothing other than consistency in the family.

A better middle ground would probably be to apply for citizenship, but not a passport (at least till they are 18)
Thank you!

Reactions: splashyygirl

stanley81

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
What do you guys suggest - should I file Canadian citizenship for my 5 years old who is a US citizen. Pros and Cons?
You can keep only one passport to travel, either Can or US, depending which is easier to renew (obviously Can in Canada, US in US).
Passport has nothing to do with Citizenship, let the kid have double citizenship since it's allowed. Later he/she will decide which is the main one:)
The only Con I can see is a bit of tax implications after 18 yo, but it is manageable.

sbandari

Apr 25, 2023
Does anyone have issues with downloading the citizenship e-certificate? I received an email this morning that my certificate is ready for download and when I log in to IRCC portal, it says the certificate is not available yet.

BLACK SHIRT

Jan 21, 2021
Good morning, everyone. I just received the GCMS notes that was ordered on July 7th, 2023. My test and BG check are completed since July 6th, however since then there is no update, still waiting for LPP. As per my notes, primary office is Vancouver, however, the LPP looks like has been assigned to RC8090, which is CPC Sydney office?
For those who received prior email from Vancouver VO, if your file is stuck and pending for LPP review, check and see if the process has been assigned to Sydney. One can only tell from GCMS notes.:)

Under GCMS notes, it also says E-Grant Review Ready PM01 (Vancouver Citizenship - Paper File). The problem is that my file is electronic not sure why it says paper file.
I wanted to upload the screenshot here but don't know how to do it LOL

You ordered GCMS note to CBSA or IRCC? I am on the same boat my Test was completed on June 23rd, since then no update

ANA1

Aug 10, 2023
I have question, why do people always complain about the delayed processing of immigration requests at the Sydney office? This is completely unfair. Some individuals obtain citizenship in as little as two months, like the Vancouver office, while others wait for years with the Sydney office. Where is the justice in this? And why aren't files from the sluggish Sydney office distributed to other offices?

BLACK SHIRT

Jan 21, 2021
I have question, why do people always complain about the delayed processing of immigration requests at the Sydney office? This is completely unfair. Some individuals obtain citizenship in as little as two months, like the Vancouver office, while others wait for years with the Sydney office. Where is the justice in this? And why aren't files from the sluggish Sydney office distributed to other offices?
I applied from Vancouver :D

Finland

Sep 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What I don’t understand how there is offices have processing time less than 3 months :)))
Submit in April and get oath in July …

Tats.tati

Apr 5, 2020
Does anyone have issues with downloading the citizenship e-certificate? I received an email this morning that my certificate is ready for download and when I log in to IRCC portal, it says the certificate is not available yet.

interesting, keep us posted. Looks like we had the ceremony on the same day, but I haven't received an email yet.

Reactions: TOPHER LORDZ

coolcanada123

Aug 26, 2020
I have received that today as well. Scanned copy of all pages of my passport. Anyone else have already completed this step in past?
I have also received an interview request, which is virtual over MS Teams.? What can we expect in the interview other than the document verification?

Processing Office: Mississauga
Did you submit the scanned copies along with your application? As per the documentation check list, all the adult applicants should be submitting the scanned copy of all the pages of the passports that are valid for last 5 years. We submitted them along with the application and didn't receive any such request again.

We received the in person citizenship interview request at Kitchener office. They just verified the Passports and other id cards (PR, DL, Health Card), nothing much asked.