+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for SIN online after landing

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
Got it. Obviously it's not an easy situation but there isn't much I can do while sitting in the US. I will continue looking for workarounds but thanks for the clarification.
Btw, can you try to call your embassy in Canada if they can make up some letter and posted to your current address?

MoizArif

Apr 2, 2020
If anyone of you bought a phone line in Canada, you can also use the phone bill as proof of address if it has the intended address on it.

mb29

Star Member
Aug 12, 2018
The easiest way is to open a bank account online with TD, they will send a letter by post without the need of activating the account (can be done later).
Okay, I will try this. Will get back incase I have any doubts.

schandrika

Jun 26, 2019
The easiest way is to open a bank account online with TD, they will send a letter by post without the need of activating the account (can be done later).
Hi, can you suggest where I can do that? I need address proof for SIN as well. I called TD and they said I have to come in person.

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
Hi, can you suggest where I can do that? I need address proof for SIN as well. I called TD and they said I have to come in person.
You may try their minimum chequing account for instance ($3.95/month):
https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/bank-accounts/chequing-accounts/
The letter might take between 5 and 10 business days to arrive though and you need a Canadian phone number (I used Public Mobile, ordered before my landing and charged via recharge.com).

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
Just to tell people here that I sent the online application for a SIN on May 28th and received it today (so almost 2 weeks).
I used my employment letter as proof of address.

As a side note, beware of scams: I received a call and it was an prerecorded male voice saying they found the supporting documents suspicious in my SIN application (not sure how they found at I was a newcomer) and asked me to call a different number to avoid judicial proceedings. LOL I didn't buy it :-D

SVW_87

May 22, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I am a new immigrant to Canada and as required by law, I completed my 14 day self isolation and finally on the 16th day went to TD bank and opened an account. Although they promised that they will send out a statement by mail they provided me a stamped letter called "assessment of funds" . The AOF letter had my name , account number , balance and details of the person who generated the letter on TD bank's letterhead.

I have used the stamped assessment of funds letters , my passport (1st and last page) and signed COPR to apply for SIN

My question is if this is enough or should I have waited for the physical statement to arrive in mail. I do not have a driver's license / rental agreement as of now .

Thanks