+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR and my son has Mild autism

Momo678

Feb 22, 2022
Yes he gets full time assistance. He will be 8 in April. I didn't have to submit anything
I mean when you applied did you not submit any Paediatrician’s letter of diagnosis, therapy letters, school letter, IEP etc ?? Also does your child go to a mainstream school??

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
I mean when you applied did you not submit any Paediatrician’s letter of diagnosis, therapy letters, school letter, IEP etc ?? Also does your child go to a mainstream school??
No i did not submit anything. I noted it on the background info thats all. I also just told the panel physician and we went through the list of questions about his diagnosis. Thats all.
my son goes to public elementary. He does OT, PT, ST and has an assistant. The school is offering an updated assessment now.

vip007

Mar 2, 2021
Hi. I was hoping if you could expand on mild moderate autism. My son has autism and not sure what symptoms would make it mild or moderate category. Can you kindly explain your child’s needs/ symptoms. Thank you.
Currently my son is 4 and half years old and non-verbal.
Follows few instructions but still struggles to speaks.
The diagnosis is based on sets of assessment done by his pediatric neurologist.

Momo678

Feb 22, 2022
Currently my son is 4 and half years old and non-verbal.
Follows few instructions but still struggles to speaks.
The diagnosis is based on sets of assessment done by his pediatric neurologist.
Can I please ask what medical documents did you submit for your son (Paediatrician’s diagnosis/therapist’s letters/ school’s letters etc etc). Also during the medical check for immigration do the kids with special needs get assessed any differently than neurotypical kids? Actually I’m applying this month and trying to gather as much information as possible.

vip007

Mar 2, 2021
Can I please ask what medical documents did you submit for your son (Paediatrician’s diagnosis/therapist’s letters/ school’s letters etc etc). Also during the medical check for immigration do the kids with special needs get assessed any differently than neurotypical kids? Actually I’m applying this month and trying to gather as much information as possible.

We uploaded neurological/neuropsychological evaluation report. Basically, its the diagnosis report from pediatric neurologist stating he is in ASD.

No they don't assess any thing differently just the normal stuff.
But they do ask questions if the kid has any known disorder. In our case, we did tell the immigration doctor that he has ASD.
So he asked us when he was diagnosed and which doctor did his diagnosis. And when we provided him this info, he told us to get the letter on the same from the pediatric neurologist.
So we checked with pediatric neurologist and he gave us the neurological/neuropsychological evaluation report.

Momo678

Feb 22, 2022
We uploaded neurological/neuropsychological evaluation report. Basically, its the diagnosis report from pediatric neurologist stating he is in ASD.

No they don't assess any thing differently just the normal stuff.
But they do ask questions if the kid has any known disorder. In our case, we did tell the immigration doctor that he has ASD.
So he asked us when he was diagnosed and which doctor did his diagnosis. And when we provided him this info, he told us to get the letter on the same from the pediatric neurologist.
So we checked with pediatric neurologist and he gave us the neurological/neuropsychological evaluation report.
So basically he asked for the same evaluation/diagnosis report that you had uploaded in the beginning when applying for immigration or did he want an up to date one (sorry just clarifying)

vip007

Mar 2, 2021
So basically he asked for the same evaluation/diagnosis report that you had uploaded in the beginning when applying for immigration or did he want an up to date one (sorry just clarifying)
We did not upload his report while applying for immigration initially.
After medicals we just shared it with immigration doctor.
We did not see they process moving on the medical for my son so we thought of uploading latest evaluation report since his condition has improved a bit.

Maryamt

Feb 21, 2013
Hello all,

I have a similar case with everyone here except that my son doesn't have any official diagnosis. However, he is 7 yrs old, nonverbal and hyperactive. We did our medical last year March. I didn't mention autism to the doctor but I expected him to ask and he didn't. Luckily, we passed our medical just a day after it was uploaded and now, we finally got our copr.

My concern now is, will he be able to get services when we land in Canada?
Should we get an official assessment for him here now and bring it to Canada?
Will the assessment be accepted, since it wasn't presented during the medical evaluation?

Thank you

Reactions: Hazel&

mamasvoice

Star Member
Sep 14, 2020
Category........
BUSINESS
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-22-2020
Hello all,

I have a similar case with everyone here except that my son doesn't have any official diagnosis. However, he is 7 yrs old, nonverbal and hyperactive. We did our medical last year March. I didn't mention autism to the doctor but I expected him to ask and he didn't. Luckily, we passed our medical just a day after it was uploaded and now, we finally got our copr.

My concern now is, will he be able to get services when we land in Canada?
Should we get an official assessment for him here now and bring it to Canada?
Will the assessment be accepted, since it wasn't presented during the medical evaluation?

Thank you
You should have mentioned it at the time of the medical exam even if there was no official diagnosis yet. Does your son go to a mainstream or special school? Suggest you obtain an official assessment in your home country, and then bring it to Canada. But am not sure how it will pan out. Another option is to just have him officially assessed in Canada and apply straightaway for autism services.

Prex29

Mar 20, 2019
Hi All,
Just sharing my story.

CEC Outland applicant in USA
AOR - Oct 2019
MP - Oct 2019
Portal Email request - Feb 2020
COPR Received - March 2020
Expiry date - June 2020
We could not travel bcoz of Covid Restriction. So we contacted IRCC for extension,
Blessed with daughter -Sept 2020
Updated IRCC - Nov 2020
Son diagnosed with mild-moderate autism spectrum- Dec 2020
IRCC responded and added Daughter profile - Dec 2020
Daughters Medical done - Dec 2020
Received Medical Request Again for Me/WIfe and Son - April 2021
Medical Redone- May 2021
Medical Passed for all family except my son - Dec 2021
And the waiting game continues......
Hello,

Thanks for sharing.

Please I would like to know what was the update text after you redid your medicals on your online express application portal? Did it say medical passed with a date? Or it didn't show any updates on your online portal? My question really is how did you figure out everyone else passed the medical except your son?

vip007

Mar 2, 2021
Hello,

Thanks for sharing.

Please I would like to know what was the update text after you redid your medicals on your online express application portal? Did it say medical passed with a date? Or it didn't show any updates on your online portal? My question really is how did you figure out everyone else passed the medical except your son?
I had called IRCC Call Centre (1-888-242-2100) to inquire and IRCC agent confirmed on call that Medical Passed for all family except my son.