+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply to become Canadian citizen

Feb 26, 2018
Hi,

I became permanent resident the day i landed in Canada as an immigrant for the first time - Which is Oct-2014.
I would like to apply for the Canadian citizenship this month Feb 2018.

Question 1: My eligibility period starts 5 five years from now, which is Feb 2013? OR Starts the day i landed in Canada in 2014?

I am raising Question 1 to understand if i should include the addresses and my occupations before landing in Canada, in response to question 10. a) and 11 in Application for Canadian Citizenship — Adults [Form CIT 0002]?

"Photocopies of biographical pages of passports and/or travel documents covering the 5 years immediately before the date of your application" I landed in Canada for the first time as immigrant in Oct 2014 and based on the Online Physical Presence Calculator, i am eligible to apply with more than 1095 days in Canada.
Question 2: I would like to apply for the Canadian citizenship this month Feb 2018 and i am wondering if i should provide photocopies for all my travels back to 2013 or back to the first day i landed in Canada?

Thank you,
Antoine

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
1) Feb 2013. And yes, include your history for the whole 5 years period.
2) No photocopies needed at all for your travels. Only the identity pages on your passports. Just list all your travels outside Canada in the last 5 years in the presence calculator, including the big absence before you arrived here.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
I'll add, based on what you said in regards to when you first came to Canada and landed as PR, you must provide a police certificate.

"Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. If you cannot get a police certificate, tell us why."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Feb 26, 2018
1) Feb 2013. And yes, include your history for the whole 5 years period.
2) No photocopies needed at all for your travels. Only the identity pages on your passports. Just list all your travels outside Canada in the last 5 years in the presence calculator, including the big absence before you arrived here.

Before arriving to Canada and during the big absence as you have mentioned above, i was residing in my country of origin and i traveled three times for business (Travels, total of 30 days). Do i need to detail this in the presence calculator as well? Or just adding my country of origin before landing in Canada?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Before arriving to Canada and during the big absence as you have mentioned above, i was residing in my country of origin and i traveled three times for business (Travels, total of 30 days). Do i need to detail this in the presence calculator as well? Or just adding my country of origin before landing in Canada?
When you list a trip which involves many countries, you only need to list the first one as a destination, and others as explanation.
In your case, a single entry with something like : "lived in home country before landing. Made 3 travels to Country A, Country B and Country C." should do the trick, unless of course one of those countries is Canada, in which case many entries are needed :)