+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied to EE outside Canada but currently in Canada and waiting for COPR, PPR etc.

joy857

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I am someone who applied for Express Entry PR outside of Canada and then came into Canada (back late last year) hoping to receive the PR within Canada. My ITA was In Oct 2019.

Now with COVID, I am stuck. IRCC knows that I am in Canada, they have my Canada address, they gave me PPR (on March 20), returned my passport (in July) without COPR (WTF moment), have approved my file (learn through GCSM), and I'm currently waiting for an update. I have called IRCC several times, and they all say the same mantra, "keep the faith, just wait."

I want to know if I am an odd duck sitting here, or are there any more people in the same predicament? @legalfalcon any advice other than to wait? Thank you.

Reactions: java8

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I am someone who applied for Express Entry PR outside of Canada and then came into Canada (back late last year) hoping to receive the PR within Canada. My ITA was In Oct 2019.

Now with COVID, I am stuck. IRCC knows that I am in Canada, they have my Canada address, they gave me PPR (on March 20), returned my passport (in July) without COPR (WTF moment), have approved my file (learn through GCSM), and I'm currently waiting for an update. I have called IRCC several times, and they all say the same mantra, "keep the faith, just wait."

I want to know if I am an odd duck sitting here, or are there any more people in the same predicament? @legalfalcon any advice other than to wait? Thank you.

Lately not many inland applicants have received any approvals.

Why was your passport returned

joy857

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
Lately not many inland applicants have received any approvals.

Why was your passport returned
@legalfalcon No idea. IRCC gave me a printed generic letter along with the returned passport saying that due to COVID, processes are delayed but this return of my passport does not affect my application. The letter states that I will need to wait for contact from IRCC. So far, no news from them.

My theory was that they would give me a call or an email to confirm, but nothing came after the return of my passport. I had to call and order my notes to find out that I am approved. I'm just perplexed as to why I am not given COPR since I am in Canada and an approved case.

I didn't know about the reduced approval of inland applicants, I thought they are trying to clear as many as possible with the introduction of an online approval portal.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon No idea. IRCC gave me a printed generic letter along with the returned passport saying that due to COVID, processes are delayed but this return of my passport does not affect my application. The letter states that I will need to wait for contact from IRCC. So far, no news from them.

My theory was that they would give me a call or an email to confirm, but nothing came after the return of my passport. I had to call and order my notes to find out that I am approved. I'm just perplexed as to why I am not given COPR since I am in Canada and an approved case.

I didn't know about the reduced approval of inland applicants, I thought they are trying to clear as many as possible with the introduction of an online approval portal.

Have you updated your address on the online portal.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/pr-confirmation-portal.html

IRCC has done away with physical visas and COPR for inland applicants. They now send a COPR via email and the COPR is validated immediately upon receiving.

joy857

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
Have you updated your address on the online portal.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/pr-confirmation-portal.html

IRCC has done away with physical visas and COPR for inland applicants. They now send a COPR via email and the COPR is validated immediately upon receiving.
@legalfalcon Isn't this portal only available for people who receive an email from IRCC? I didn't receive any email from them after receiving my passport. Is there a webpage link where I can update it? Thank you.

Lachelle

Sep 25, 2017
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
April 2019
AOR Received.
09-05-2019
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
February 17,2020
VISA ISSUED...
February 27,2020
Me too applied outside but currently inside canada and not landed yet. Received copr 1st week of March but until now have not heard anything how to confirm my status. Yes the portal is only for those who receive an email from them

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon Isn't this portal only available for people who receive an email from IRCC? I didn't receive any email from them after receiving my passport. Is there a webpage link where I can update it? Thank you.

This is after your application is approved. If your GCMS notes show that your app is approved, you can send a webform with your intent to use the portal and wait for IRCC to create your account.

Lachelle

Sep 25, 2017
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
April 2019
AOR Received.
09-05-2019
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
February 17,2020
VISA ISSUED...
February 27,2020
This is after your application is approved. If your GCMS notes show that your app is approved, you can send a webform with your intent to use the portal and wait for IRCC to create your account.
Is this also applicable if your copr got expired and was not able land due to covid?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Is this also applicable if your copr got expired and was not able land due to covid?

The link is only for applicants in Canada.

Lachelle

Sep 25, 2017
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
April 2019
AOR Received.
09-05-2019
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
February 17,2020
VISA ISSUED...
February 27,2020

joy857

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
I received a call from IRCC today and it was to confirm my PR! :D
The lady was very nice and asked me several questions (my current address, if I have any criminal record in Canada, if I have kids/married in any parts of the world etc)
COPR will be mailed to me and also electronically sent. (I'ved checked my online profile, it's updated!)

Apparently, I'm an odd duck because, before covid, this phone calling process is only available for students/work permit who have been in Canada for at least 2 years. Because of this pandemic and I can't leave, I've been put into this group too. So for anyone out there who is in the same situation as me, all I can say (which I know it doesn't mean much but I feel it gives you comfort) don't give up!

Contact IRCC to check once every few months to make sure you are aware of your process status. This forum has been a refuge for me and many others. Thank you @legalfalcon and the many others who kept the faith.

Peace out!~

Reactions: legalfalcon

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I received a call from IRCC today and it was to confirm my PR! :D
The lady was very nice and asked me several questions (my current address, if I have any criminal record in Canada, if I have kids/married in any parts of the world etc)
COPR will be mailed to me and also electronically sent. (I'ved checked my online profile, it's updated!)

Apparently, I'm an odd duck because, before covid, this phone calling process is only available for students/work permit who have been in Canada for at least 2 years. Because of this pandemic and I can't leave, I've been put into this group too. So for anyone out there who is in the same situation as me, all I can say (which I know it doesn't mean much but I feel it gives you comfort) don't give up!

Contact IRCC to check once every few months to make sure you are aware of your process status. This forum has been a refuge for me and many others. Thank you @legalfalcon and the many others who kept the faith.

Peace out!~
Congratulations!!
All the best for the journey ahead!

Reactions: joy857

java8

Dec 15, 2020
@joy857 Did the call for confirmation of PR on 3rd December happen automatically or after you sent a webform as suggested by @legalfalcon.

I am in the same situation and my passport got returned to me yesterday after 2.5 months of waiting with the same generic letter. Our area MP confirmed that our file has been approved which seems reasonable since we were asked for the passport as well. I applied from outside Canada and am now inside Canada. Any other suggestion to get this moving in our case?