+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied from U.S.A - Fall 2020. Study Permit Tracking

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Applied For : SP
Applied on : June 1st week
AIP : 23 AUG 2020
So your study permit was approved ??? July 2020 yet you received first stage notification 23 August 2020. This is exactly what I am expecting to see in my daughter's notes which I hope will come in the next few days.

It's great news for you but it must make you also really cross. Just imagine how many 1000s are in the same position.

Ryerson2020

Star Member
May 6, 2020
So your study permit was approved ??? July 2020 yet you received first stage notification 23 August 2020. This is exactly what I am expecting to see in my daughter's notes which I hope will come in the next few days.

It's great news for you but it must make you also really cross. Just imagine how many 1000s are in the same position.
Looks like they have approved but I haven’t received passport request yet and these things are in my GCMS notes and I hope later IRCC shouldn’t revoke their decision

intelextreme

Star Member
Oct 7, 2017
Hi Guys,

I got my GSMS notes yesterday , can someone let me know regarding below statement and can i assume that i will get phase 2 approval.

PRIMARY OFFICE : CPC-OTTAWA
SECONDARY OFFICE : LOS ANGELES

Permit :
created date :--
created by :--
document #: g324340234
VALID UPTO Nov 2021
User remarks : May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w)

Counterfoil:
data of issue : July
Valid up to : Nov 21
# of entries : MULTIPLE
Upper machine readable line : some code is their
lower machine readable line : some code is their

Notes: 1
Created date :---
Created By:--
Restricted : No
Label : General
Office : CPC-OTTAWA
Text : LOA Provided. Funds ok. Satisfied PA is a genuine student. Approved
May I ask what page you see the Counterfoil and Permit section? Like where they are located near? Thanks.

Ryerson2020

Star Member
May 6, 2020
May I ask what page you see the Counterfoil and Permit section? Like where they are located near? Thanks.
I can see permit on 11th page and Counterfoil on 13th Page. In permit and Counterfoil section i can see my visa expire date as well i.e Nov 2021 , there is one outgoing section (documents which IRCC will send to application) for Original passport request where they have mentioned due date 11-Oct-2020

Reactions: phuongdong

intelextreme

Star Member
Oct 7, 2017
I can see permit on 11th page and Counterfoil on 13th Page. In permit and Counterfoil section i can see my visa expire date as well i.e Nov 2021 , there is one outgoing section (documents which IRCC will send to application) for Original passport request where they have mentioned due date 11-Oct-2020
The passport request due date on mine already passed lol. It seems like that date does not matter as well.

Reactions: suhelm

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
That Print queue date does not mean the literary "due date" for passport request letter because some people actually have gcms note and that date has passed for days. For the "Activity Section", do you notice any weird thing?? How about "Organization & Entities", what does it show on your note?

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
What is up with the "passport request" you and others are talking about? I got my study permit approved and in the LOI it states that I just need to bring the letter to the PoE and then will receive my study permit. Why does everyone talk about passport requests? I was never asked to submit my passport other than when I did biometrics in person back in Feb 2020.

This is a copy/past of part of my approval letter:

Your application to study in Canada has been approved. A permit authorizing your studies will be
issued to you on your arrival to Canada following an examination by an officer of the Canada
Border Services Agency, subject to your compliance with the requirements of the Immigration and
Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations. The officer will ask to see this letter, your passport
and may request to see your supporting documents, such as the letter of acceptance from your
educational institution. Do not pack these or other valuable papers in your checked luggage. You
can find out more about which documents you will need to bring with you by visiting
As you gather your documents, please take note of the following:
• This letter is not a passport or travel document. You will not be permitted to board your
flight without
your passport, even if you have this letter with you.
• This letter is not an authorization permitting you to enter or remain in Canada. An
officer of the Canada Border Services Agency will make that determination upon your arrival
to Canada.
• This letter is important because it contains information that will be used by the Canada
Border Services Agency to issue your study permit. Please do not misplace it.
You must seek entry to Canada to obtain your study permit by (yyyy/mm/dd). Your
passport must be valid beyond the period you intend to remain in Canada. If not, the validity of
your study permit will not be issued beyond the expiry date of your passport, or, for United States
citizens and permanent residents, the validity date of your identity document.
Note: As an international student in Canada, it is your responsibility to ensure that you continue
to meet the conditions of your study permit, including the requirement to actively pursue studies.
Your study permit will automatically become invalid 90 days after you complete your study
program, regardless of the expiry date indicated on your study permit. For more information,
please consult: .

Looks like they have approved but I haven’t received passport request yet and these things are in my GCMS notes and I hope later IRCC shouldn’t revoke their decision

Last edited:
Reactions: Lola2019

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
What is up with the "passport request" you and others are talking about? I got my study permit approved and in the LOI it states that I just need to bring the letter to the PoE and then will receive my study permit. Why does everyone talk about passport requests? I was never asked to submit my passport other than when I did biometrics in person back in Feb 2020.
"Passport request" is the last step for people applying for Canada student visa, and literally this step ensures that your application is finally approved. If you are US Citizen or countries exempt with eTRV, then you will not have to get your visa stamping step (requiring passport sent to VACs). People here are in panic situation because schools start, but the updates from IRCC show up nothing or very little: 2-stage process introduced to implement their visa and some have been waiting for months (from March).

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020

This is a copy/past of part of my approval letter:

Your application to study in Canada has been approved. A permit authorizing your studies will be
issued to you on your arrival to Canada following an examination by an officer of the Canada
Border Services Agency, subject to your compliance with the requirements of the Immigration and
Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations. The officer will ask to see this letter, your passport
and may request to see your supporting documents, such as the letter of acceptance from your
educational institution. Do not pack these or other valuable papers in your checked luggage. You
can find out more about which documents you will need to bring with you by visiting
As you gather your documents, please take note of the following:
• This letter is not a passport or travel document. You will not be permitted to board your
flight without
your passport, even if you have this letter with you.
• This letter is not an authorization permitting you to enter or remain in Canada. An
officer of the Canada Border Services Agency will make that determination upon your arrival
to Canada.
• This letter is important because it contains information that will be used by the Canada
Border Services Agency to issue your study permit. Please do not misplace it.
You must seek entry to Canada to obtain your study permit by (yyyy/mm/dd). Your
passport must be valid beyond the period you intend to remain in Canada. If not, the validity of
your study permit will not be issued beyond the expiry date of your passport, or, for United States
citizens and permanent residents, the validity date of your identity document.
Note: As an international student in Canada, it is your responsibility to ensure that you continue
to meet the conditions of your study permit, including the requirement to actively pursue studies.
Your study permit will automatically become invalid 90 days after you complete your study
program, regardless of the expiry date indicated on your study permit. For more information,
please consult: .
You're not a visa national. Most in this group are.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
I see. Thanks for the clarification. I assumed that in this thread most are US citizens or US permanent residents which seems to not be the case.

"Passport request" is the last step for people applying for Canada student visa, and literally this step ensures that your application is finally approved. If you are US Citizen or countries exempt with eTRV, then you will not have to get your visa stamping step (requiring passport sent to VACs). People here are in panic situation because schools start, but the updates from IRCC show up nothing or very little: 2-stage process introduced to implement their visa and some have been waiting for months (from March).

lamen22

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
Hey guys, I read somewhere on one of these forums that ircc is looking to get back with final decisions by the end of September, is that true?

Also, What are you guys doing in terms of your status in the US? Like being on an OPT grace period, is that something that should be conveyed through web form to ircc or not?

I submitted an application and biometrics before OPT expired and received AIP later (after expiry while on grace period). So it seems like there's no issue with it because I'm still in legal standing here in the US.
The grace period will end soon and I will file adjustment of status to change to another one (and maintain legal status) while I wait to hear back for the study permit application.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Got it, though US citizens do not necessarily need a passport to enter Canada. A birth certificate or certificate of naturalization is sufficient. US PRs can enter Canada with their green card.

Nations that are visa-free on particular type of entry. For example, between US-Canada you can enter to Canada as long as holding a US citizenship passport and vice versa.

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
I see. Thanks for the clarification. I assumed that in this thread most are US citizens or US permanent residents which seems to not be the case.
Yeah I understand. IRCC becomes a mess nowadays in such a way that holding the decision or even do nothing updates for students. Good luck since you are already settled in Canada during this hardship time.