+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for PR, AOR not yet received but WP expires tomorrow, what to do?

Max Continuous

Nov 24, 2014
I am currently in Canada and employed as a TFW (skilled category, pilot). My current work permit is employer sponsored and I've been here for nearly two years. I applied for PR as soon as I met all requirements this October, but I have not yet received my AOR (5 weeks as of today).

Here's the problem: my work permit expires tomorrow, and without the AOR I am not qualified for another. So by tomorrow my understanding according to cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp is that I have to either:

A) leave the country

B) apply to change my status to tourist, stop working and wait for the AOR, THEN apply for a BOWP, wait until I get it and start working again

C) apply for a new WP and get implied status, keep working for a bit, but possibly get denied the WP due to lack of AOR. Unless the AOR is issued in the mean time.

What is my best option here? My employer is aware of the situation and I can stop work tomorrow, naturally this isn't what I want to do. I was hoping to get the AOR in time to get my application in the mail and maintain employment on implied status, but it doesn't look good. Should I apply for the WP anyhow and hope the AOR gets issued in the meantime? Or change status to tourist and hold off until I receive the AOR, in which case I can't work until I get the BOWP?

If I do apply, and my application gets rejected next week or whenever, due to lack of AOR, will it hurt my chances of ever getting a BOWP?

Has anyone had luck talking to CIC on the phone?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Max Continuous said:
I am currently in Canada and employed as a TFW (skilled category, pilot). My current work permit is employer sponsored and I've been here for nearly two years. I applied for PR as soon as I met all requirements this October, but I have not yet received my AOR (5 weeks as of today).

Oh dear, what stream did you apply under - was it Arranged employment? You have to maintain a work permit to remain eligible under that class. (CEC might have been a better choice).

Here's the problem: my work permit expires tomorrow, and without the AOR I am not qualified for another. So by tomorrow my understanding is that I have to either:

A) leave the country

B) apply to change my status to tourist, stop working and wait for the AOR, THEN apply for a BOWP, wait until I get it and start working again

One of the requirements for a BOWP is that you have a valid work permit. Once your permit expires, if you haven't already applied, you are no longer eligible for a BOWP.

C) apply for a new WP and get implied status, keep working for a bit, but possibly get denied the WP due to lack of AOR. Unless the AOR is issued in the mean time.

That is the "punt" option. Normally I would suggest applying on paper, since it takes longer to process, and gives you more time to get the AOR. But I assume that work permits are the same as PR applications - your application would have to be received by tomorrow at the latest. You could apply online and get it in on time, but those are usually processed faster, so more likely to be refused for not having the AOR.

If your application is made before the old one expires, you can continue working under the same conditions as your old permit under "implied status," at least until you get a response.

joolery

Aug 13, 2014
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
AOR Received.
19-11-2014
Med's Request
12-01-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
Decision Made - 29-02-2016 (Visa Exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2016
LANDED..........
18-03-2016
Paper application would have been ideal. It's most likely too late to overnight an application to Vegreville now.

Apply online TODAY. Mention your situation in your cover letter.

As jes_ON said you can't apply for BOWP once your existing permit has expired.

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
I recommend apply for paper based bridging open work permit tonight or tomorrow.. you only applied for PR 5 weeks back and i would expect you to get AOR after another 7-8 weeks considering current timelines.. so if you apply online BOWP it would definitely get processed within the 7-8 weeks and the CIC will not find an AOR on your profile.. and online BOWP will be rejected

Paper based BOWP takes around 8-10 weeks to get processed.. thus we would expect you to have AOR by then on your profile and by the time CIC starts processing your BOWP application they will issue you BOWP if they find AOR on your profile.

So in order to gain maximum time.. so you are sure you get AOR before your BOWP application is processed.. apply paper based and im sure u will get your BOWP.

You cannot apply for BOWP once your current workpermit has expired.. in order to be eligible for BOWP, your existing workpermit has to be valid.. so i suggest apply tonight or tomorrow using paper based application.. I mailed my application 1 day before my PGWP expired and i got my BOWP after almost 2.5 months..

I was in exact similar situaiton and it worked for me.. if u need a letter to send to CIC along with your BOWP application then let me know.. Msg me inbox.

rajapr17

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
I suggest to apply through online as early as possible because it will take few hours to get your application number.

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
For OP case Paper based Application will be fine.
Good Luck

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
rajapr17 said:
I suggest to apply through online as early as possible because it will take few hours to get your application number.
It does not matter.. application # is not necessary.. i applied paper based 1 day before my PGWP expired and got my BOWP after 10 weeks.. what matters is the applicaiton is sent when current WP is active and the officer finds AOR on applicants profile at the time of processing the BOWP applicaiton.

N_rockstar

Dec 27, 2013
I strongly recommend apply for work permit now. You have to reach the application before mid night. so online is better. write a cover letter and tell your situation.

Max Continuous

Nov 24, 2014
Thanks a lot everyone for your replies.

I now understand that I have to go with this option:

C) Apply for BOWP by tomorrow, hope for AOR in the mean time

otherwise I am not eligible for a BOWP at all, meaning will be out of work and out of the country until some time next year or whenever my PR gets issued

The question seems to be whether to go for the paper or electronic route. Electronic means that my application would be RECEIVED by the end of tomorrow, but likely also get refused within a short time, due to my still missing AOR.

Paper would mean that there is a better chance for my AOR to be issued before the BOWP application is processed, meaning I would have a chance to stay continuously employed. However the application will obviously not be received before my current WP expires.

Looking at the "extend your stay" FAQs on cic.gc.ca I find this:

Can I keep working if my permit expires? How do I prove this to my employer?

Yes, if you applied for a work permit extension before your work permit expired, you can keep working until a decision is made on your application.

You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original work permit. For instance, if you have an employer-specific work permit, you must still work for the employer named on that permit.

CIC does not provide confirmation that you have implied status in Canada. However, you should keep proof that you submitted the application before your work permit expired. This includes copies of the application, the fee receipt, and something that confirms the date it was sent and delivered.

Does this mean that it is sufficient to SUBMIT the paper application (to the post office?) before the WP expired? If I send off my application by registered mail and keep proof of this, I should be ok for now then?

mezumrizvi's experience seems to indicate that this is the case then?

Maxwell 12345

Jun 27, 2014
Yes absolutely they will ask you for the proof that it was sent before the work permit expired. i would strongly suggest you to apply via paper.
wish you good luck. :D

kkrr

Star Member
Mar 23, 2014
to apply paper based application u need to pay the fee online.. so u will get receipt.. pay the fee today itself if possible.. also post the application tomorrow and keep the bill.. that's all u need to do.. u r all set.. don't worry..

Max Continuous said:
Thanks a lot everyone for your replies.

I now understand that I have to go with this option:

C) Apply for BOWP by tomorrow, hope for AOR in the mean time

otherwise I am not eligible for a BOWP at all, meaning will be out of work and out of the country until some time next year or whenever my PR gets issued

The question seems to be whether to go for the paper or electronic route. Electronic means that my application would be RECEIVED by the end of tomorrow, but likely also get refused within a short time, due to my still missing AOR.

Paper would mean that there is a better chance for my AOR to be issued before the BOWP application is processed, meaning I would have a chance to stay continuously employed. However the application will obviously not be received before my current WP expires.

Looking at the "extend your stay" FAQs on cic.gc.ca I find this:

Does this mean that it is sufficient to SUBMIT the paper application (to the post office?) before the WP expired? If I send off my application by registered mail and keep proof of this, I should be ok for now then?

mezumrizvi's experience seems to indicate that this is the case then?

Max Continuous

Nov 24, 2014
thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. I did pay the fee online and have the receipt and everything else ready to send, which I will do tomorrow morning first thing. Hopefully everything will go smoothly from here on.

Sending:
- IMM5556E Checklist
- IMM5710E Application form, filled out according to tips received on this forum
- Extra page 3 of IMM5710E due to long employment history
- Receipt for fee payment
- Explanation letter with reference to OB485
- Copy of passport and stamps
- Copy of current work permit, still valid as of tomorrow

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
Max Continuous said:
thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. I did pay the fee online and have the receipt and everything else ready to send, which I will do tomorrow morning first thing. Hopefully everything will go smoothly from here on.

Sending:
- IMM5556E Checklist
- IMM5710E Application form, filled out according to tips received on this forum
- Extra page 3 of IMM5710E due to long employment history
- Receipt for fee payment
- Explanation letter with reference to OB485
- Copy of passport and stamps
- Copy of current work permit, still valid as of tomorrow
All the best.. hopefully it will work out :)

Dan-Ana

Jan 7, 2015
Need help PLEASE- I applied thru CEC last Dec. 1,2014 then received by CIC Sydney ,NS Dec.5,2014 ( with my WP expires this January16,2015 the license immigrant consultant advised me to apply with the BOWP same time with my PR app thu CEC ( I have a copy of the 155$ payment receipt from cic online) AM I UNDER IMPLIED STATUS after January 16,2015 and can I still work with my same employer?
PLEASE I AM NEW HERE ON THIS SITE- I am really confuse and worried right now.
ANY MESSAGE - advise will be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
Dan-Ana said:
Need help PLEASE- I applied thru CEC last Dec. 1,2014 then received by CIC Sydney ,NS Dec.5,2014 ( with my WP expires this January16,2015 the license immigrant consultant advised me to apply with the BOWP same time with my PR app thu CEC ( I have a copy of the 155$ payment receipt from cic online) AM I UNDER IMPLIED STATUS after January 16,2015 and can I still work with my same employer?
PLEASE I AM NEW HERE ON THIS SITE- I am really confuse and worried right now.
ANY MESSAGE - advise will be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
Hi,
applying without AOR should be done on paper couple of days before your current WP expires and not along with the PR application. It was a big mistake. This way I am not sure if you get your AOR before CIC start processing your BOWP application. Without AOR your BWOP will be refused.
And yes, you can continue working on implies status which starts from Jan 16th.