+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied and withdrew a refugee claim as a minor in 2002, would like to apply for express entry now

EESeeker

May 22, 2019
Hi,

I am hoping this is the correct place to post. Back in 2001/2002, my mom along with my 2 sisters and me (11 year old male), moved to Canada from US and applied for a refuge status (family persecution from husband's side I think).

After a month or two in Canada, my mom decided not to stay anymore as she got severely depressed and we moved back to Pakistan (home country) to our grandparents (her parents). She withdrew the application during this time, we had to sign some paper at the exit and flew out.

Now I am 28 and would like to apply for the express entry. I have been living in EU for past 10 years, have a Phd and I am eligible with a really high score (480ish).

My question is, will this be a factor in my application for express entry? I assume I would have to disclose this refugee incident as I imagine my fingerprints are somewhere in the system and I rather not have them come up after I have hid this bit from the immigration.

The problem is that I am not sure about all the details as I was 11 years old and my mother does not recall everything about the process/paperwork.

Is there a way to find out what I went though back then? Any advice on how to proceed here will be really beneficial.

Last edited:

Lovely-Canada

Star Member
Jun 17, 2018
Back in early 2000, there was no requirement for finger prints. Secondly fingerprints are for adults.
I dont think so your fingerprints are in the system.
Thirdly, if application were pulled off, you are eligible to come back Canada Anytime.
And as a minor, you dont don't carry any responsibility of any application filed by your parents.
Yes you will have to mention about your travel history.
And there is no harm mentioning about your refugee case in the application as there won't be any negative impact on your Express entry application. Above is my personal point of view and not a legal advice

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
A withdrawn refugee application nearly 20 years ago (and on which you were a minor dependent) will not affect your Express Entry application in any way.

You can explain what you remember in a letter of explanation, but don't worry about it. I don't even think you need to enter this in travel history since you only have to talk about travel since you turned 18 (or in the past ten years if you're older than 28).

Jan 10, 2017
Hi,

I am hoping this is the correct place to post. Back in 2001/2002, my mom along with my 2 sisters and me (11 year old male), moved to Canada from US and applied for a refuge status (family persecution from husband's side I think).

After a month or two in Canada, my mom decided not to stay anymore as she got severely depressed and we moved back to Pakistan (home country) to our grandparents (her parents). She withdrew the application during this time, we had to sign some paper at the exit and flew out.

Now I am 28 and would like to apply for the express entry. I have been living in EU for past 10 years, have a Phd and I am eligible with a really high score (480ish).

My question is, will this be a factor in my application for express entry? I assume I would have to disclose this refugee incident as I imagine my fingerprints are somewhere in the system and I rather not have them come up after I have hid this bit from the immigration.

The problem is that I am not sure about all the details as I was 11 years old and my mother does not recall everything about the process/paperwork.

Is there a way to find out what I went though back then? Any advice on how to proceed here will be really beneficial.
You have to mentioned it and don't worry they won't ask you detail about your claim because Canadian immigration can check everything in their system if by chance they ask you for detail just let them know that it's been many years and you don't remember anything. Good luck!!

EESeeker

May 22, 2019
You have to mentioned it and don't worry they won't ask you detail about your claim because Canadian immigration can check everything in their system if by chance they ask you for detail just let them know that it's been many years and you don't remember anything. Good luck!!
Thanks, I will definitely do that. I was just wondering if I should be checking before hand and applying for an ARC or not?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks, I will definitely do that. I was just wondering if I should be checking before hand and applying for an ARC or not?
No, there is no need to apply for an ARC.. an ARC is for people who have been banned from Canada, deported, etc. You are none of that.

EESeeker

May 22, 2019
Back in early 2000, there was no requirement for finger prints. Secondly fingerprints are for adults.
I dont think so your fingerprints are in the system.
Thirdly, if application were pulled off, you are eligible to come back Canada Anytime.
And as a minor, you dont don't carry any responsibility of any application filed by your parents.
Yes you will have to mention about your travel history.
And there is no harm mentioning about your refugee case in the application as there won't be any negative impact on your Express entry application. Above is my personal point of view and not a legal advice
Thank you for your reply. I am about to submit my application. There is a section on the last page (personal history), called "statuary questions" where they ask;

Has APPLICANT made previous claims for refugee protection in Canada or at a Canadian visa office abroad, in any other country or countries, or with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)?​

This is where I enter my details that I mentioned here right? Should I also mention it in a separate letter?

I do not think it falls under my "travel history" as it was not within the last 10 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I am about to submit my application. There is a section on the last page (personal history), called "statuary questions" where they ask;

Has APPLICANT made previous claims for refugee protection in Canada or at a Canadian visa office abroad, in any other country or countries, or with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)?​

This is where I enter my details that I mentioned here right? Should I also mention it in a separate letter?

I do not think it falls under my "travel history" as it was not within the last 10 years.
Yes you should mention your previous asylum claims. You may want to include a short letter of explanation if you are unfamiliar with what actually happened while in Canada.