+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Stages + What They Mean (MEP, IP1, IP2, Ghost Update...) - Version 2019

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
IRCC has introduced a number of changes in recent months and it is time to update our understanding of the post-AOR stages. I am simply building on the amazing work of @northern sunshine in developing an explanation of the various stages we can use - informally - to track the progress of our application. Huge thanks in particular to @USProgrammer who has posited the underlying trends and found evidence for them. In short, the traditional transition from IP1 to IP2 to ghost update to PPR still holds but in a modified way due to these changes.

From 31 Dec 2018, everyone except for Inland candidates has to provide their biometrics which means the default starting stage applicants will see for their Background Check is ‘IP2’ (“We are processing your background check…”), however, this is a ‘False IP2’, meaning an IP2 that has appeared before it is actually due as the application has not in fact progressed to the IP2 stage yet.

If you have an AOR of 31 Dec 2018 or later, follow the chart below to track your progress. Candidates will remain in a state of 'False IP2' throughout their application and only see a series of 'ghost updates' following their MEP; the first such ghost update (which should follow shortly after MEP) will signify your Real IP1, the second ghost update will signify your Real IP2, and the third will be your ‘Final’ Ghost Update, following which you are likely to receive your PPR.

If you have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018
, the chart also applies to you if you meet one or more of these conditions: you are a CEC or PNP-Inland candidate, you were required to provide your biometrics or you did not pay your RPRF upfront.

Note for FSW-Outland candidates who have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018: If you did not need to provide biometrics and paid your RPRF upfront, the old transition from NA1 all the way to a Final Ghost Update will still apply to you. Your Background Check should have started in NA1 ("Not Applicable" 1), meaning your Background Check status said "Not Applicable" right after you submitted your application.

General:
EE
- Express Entry: Canada's score-based program for economic immigrants
CRS - Comprehensive Ranking System: System for ranking candidates for EE
ITA - Invitation to Apply: an invitation to apply for permanent residence
e-APR - electronic Application for Permanent Residence: the online application for PR after receiving an ITA
RPRF - Right of Permanent Residence Fee: a fee collected as part of your PR application
AOR - Acknowledgement of Receipt (of application): email confirming receipt of your application after you submit and pay your fees
ADR - Additional Document Request: IRCC sends a message asking you to provide a specific document to supplement your application.

Post-submission stages:
False IP2
- Usually right from AOR or just after MEP. Background Check shows "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.”
MEP - Medicals passed: review of medical results changes from "You do not need a medical exam." to "You have passed the medical exam." There is no email for MEP.
Ghost Update - When you log in, the application says it's been "updated" but none of the fields have changed. Once you logout and log back in, the application returns to being "submitted". Ghost updates are not announced by email and a candidate must check their profile daily to not miss them.
Ghost Update #1 or Real IP1 - "In progress" 1: Background Check changes to "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check." Usually follows MEP. Some applicants (especially Inland and CEC) skip this stage. You should receive an email for your Real IP1 - the email will not provide any details, just that your application has been updated.
NA2 - "Not Applicable" 2: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP1. Some applicants skip this stage and it is easily missed. No email.
Ghost Update #2 or Real IP2 - "In progress" 2: Background Check changes to "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information." No email.
NA3 - "Not Applicable" 3: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP2 (uncommon).
Ghost Update #3 or Final Ghost Update - Often considered a sign that PPR is coming soon. Not seen by all applicants.
PPR - Passport request: IRCC sends "Ready for visa" e-mail asking you to submit your documents to your visa office so they can issue your CoPR and entry visa if applicable. A PPR is announced only by email, and there may be no changes made directly to the profile. If you are worried you might miss it, you can whitelist the email domain @cic.gc.ca to ensure the email comes straight to your inbox.
CoPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence: A document that says you've been approved for permanent residence.

Other notes:
1. The ‘eligibility’ and ‘final decision’ fields in your profile will not change to passed until after you receive your CoPR. This is an example of what a profile may look like following a CoPR.
2. Remember that these are not "official" stages, but they are used frequently throughout the forum to track the processing of applications.

This is a combined effort of @northern sunshine, @USProgrammer and myself. Please share your feedback - it is likely we have missed a few things!
Hi @derkdsou

Your effort and time is highly appreciated, for taking such dedication in sharing details of application processing. If I may however respectfully share my position on the matter.

As much as I agree with some things, I don't think I agree with the idea of analysing the process too much, as it more often than not cause confusion and frustration, rather than clarity.

-Where is my first ghost update?? Does that mean I'm still in IP1?? Oh wait hold on, just received PPR.
-I have received 3 ghost updates already, but GCMS says eligibility not started! IRCC agent on the phone confirms the same.

And so on...

These are the kind of questions that literally keep people from sleeping at night, thinking that their application isn't where it's supposed to be based on these principles. So much frustration has been caused because of so-called IP1/IP2/etc stages, where applicants made conclusions based on those false premises, only to find themselves even more dazed and confused. I don't think we should come up with a new system... Just let the old one die.

I don't think we should make the assumption that a first ghost update means that we completed so-called IP1, and a second ghost update means we completed IP2. What do IP1 and IP2 mean anyways?... I disagree with the idea that either false status means we completed eligibility or criminality or whatever. We have no evidence of that whatsoever, and I must say, more often than not, it's not true.

Some applicants have received ghost updates, with no actual progress being made on the application, with everything on GCMS notes showing "Not Started". Others on the other hand have never received any update at all, only to see a PPR pop-up out of nowhere!

Also, the problem lies in the fact that when applicants see these kinds of "rules", they think it applies to everyone, and get very frustrated when their application doesn't seem to follow the claimed trend, thinking it's going sideways and lose sleep over it!

If it was just up to me, I'd just tell everyone to just aim for 6 months processing time, and let it progress! What good does it do to know if you passed criminality?... Of course you'll pass it, your police reports say you're all good!

People will read this, and come back in 3-4 months and say, "Hey! I haven't received any updates! Does that mean there is no progress". There is no answer to that really...

But then again, people are naturally drawn to finding answers in things, and that's okay. But coming up with a system? I don't think it's the right thing, because it doesn't apply to everyone...

Like we say at home, maybe I just plunged my sword in water... But I do personally believe this new claimed system will continue to confuse people in thinking there are signs that give away where their application really is.

Cheers!

yiso91

Aug 19, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Passport Req..
29-11-2019
Hi @derkdsou

Your effort and time is highly appreciated, for taking such dedication in sharing details of application processing. If I may however respectfully share my position on the matter.

As much as I agree with some things, I don't think I agree with the idea of analysing the process too much, as it more often than not cause confusion and frustration, rather than clarity.

-Where is my first ghost update?? Does that mean I'm still in IP1?? Oh wait hold on, just received PPR.
-I have received 3 ghost updates already, but GCMS says eligibility not started! IRCC agent on the phone confirms the same.

And so on...

These are the kind of questions that literally keep people from sleeping at night, thinking that their application isn't where it's supposed to be based on these principles. So much frustration has been caused because of so-called IP1/IP2/etc stages, where applicants made conclusions based on those false premises, only to find themselves even more dazed and confused. I don't think we should come up with a new system... Just let the old one die.

I don't think we should make the assumption that a first ghost update means that we completed so-called IP1, and a second ghost update means we completed IP2. What do IP1 and IP2 mean anyways?... I disagree with the idea that either false status means we completed eligibility or criminality or whatever. We have no evidence of that whatsoever, and I must say, more often than not, it's not true.

Some applicants have received ghost updates, with no actual progress being made on the application, with everything on GCMS notes showing "Not Started". Others on the other hand have never received any update at all, only to see a PPR pop-up out of nowhere!

Also, the problem lies in the fact that when applicants see these kinds of "rules", they think it applies to everyone, and get very frustrated when their application doesn't seem to follow the claimed trend, thinking it's going sideways and lose sleep over it!

If it was just up to me, I'd just tell everyone to just aim for 6 months processing time, and let it progress! What good does it do to know if you passed criminality?... Of course you'll pass it, your police reports say you're all good!

People will read this, and come back in 3-4 months and say, "Hey! I haven't received any updates! Does that mean there is no progress". There is no answer to that really...

But then again, people are naturally drawn to finding answers in things, and that's okay. But coming up with a system? I don't think it's the right thing, because it doesn't apply to everyone...

Like we say at home, maybe I just plunged my sword in water... But I do personally believe this new claimed system will continue to confuse people in thinking there are signs that give away where their application really is.

Cheers!
Well said! Well said Mr.
You nailed it and I hope people would stop worrying too much about where they stand. It will come , when it come.

Reactions: hasithaviduranga

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hi @Peacekeeper87, thank you for this - I value your feedback. I think our intention behind posting this is not to cause worry, but to help answer and troubleshoot the simpler questions that people are coming with to the forums. There is already a lot of confusion around what an IP1 or IP2 mean and it is good to have one place where people can go to understand these terms. We are being explicit that all of this is informal and that these terms and methods of "tracking" one's application don't mean anything to IRCC. Finally, I'll add that different people deal with stress and anxiety differently - it's not all binary; more information doesn't mean less panic and vice versa. For someone like me, I deal with my anxiety by learning about and engaging with the progress of other people's applications. And isn't everything to be taken with a huge grain of salt on this forum anyway? Glad you have that PPR, and good to see you continuing to participate after this milestone!

Hi @derkdsou

And so on...

Cheers!

msballes16

Jun 13, 2018
Saudi Arabia
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-01-2019
Nomination.....
08-11-2018
AOR Received.
24-01-2019
At what stage usually do IRCC request for ADR, if needed? I received MEP on March 5, and the next day, received an email saying "your application was updated" but I observed no changes at all after loggin in. Thanks!

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
At what stage usually do IRCC request for ADR, if needed? I received MEP on March 5, and the next day, received an email saying "your application was updated" but I observed no changes at all after loggin in. Thanks!
At any time across the whole 6 month processing time.
Probability of getting ADR doesn't decrease with time.
Many applicants have received ADR for example for travel history or updated POF after 5-6 months.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
This is totally off-topic, but in which country/language do you say that? Does it have the same meaning as "carrying coal to Newcastle"? Really interested!
Yeah I think it does indeed!
We say it in French. "Donner un coup d'epée dans l'eau". Meaning you try to do something but it's totally useless and won't yield any results.
There is another one in Arabic (Morocco). Literally translated, you get "It's like I'm pouring water in sand". :D
There are plenty others but they're quite racist ... :p

g90

Sep 26, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
@derkdsou

Dear Derkdsou,

I have question for you please clarify this. Here is brief background:

I am outland paper-based PR applicant under AIPP stream. My AOR date is 8th Jan 2019. Done medicals on 22nd Jan 2019 but I could not clear them and have to give them sputum samples and will repeat chest x-ray after 3 month ( which will be 22nd April 2019). My wife and daughter cleared there exams but I am principal applicant.

Well my questions is : my PR file processing will be put on hold for further processing until I pass the medicals ???
or they will keep performing other checks and procedures while I am waiting for re-medicals ?

Looking forward to your and all other experts opinion please.

Regards
Hi
I am not @derkdsou but I want to answer your query as I am also facing the same medical furtherance.

And the answer is that your application will not be put on hold and it will be processed normally as others . Though your medical will remain under review until the results of further tests arrive.

BTW, Good Luck.

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
you guys want real response... lines have blurred on all thsese statuses now... because now 80% status update is program based which is in turn based on human intervention... so may or may not see all these imaginary status we have made

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
Wonderful, thank you for replying, @g90. @Gemini_june had actually written to me via PM as well, and my reply was more or less the same as yours.

Hi
I am not @derkdsou but I want to answer your query as I am also facing the same medical furtherance.

And the answer is that your application will not be put on hold and it will be processed normally as others . Though your medical will remain under review until the results of further tests arrive.

BTW, Good Luck.

Reactions: g90

Gemini_june

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Hi

BTW, Good Luck.
Hello ,
Thanks for your input. Really appreciate .Thanks and good luck to you as well.

Reactions: g90

Tristan71

Star Member
Jan 29, 2019
IRCC has introduced a number of changes in recent months and it is time to update our understanding of the post-AOR stages. I am simply building on the amazing work of @northern sunshine in developing an explanation of the various stages we can use - informally - to track the progress of our application. Huge thanks in particular to @USProgrammer who has posited the underlying trends and found evidence for them. In short, the traditional transition from IP1 to IP2 to ghost update to PPR still holds but in a modified way due to these changes.

From 31 Dec 2018, everyone except for Inland candidates has to provide their biometrics which means the default starting stage applicants will see for their Background Check is ‘IP2’ (“We are processing your background check…”), however, this is a ‘False IP2’, meaning an IP2 that has appeared before it is actually due as the application has not in fact progressed to the IP2 stage yet.

If you have an AOR of 31 Dec 2018 or later, follow the chart below to track your progress. Candidates will remain in a state of 'False IP2' throughout their application and only see a series of 'ghost updates' following their MEP; the first such ghost update (which should follow shortly after MEP) will signify your Real IP1, the second ghost update will signify your Real IP2, and the third will be your ‘Final’ Ghost Update, following which you are likely to receive your PPR.

If you have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018
, the chart also applies to you if you meet one or more of these conditions: you are a CEC or PNP-Inland candidate, you were required to provide your biometrics or you did not pay your RPRF upfront.

Note for FSW-Outland candidates who have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018: If you did not need to provide biometrics and paid your RPRF upfront, the old transition from NA1 all the way to a Final Ghost Update will still apply to you. Your Background Check should have started in NA1 ("Not Applicable" 1), meaning your Background Check status said "Not Applicable" right after you submitted your application.

General:
EE
- Express Entry: Canada's score-based program for economic immigrants
CRS - Comprehensive Ranking System: System for ranking candidates for EE
ITA - Invitation to Apply: an invitation to apply for permanent residence
e-APR - electronic Application for Permanent Residence: the online application for PR after receiving an ITA
RPRF - Right of Permanent Residence Fee: a fee collected as part of your PR application
AOR - Acknowledgement of Receipt (of application): email confirming receipt of your application after you submit and pay your fees
ADR - Additional Document Request: IRCC sends a message asking you to provide a specific document to supplement your application.

Post-submission stages:
False IP2
- Usually right from AOR or just after MEP. Background Check shows "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.”
MEP - Medicals passed: review of medical results changes from "You do not need a medical exam." to "You have passed the medical exam." There is no email for MEP.
Ghost Update - When you log in, the application says it's been "updated" but none of the fields have changed. Once you logout and log back in, the application returns to being "submitted". Ghost updates are not announced by email and a candidate must check their profile daily to not miss them.
Ghost Update #1 or Real IP1 - "In progress" 1: Background Check changes to "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check." Usually follows MEP. Some applicants (especially Inland and CEC) skip this stage. You should receive an email for your Real IP1 - the email will not provide any details, just that your application has been updated.
NA2 - "Not Applicable" 2: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP1. Some applicants skip this stage and it is easily missed. No email.
Ghost Update #2 or Real IP2 - "In progress" 2: Background Check changes to "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information." No email.
NA3 - "Not Applicable" 3: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP2 (uncommon).
Ghost Update #3 or Final Ghost Update - Often considered a sign that PPR is coming soon. Not seen by all applicants.
PPR - Passport request: IRCC sends "Ready for visa" e-mail asking you to submit your documents to your visa office so they can issue your CoPR and entry visa if applicable. A PPR is announced only by email, and there may be no changes made directly to the profile. If you are worried you might miss it, you can whitelist the email domain @cic.gc.ca to ensure the email comes straight to your inbox.
CoPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence: A document that says you've been approved for permanent residence.

Other notes:
1. The ‘eligibility’ and ‘final decision’ fields in your profile will not change to passed until after you receive your CoPR. This is an example of what a profile may look like following a CoPR.
2. Remember that these are not "official" stages, but they are used frequently throughout the forum to track the processing of applications.

This is a combined effort of @northern sunshine, @USProgrammer and myself. Please share your feedback - it is likely we have missed a few things!
Great research... Highly appreciated... But what will happen to FSW Outland Candidates with AOR before December 30, 2018 and with the biometrics requirement? Thanks in advance.

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hi @Tristan71, did your Background Check start out in False IP2 or NA1? Since you had to provide biometrics, I'm guessing False IP2, in which case the chart should apply to you. The ghost updates you see will signify your transition from IP1 to IP2 and so on.

Great research... Highly appreciated... But what will happen to FSW Outland Candidates with AOR before December 30, 2018 and with the biometrics requirement? Thanks in advance.