+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application sent with an expired police certificate (due to COVID). Should I resend certificate now or wait for AOR?

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Hi Guys,

Back in April, before I sent my application, I had an expired police certificate for the principal applicant and couldn't issue a new one because police offices were shut down due to COVID. I was advised to apply anyways with the expired certificate and write a note explaining why I can't issue a new one at the time of application and I would get 90 days after they start processing my application to submit any missing docs. I'm still waiting to hear back from CIC.
Now, I believe I can get a new police certificate issued, so my question is should I do that now and send it to CIC or wait till I hear from them? If I just wait, is there a risk they'll return my application due to the expired certificate? Also if I do send it now, how do I ensure they link it to my application since I don't have a reference number for my application except the receipt I got when I paid the fees? Any advice would be really appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Guys,

Back in April, before I sent my application, I had an expired police certificate for the principal applicant and couldn't issue a new one because police offices were shut down due to COVID. I was advised to apply anyways with the expired certificate and write a note explaining why I can't issue a new one at the time of application and I would get 90 days after they start processing my application to submit any missing docs. I'm still waiting to hear back from CIC.
Now, I believe I can get a new police certificate issued, so my question is should I do that now and send it to CIC or wait till I hear from them? If I just wait, is there a risk they'll return my application due to the expired certificate? Also if I do send it now, how do I ensure they link it to my application since I don't have a reference number for my application except the receipt I got when I paid the fees? Any advice would be really appreciated.
Personal opinion, you are best to get it now and try to submit. You can submit through webform. Provide all the information you can about your application (sponsor and applicant information) on the webform. I would submit electronically (scan) and hope they will accept that - at least if they see the electronic version they will know it exists.

Note, others here have noted it is hard to get a response to be sure they have received and linked it; it seems to take them some time.

Reactions: S76

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021
Hi Guys,

Call for your temporary number to link it but yes... Apply now. No reason to wait

Reactions: armoured and S76

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Thanks armoured and DiiDii! Didn't know you could submit a webform will check that out.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
hi, similar situation. applied with an almost expired background check. we're providing an updated check, but not sure how or when to submit (if should wait for AOR to link application). did you submit yours yet? were you able to get a temporary file number through the phone?

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
hi, similar situation. applied with an almost expired background check. we're providing an updated check, but not sure how or when to submit (if should wait for AOR to link application). did you submit yours yet? were you able to get a temporary file number through the phone?
If the report was valid on the date the application was delivered you should be okay. You can't submit any documents until you have a proper AOR1. Although - some people have recently reported getting notice of their OWP approval before receiving their AOR1 - so just keep an eye out for either.

Reactions: wsidd

S76

Mar 8, 2020
I haven't submitted mine yet nor did I get a temporary file number. I thought I should be waiting for an AOR to get the number. Didn't know one could phone in and get one. Will check it out. Thanks.

olufisayo77

Star Member
Nov 4, 2017
Please will like to know my application got delayed due to covid 19 in the process medical expired, passport expired application is over 22 months paper based. In the process of getting passport and medical renewed, please do i need to get new police report as well The police report is ore than a year with ircc Please answer with proof from ircc or practical example if you have one. Or general answer thanks

S76

Mar 8, 2020
In my case after I received AOR they sent me a request to send another police report which we did (we sent it via webform). Your case is different to mine because I had sent an expired report with the application itself. So I would suggest you contact IRCC directly regarding your case and check if you need to redo it or not.