+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application returned for not having most recent NOA

Snowflow

Sep 8, 2020
We sent in the application to sponsor my common law partner in Feb/March of 2020 when my 2019 taxes weren't complete. We just got it returned in the mail today for the reason of not having the most recent Notice of Assessment with line 150. When we applied I used my 2018 taxes as they were most recent at the time. Now am I supposed to include my 2019 or 2020 taxes when sending it back?

Is it because they took so long to look at the application my most recent taxes were out of date or is it possible that they missed the print outs of my taxes in the application supported documents?

Also on that note do I have to update any of the other forms in the application because of the change in dates?
I had similar situation back to March 2020, when I submitted my application. I gave an explanation letter to tell them I don't have NOA(since I just moved back to Canada in 2019) and will get it updated when I get it. I uploaded my NOA 2019 through webform in June and got SA in Dec. What I would suggest is to submit your application again with NOA 2019 and update NOA 2020 later.

Reactions: armoured

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I had similar situation back to March 2020, when I submitted my application. I gave an explanation letter to tell them I don't have NOA(since I just moved back to Canada in 2019) and will get it updated when I get it. I uploaded my NOA 2019 through webform in June and got SA in Dec. What I would suggest is to submit your application again with NOA 2019 and update NOA 2020 later.
If the OP can't or doesn't want to file the taxes now and wait for the NOA then I agree to do as you suggest and make sure to include a letter with the application explaining that it will be forwarded upon receipt.

Simar007_

Jan 4, 2021
We sent in the application to sponsor my common law partner in Feb/March of 2020 when my 2019 taxes weren't complete. We just got it returned in the mail today for the reason of not having the most recent Notice of Assessment with line 150. When we applied I used my 2018 taxes as they were most recent at the time. Now am I supposed to include my 2019 or 2020 taxes when sending it back?

Is it because they took so long to look at the application my most recent taxes were out of date or is it possible that they missed the print outs of my taxes in the application supported documents?

Also on that note do I have to update any of the other forms in the application because of the change in dates?
They returned your application after 12 months ? That’s so unfair and did you have a file number ?

AnthonyDomenic

Mar 14, 2019
They returned your application after 12 months ? That’s so unfair and did you have a file number ?
Nope nothing extra other than the noticed paper and the reason for returning. Super frustrating. I'm just filing my taxes now and re-sending. Really sucks to have wasted a year over almost nothing.

AnthonyDomenic

Mar 14, 2019
If the OP can't or doesn't want to file the taxes now and wait for the NOA then I agree to do as you suggest and make sure to include a letter with the application explaining that it will be forwarded upon receipt.
How would I go about forwarding in my 2020 NOA? By mail? How would the webform work if the application wasn't actually started?

At this point I'm just filing my 2020 taxes and then sending it in again. But if there is another way that could be helpful.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
How would I go about forwarding in my 2020 NOA? By mail? How would the webform work if the application wasn't actually started?

At this point I'm just filing my 2020 taxes and then sending it in again. But if there is another way that could be helpful.
Did you get a UCI number from your first application and have you already re-submitted your spousal application?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
If I don't get the NOA in time before the visitor visa expires should I just extend AGAIN saying I'm waiting for NOA plus receipt of Family Class Sponsorship etc?
Yes you should. Do you have an on-line CRA account? I believe the NOA is generated shortly after you have filed your taxes.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

Adding a note here. I checked my files and after e-filing my 2019 tax return last spring the NOA was on my CRA account 8 days later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amalthea