+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for first PR card

miki855

Apr 27, 2018
Hi everyone,

My husband and me are facing a very unpleasant situation and we are wondering if some of you went through the same.
We became permanent residents on September 27th, 2015, but we stayed in Canada only a few days as we needed to move back to Germany for work. For this reason, we didn't provide CIC with any Canadian address. Therefore, no PR card was sent to us. On April 4th, 2018, we re entered the country to settle here permanently and we sent the application for our first card. To our great surprise, we found out that we are considered as we are renewing our card. This unfortunately means we have to wait at least 100 days (latest update from CIC). What we also found out is that, without our PR card, no SIN number can be requested and so no possibility to work here for an indefinite period of time. My husband was supposed to start working a few days after our arrival but, because of the SIN number, he simply cannot. We are permanent residents but we cannot work, and this is quite discouraging.
Did some of you face the same situation? How much did you wait? Were you contacted for a secondary review?

Thank you very much in advance

Regards,

Michela

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

My husband and me are facing a very unpleasant situation and we are wondering if some of you went through the same.
We became permanent residents on September 27th, 2015, but we stayed in Canada only a few days as we needed to move back to Germany for work. For this reason, we didn't provide CIC with any Canadian address. Therefore, no PR card was sent to us. On April 4th, 2018, we re entered the country to settle here permanently and we sent the application for our first card. To our great surprise, we found out that we are considered as we are renewing our card. This unfortunately means we have to wait at least 100 days (latest update from CIC). What we also found out is that, without our PR card, no SIN number can be requested and so no possibility to work here for an indefinite period of time. My husband was supposed to start working a few days after our arrival but, because of the SIN number, he simply cannot. We are permanent residents but we cannot work, and this is quite discouraging.
Did some of you face the same situation? How much did you wait? Were you contacted for a secondary review?

Regards,

Michela
Hi

You should expect to wait the stated processing time. As you have been PRs for less than 3 years, there will be no secondary review.

Reactions: miki855

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

Regards,

Michela
You do not need a PR card to get a SIN... you are required to provide proof of legal status in Canada...
That said you can use the Confirmation Of Permanent Resident you used to do your landing then get your SIN numbers
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/reports/apply.html#docs

miki855

Apr 27, 2018
Thank you very much for your suggestion but, unfortunately, the Confirmation of Permanent Resident is not valid to get the SIN in our case.

"Note: The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a permanent resident."

Unfortunately it's too old for us. We went in person to ask for the SIN and that's how we realized how unfortunate our situation is.
We are penalized compared to other PRs: new comers can get the SIN by simply showing their COPR while the ones who are renewing their PR card do not certainly need to worry about it. No temporary SIN can be issued in our case and, even with an employment contract, there is no way out.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Thank you very much for your suggestion but, unfortunately, the Confirmation of Permanent Resident is not valid to get the SIN in our case.

"Note: The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a permanent resident."

Unfortunately it's too old for us. We went in person to ask for the SIN and that's how we realized how unfortunate our situation is.
We are penalized compared to other PRs: new comers can get the SIN by simply showing their COPR while the ones who are renewing their PR card do not certainly need to worry about it. No temporary SIN can be issued in our case and, even with an employment contract, there is no way out.
Your case is perculiar but after going through the operating manuals for issuance of PR cards , your case would qualify under urgent processing....
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/urgent.html

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf27-eng.pdf

Reactions: miki855

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018

Hi

Were you able to find any resolution to this... I am landing in July and unfortunately in the same boat!!

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi everyone,

Regards,

Michela

Hello

I
Also, since I went back the same day did not apply for a pr card. Which form should I use now to apply for a pr card...there seem to be 2 links in the cic website 1 https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-renew-replace-permanent-resident-card.html
2 https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

miki855

Apr 27, 2018
Hi

Were you able to find any resolution to this... I am landing in July and unfortunately in the same boat!!
Hi,

Unfortunately there is no other way than waiting. We tried everything, like contacting the immigration office, and even writing a letter flagged as urgent where we explained our absurd situation. So far, no reply at all from them (they received our application on April 9th). Be prepared to a long waiting (117 days as of today but they keep adding days every week). Good luck!

Reactions: seamarine

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi everyone,

Regards,

Michela
Hello

Just wanted to follow up and ask you if you were able to resolve this quickly.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi

Easy solution - just make sure you apply for SIN as soon as you land as a PR. You can even do this at some airports.

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi,

Unfortunately there is no other way than waiting. We tried everything, like contacting the immigration office, and even writing a letter flagged as urgent where we explained our absurd situation. So far, no reply at all from them (they received our application on April 9th). Be prepared to a long waiting (117 days as of today but they keep adding days every week). Good luck!

Oh Gosh...how are you managing without a SIN #, apart from work is it not needed for any other essentials ?

miki855

Apr 27, 2018
Oh Gosh...how are you managing without a SIN #, apart from work is it not needed for any other essentials ?
In our case only work is the big concern. However, you certainly need it to open a bank account. Luckily, for the RAMQ card it's not necessary.

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
In our case only work is the big concern. However, you certainly need it to open a bank account. Luckily, for the RAMQ card it's not necessary.
Hi

Does that mean you are not having a bank account there? I am reading in other websites that you can open a no interest bank account without a sin #.