+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
Hi friends, another question: I have been on T4 since 2016 and have filed my taxes every year. Only for the year 2016, I had filed it late in 2018 along with my 2017 taxes, and I do not have any taxes owing to CRA. But I am just curious to see if you all know whether IRCC or CRA will audit my taxes as a part of citizenship grant? I don't have anything to hide as my taxes were deducted by my employer, and I do not really qualify for a lot of tax credits, just curious if this adds time to the processing?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi friends, another question: I have been on T4 since 2016 and have filed my taxes every year. Only for the year 2016, I had filed it late in 2018 along with my 2017 taxes, and I do not have any taxes owing to CRA. But I am just curious to see if you all know whether IRCC or CRA will audit my taxes as a part of citizenship grant? I don't have anything to hide as my taxes were deducted by my employer, and I do not really qualify for a lot of tax credits, just curious if this adds time to the processing?
Did you check your CRA online account to review the info between 2016 and 2021 ?
There would be a section for Tax return which will provide you this info about the returns filed, assessed and reassessed.
That will help you clear the air...
imho if you have all the info on your account, I don't think IRCC will have any issues.
All what they are pehaps looking into is that have you as part of the obligation filed your taxes or not..

Reactions: khushit

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
Did you check your CRA online account to review the info between 2016 and 2021 ?
There would be a section for Tax return which will provide you this info about the returns filed, assessed and reassessed.
That will help you clear the air...
imho if you have all the info on your account, I don't think IRCC will have any issues.
All what they are pehaps looking into is that have you as part of the obligation filed your taxes or not..
Thanks! Yes, I can see that my taxes from 2016-2020 come up as 'Assessed' along with the NOA on my CRA account.

Reactions: abbas.pasha

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
Hi all, I am hoping for some additional guidance on tax filing requirement for my spouse for 2016. So here is the story: I was living and working in Canada on a work permit in 2016 and my spouse obtained an OWP and visited Canada for 2 weeks, and because he had an open work permit, they issued him a SIN on arrival at the airport. But he had no bank account, no health card, and had a full-time permanent job in India and was living and working there. He then moved to Canada in June 2017 on OWP, and eventually became a PR in August 2017. He also had income for all years starting 2017. So has filed his taxes for 2017-2020. But our question is whether he would be considered a tax resident for 2016? On the surface it appears that he was not required to file taxes since he did not have any Canadian income, did not owe taxes, and did not want to claim any benefits (Do you have to file a tax return?), but we have found conflicting resources where it appears that he may be have to file since he will be considered a resident with significant ties (Determine your residency status) as I (his spouse) was living and working in Canada. Any similar experiences from members of this forum and the approach you took would be greatly appreciated.

We are aware that we are required to file only for 3/5 years for the citizenship application, and he meets that requirement for 4/5 years (2017-2020). However, we would like to answer the 'Required to file' part of the question accurately as 'Yes' if he was required to file. Also, if he was indeed required to file, we prefer to file the tax for that year and then apply. In that case, we see that we can't NET file for 2016 anymore and will have to do a paper filing which takes about 6-8 weeks. So our question is: Once we have sent the paper filing, do we have to wait for the tax return to be assessed before we can send our citizenship application assuming that by the time our application is processed, the return will be assessed? Or will they want to see that it was assessed on or before the date we signed the application?

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi all, I am hoping for some additional guidance on tax filing requirement for my spouse for 2016. So here is the story: I was living and working in Canada on a work permit in 2016 and my spouse obtained an OWP and visited Canada for 2 weeks, and because he had an open work permit, they issued him a SIN on arrival at the airport. But he had no bank account, no health card, and had a full-time permanent job in India. He then moved to Canada in June 2017 on OWP, and eventually became a PR in August 2017. He also had income for all years starting 2017. So has filed his taxes for 2017-2020. But our question is whether he would be considered a tax resident for 2016? On the surface it appears that he was not required to file taxes since he did not have any Canadian income, did not owe taxes, and did not want to claim any benefits (Do you have to file a tax return?), but we have found conflicting resources where it appears that he may be have to file since he will be considered a resident with significant ties (Determine your residency status) as I (his spouse) was living and working in Canada. Any similar experiences from members of this forum and the approach you took would be greatly appreciated.

We are aware that we are required to file only for 3/5 years for the citizenship application, and he meets that requirement for 4/5 years (2017-2020). However, we would like to answer the 'Required to file' part of the question accurately as 'Yes' if he was required to file. Also, if he was indeed required to file, we prefer to file the tax for that year and then apply. In that case, we see that we can't NET file for 2016 anymore and will have to do a paper filing which takes about 6-8 weeks. So our question is: Once we have sent the paper filing, do we have to wait for the tax return to be assessed before we can send our citizenship application assuming that by the time our application is processed, the return will be assessed? Or will they want to see that it was assessed on or before the date we signed the application?
In our case I moved here on a CWP in Feb 2017.
My wife moved in July 2017 on a OWP. She started working in April 2018
I received T4s for 2017, but she did not... but our CPA suggested we both file taxes for 2017 irrespective she received the T4 or not
So in the application form I selected the following for Q 12b
Tax YrRequired to file
Yes
Required to file
No
Taxes Files
Yes
Taxes Files
No
2020xx
2019xx
2018xx
2017xx
2016xx

Where for my wife's form she selected the following
Tax YrRequired to file
Yes
Required to file
No
Taxes Files
Yes
Taxes Files
No
2020xx
2019xx
2018xx
2017xx
2016xx

I hope this was clear as mud for you ;)

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
In our case I moved here on a CWP in Feb 2017.
My wife moved in July 2017 on a OWP. She started working in April 2018
I received T4s for 2017, but she did not... but our CPA suggested we both file taxes for 2017 irrespective she received the T4 or not
So in the application form I selected the following for Q 12b
Tax YrRequired to file
Yes
Required to file
No
Taxes Files
Yes
Taxes Files
No
2020xx
2019xx
2018xx
2017xx
2016xx

Where for my wife's form she selected the following
Tax YrRequired to file
Yes
Required to file
No
Taxes Files
Yes
Taxes Files
No
2020xx
2019xx
2018xx
2017xx
2016xx

I hope this was clear as mud for you ;)
thank you so much! This is clear to me as this is very similar to our situation but you are saying she was not required to file for 2017 because you selected ‘No’ for required to file for 2017?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
thank you so much! This is clear to me as this is very similar to our situation but you are saying she was not required to file for 2017 because you selected ‘No’ for required to file for 2017?
In her case, since there was no income for her in Canada a T4 was not created.
Hence required to file taxes is what she selected No.

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
In her case, since there was no income for her in Canada a T4 was not created.
Hence required to file taxes is what she selected No.
Thanks! Yes this is similar our situation- my husband had no income in Canada for 2016, so would not be required to file I guess? We will also be speaking with our accountant to see what his tax residency status would be for that year.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks! Yes this is similar our situation- my husband had no income in Canada for 2016, so would not be required to file I guess? We will also be speaking with our accountant to see what his tax residency status would be for that year.
Yes plz do that, but again look at his CRA online account, to see what was done between 2016-2021

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Quick question guys.

below is what i am submitting as ID Proof, Does PR Card work as ID Proof.
Self - Health Card, PR Card
Wife - Health Card , PR Card
Kid - Health Card, PR Card.

plz advise

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
Quick question guys.

plz advise
Yes, this combination is perfect.
With the PR Card, you need another government issued document - and that could be the health card or the driver’s license.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Quick question guys.

plz advise
For Kids - Health Card and Passport Copy(Bio pages) (PR Card is not allowed): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

Adults you are ok with Health and PR Card (Alternately you can also choose Drivers License or Passport Copy(Bio Pages))

Reactions: Rutherfords

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
For Kids - Health Card and Passport Copy(Bio pages) (PR Card is not allowed): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

Adults you are ok with Health and PR Card (Alternately you can also choose Drivers License or Passport Copy(Bio Pages))
i have already submitted the docs now.
any ways.
kid - i have submitted color copies of old and renewed copies (around 70 pages) + PR Card + Health Card...
Haven't submitted passport separately as ID but still 1 copy is there...