+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
thank you! so relieved to know others have taken a similar approach and that IRCC officers will be familiar. We were not too keen on sending additional documents to complicate things. One additional question which we have is: the company which he opened when he incorporated in Dec 2018 (XYZ CANADA CORP) is still open, but has had no revenue in 2020 and 2021. We have kept it open as we expect it to start generating revenue in 2022. He has filed the corporate taxes for this for 2018-2020. Do we have to mention any of these in the LoE, or do they simply not care about what happened to the corporation after you went on T4?
It cannot hurt, if you add a very 'to the point' letter of explanation about the incorporated company, which is still operational, and your partner is actively on the company board(as I understand from your post).

Additionally this occupation, could also be added to the occupation activity list - where the 'to' date would be 'present' and 'from' date would be date of incorporation - since the company is still operational and you have been filing taxes through the years, even if there was no income. This line, would be in addition to when the company was under contract with the specific bank, that you already have there on the occupation list.

There is no problem in concurrent activities (date wise) on the occupation list till the time you have documentation on your side. So your partner could be in the job, as he is now, while also being a board member in the private company. And in this case both should be mentioned as current 'occupations.' Since you seek more business and that will in time reflect on your documentation for 2021-2022 probably.

Alternately, just add this detail to the occupation list and not provide any letter of explanation, since it should be self explanatory. You'll have to be the judge of that, based on your details.

This is my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: khushit

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
It cannot hurt, if you add a very 'to the point' letter of explanation about the incorporated company, which is still operational, and your partner is actively on the company board(as I understand from your post).

Additionally this occupation, could also be added to the occupation activity list - where the 'to' date would be 'present' and 'from' date would be date of incorporation - since the company is still operational and you have been filing taxes through the years, even if there was no income. This line, would be in addition to when the company was under contract with the specific bank, that you already have there on the occupation list.

There is no problem in concurrent activities (date wise) on the occupation list till the time you have documentation on your side. So your partner could be in the job, as he is now, while also being a board member in the private company. And in this case both should be mentioned as current 'occupations.' Since you seek more business and that will in time reflect on your documentation for 2021-2022 probably.

Alternately, just add this detail to the occupation list and not provide any letter of explanation, since it should be self explanatory. You'll have to be the judge of that, based on your details.

This is my opinion.
Hi Rutherfords, thank you for your opinion! This is great advice! Yes, we can add it as concurrent occupation - the only thing is that he is the 100% shareholder and the incorporator and I am actually on the board, because at the time of incorporation, the website wanted someone else's name (other than himself) to be entered as the board of director. Would this mean, the company would be listed under occupation for both of us - for me as board of director and for him as the incorporator/owner? Just to add that I have been on T4 continuously since 2016 without any gaps, so if I choose to add this, this will just be an additional line item. Of course I will also explain this in the LoE.

Reactions: Rutherfords

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
Hi Rutherfords, thank you for your opinion! This is great advice! Yes, we can add it as concurrent occupation - the only thing is that he is the 100% shareholder and the incorporator and I am actually on the board, because at the time of incorporation, the website wanted someone else's name (other than himself) to be entered as the board of director. Would this mean, the company would be listed under occupation for both of us - for me as board of director and for him as the incorporator/owner? Just to add that I have been on T4 continuously since 2016 without any gaps, so if I choose to add this, this will just be an additional line item. Of course I will also explain this in the LoE.
You are welcome!

Yes, I would suggest you add this to your occupation list as well, since this is on record and you also have documentation pertaining to this. You must state 'All' your activities in this list. And so this activity should not be left out from your application either.

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
making the changes now. thank you
Yes, for the paper application it's compulsory that you send every page of the passport, even if they are blank - I, for example scanned my passport cover to cover and arranged in the numbered order and submitted the print outs.
2 sets are required(and is also the proper way), if you're also submitting the passport as identity proof.

You must stick to the documented facts, to fill out the form. So in the case you've mentioned; use the expiry date from your old passport - 1st Dec 2021 and fill it in for that fields provided for passport details. And then fill in the details for the new passport with the documented issue date for that passport - 8th May and its expiry date as well.

You do not need to provide any explanation there, since there is no gap between the two passports.

For example - a person could have multiple passports concurrently - if they have multiple citizenships for example. So the overlap of passports validity is quite alright, in any case scenario. But the important thing is that in case there is a gap - one would need to provide an explanation in the space provided on the application form.
Thanks.
Are we required to send color copies of passport. please advise.

Blue003

Sep 11, 2021
For a minor applying for citizenship with parent, can the 2nd proof of ID for the minor be an expired health card (as the renewed one not yet received since several weeks and dont want to delay the application for this)? Since the school records doesnt include date of birth, and the immunization record the D.O.B is handwritten. Will they accept copy of expired health card as a 2nd proof of ID? I am using the passport bio page as a 1st ID proof.

Appreciate any feedback.

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
Can you please help me with one more question. Its probably not that important but I am nervous to do any mistake even small in application.
So for Residence dates - if I move from one apartment to another , should be To and From date the same?
Like Lived in 1st apartment from 1July 2018 to 1 September 2019
2nd apartment from 1 September 2019 to 31 December 2020?

or 1st apartment from 1July 2018 to 31st of Augusy 2019?

thank you
I have the same question. What have others filled these dates as?

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
For a minor applying for citizenship with parent, can the 2nd proof of ID for the minor be an expired health card (as the renewed one not yet received since several weeks and dont want to delay the application for this)? Since the school records doesnt include date of birth, and the immunization record the D.O.B is handwritten. Will they accept copy of expired health card as a 2nd proof of ID? I am using the passport bio page as a 1st ID proof.

Appreciate any feedback.
Waiting for the renewed health card and applying with that for ID proof, might be the best option, from what you’ve described.

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
QUESTION 13: IMMIGRATION STATUS IN COUNTRY OTHER THAN CANDA

Hi friends, I gather we have to list all our immigration statuses for this question, and since VISITOR is an option, I am also mentioning my visitor visas. For some countries, I had visas for extended periods and visited those countries multiple times within those periods, so my question is: Have you guys mentioned the actual visa validity dates spanning the extended periods (e.g. March 2012 to March 2014) which is on the printed visa, or each individual visits from the entry and exit stamps?

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
I have the same question. What have others filled these dates as?
If you reside at Apartment 1 until say, the 31st of August, and then you enter Apartment 2 on the 1st of September. That is the format that I followed while filling in my application.

I would suggest one use continuous but not overlapping dates. So the dates should have no gaps, but not overlapping either.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
QUESTION 13: IMMIGRATION STATUS IN COUNTRY OTHER THAN CANDA

Hi friends, I gather we have to list all our immigration statuses for this question, and since VISITOR is an option, I am also mentioning my visitor visas. For some countries, I had visas for extended periods and visited those countries multiple times within those periods, so my question is: Have you guys mentioned the actual visa validity dates spanning the extended periods (e.g. March 2012 to March 2014) which is on the printed visa, or each individual visits from the entry and exit stamps?
Plz check your inbox I have shared some info from my application