+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
One more question. Please please help.
I've been this year in May in Mexico for several weeks.
Its ok as of days, but it was in the middle of the lock down.
My reason was to visit my Guru, teacher of meditations and Life.
But I don't think I should state it as 'Religion reasons'. just "vacation' or friends visiting?? I was meeting my friends as well

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
Hi,
Can you please help
I am filling in now calculator of physical presence.
As I will submit application on November 9th, its asking me to put in all Study and Work Permits starting from Nov 9th 2016.
What to do if I have 1 study permit which started Jan 22 2016 and completed on 2017?
SHould I enter "From January 22 2016 or From Nov 9th 2016?
Thank you
You only need to provide details for your 5 year eligibility period. So if that's starting in Nov 2016, you should mention that as the first 'From' date on the application form.

Reactions: AlexandraO

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
But I don't think I should state it as 'Religion reasons'. just "vacation' or friends visiting?? I was meeting my friends as well
In my opinion, one might go with any 'activity' that one can reasonably prove with some documentation (not that one would need to). I think its always better to be on strong footing and if possible, have some documentation for all activities one mentions. Though of course, that might not always be the case. I also feel that it's ok to be slightly descriptive in titling the activity, for example - 'Travelled through Mexico and visited a friend' etc.

This is all my opinion though.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi,
Can you please help
I am filling in now calculator of physical presence.
As I will submit application on November 9th, its asking me to put in all Study and Work Permits starting from Nov 9th 2016.
What to do if I have 1 study permit which started Jan 22 2016 and completed on 2017?
SHould I enter "From January 22 2016 or From Nov 9th 2016?
Thank you
My suggestion is to enter from the actual start date of the permit. If the system validated these dates you are good.
If not then put the start date as per the eligibility period

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
You don’t really need to mention that level of details tbh..
You can say Personal - visiting friends and family

PMV

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Hi guys, for questions 5 and 10b, the paper application has 2 rows by default. I am unable to remove the second rows in both questions. Should I just let this be and mention in the letter of explanation regarding the same? Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi guys, for questions 5 and 10b, the paper application has 2 rows by default. I am unable to remove the second rows in both questions. Should I just let this be and mention in the letter of explanation regarding the same? Thanks
That’s ok to leave it as is
There is no need for an LoE

Reactions: PMV

Guptavv

Oct 15, 2017
NA
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
21-07-2017
Doc's Request.
13-10-2017
AOR Received.
06-11-2017
IELTS Request
10-07-2017
Med's Request
25-10-2017
Passport Req..
04-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2018
LANDED..........
04-06-2018
I have a question regarding colour copies of passport pages, using the home scanner/printer- the blank pages copies are almost coming as black and white. Do you recommend getting the passport copied from a commercial place to catch the colour on these blank pages or black and white copy of these pages is fine

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
I have a question regarding colour copies of passport pages, using the home scanner/printer- the blank pages copies are almost coming as black and white. Do you recommend getting the passport copied from a commercial place to catch the colour on these blank pages or black and white copy of these pages is fine
I used a home scanner printer, and the quality was good enough so that the prints were high quality colour copies. The stipulation on the application form, is to provide colour copies of all the passport pages.
If you're not satisfied with the quality your copies, might as well seek a better place to get the pages scanned and printed.

Last edited:

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
NOTE: Posted under a separate thread (work history), but reposting here for better visibility

I have a question about entering details and providing proof for self-employment (if it is required?). Here are the details: My husband was self-employed as a contractor with a major bank but was contracted through an agency (let's say ABC Inc.) from July 2017 to June 2018. After this, he was unemployed (preparing for an exam) from June 2018-December 2018. Then he went back to the same major bank, but this time as an incorporation (not self-employed) and was again contracted through the same agency (ABC Inc.) from December 2018-March 2019. Then in March 2019, he took up a permanent position at the same major bank and worked there on T4 from March 2019 to September 2021, and in September 2021, he changed to another major bank as a T4 employee. We are planning on including his work history as follows:

From: 2021-09Occupation/activity: TITLE AT MAJOR BANK 2Name of Employer: MAJOR BANK 2
To: PRESENTTORONTO ADDRESS OF MAJOR BANK 2 (currently working from home due to COVID)TORONTOCANADAON
From: 2019-03Occupation/activity: TITLE AT MAJOR BANK 1Name of Employer: MAJOR BANK1
T0: 2021-09TORONTO ADDRESS OF MAJOR BANK 1 (worked from home due to COVID: March 2020-September 2021)TORONTOCANADAON
From: 2018-12Occupation/activity: CONSULTANT - ANALYST (OPERATING AS XYZ CANADA CORP)Name of Employer: CLIENT: MAJOR BANK 1 (CONTRACTED THROUGH ABC INC.)
To: 2019-03TORONTO ADDRESS OF MAJOR BANK 1TORONTOCANADAON
From: 2018-06Occupation/activity: UNEMPLOYED: STUDYING FOR DEF EXAMNAME OF EMPOYER: NOT APPLICABLE
To: 2018-12HOME ADDRESSTORONTOCANADAON
From: 2017-07Occupation/activity: ANALYST (SELF EMPLOYED)Name of Employer: CLIENT: MAJOR BANK 1 (CONTRACTED THROUGH ABC INC.)
To: 2018-06TORONTO ADDRESS OF MAJOR BANK 1TORONTOCANADAON

We are trying to see if these entries would suffice? We will also be explaining this in the LoE. Do we also have to provide additional documentation such as contract from ABC Inc which states the Major Bank 1 as the client and includes its address? We also have bank statements showing weekly deposits from ABC Inc. We would like to provide adequate information to support this and avoid an RQ, but NOT too many documents which may not be required. Any advice from experts would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
NOTE: Posted under a separate thread (work history), but reposting here for better visibility

I have a question about entering details and providing proof for self-employment (if it is required?). Here are the details: My husband was self-employed as a contractor with a major bank but was contracted through an agency (let's say ABC Inc.) from July 2017 to June 2018. After this, he was unemployed (preparing for an exam) from June 2018-December 2018. Then he went back to the same major bank, but this time as an incorporation (not self-employed) and was again contracted through the same agency (ABC Inc.) from December 2018-March 2019. Then in March 2019, he took up a permanent position at the same major bank and worked there on T4 from March 2019 to September 2021, and in September 2021, he changed to another major bank as a T4 employee. We are planning on including his work history as follows:

From: 2021-09Occupation/activity: TITLE AT MAJOR BANK 2Name of Employer: MAJOR BANK 2
To: PRESENTTORONTO ADDRESS OF MAJOR BANK 2 (currently working from home due to COVID)TORONTOCANADAON
From: 2019-03Occupation/activity: TITLE AT MAJOR BANK 1Name of Employer: MAJOR BANK1
T0: 2021-09TORONTO ADDRESS OF MAJOR BANK 1 (worked from home due to COVID: March 2020-September 2021)TORONTOCANADAON
From: 2018-12Occupation/activity: CONSULTANT - ANALYST (OPERATING AS XYZ CANADA CORP)Name of Employer: CLIENT: MAJOR BANK 1 (CONTRACTED THROUGH ABC INC.)
To: 2019-03TORONTO ADDRESS OF MAJOR BANK 1TORONTOCANADAON
From: 2018-06Occupation/activity: UNEMPLOYED: STUDYING FOR DEF EXAMNAME OF EMPOYER: NOT APPLICABLE
To: 2018-12HOME ADDRESSTORONTOCANADAON
From: 2017-07Occupation/activity: ANALYST (SELF EMPLOYED)Name of Employer: CLIENT: MAJOR BANK 1 (CONTRACTED THROUGH ABC INC.)
To: 2018-06TORONTO ADDRESS OF MAJOR BANK 1TORONTOCANADAON

We are trying to see if these entries would suffice? We will also be explaining this in the LoE. Do we also have to provide additional documentation such as contract from ABC Inc which states the Major Bank 1 as the client and includes its address? We also have bank statements showing weekly deposits from ABC Inc. We would like to provide adequate information to support this and avoid an RQ, but NOT too many documents which may not be required. Any advice from experts would be highly appreciated! Thanks!
I too provided the 'Contracted through' piece to justify the difference of address and employer on record( that being of the contracting company and not the place I worked). However I provided the 'address of the company I worked at and not the contracting company' like you have done here.

You do not need to provide any additional documents at this point, or you risk complicating your application, in my opinion. Many people have these kind of contracts and the officers surely understand. No need to clarify this point more than just providing the details on the application.

Reactions: khushit

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
I too provided the 'Contracted through' piece to justify the difference of address and employer on record( that being of the contracting company and not the place I worked). However I provided the 'address of the company I worked at and not the contracting company' like you have done here.

You do not need to provide any additional documents at this point, or you risk complicating your application, in my opinion. Many people have these kind of contracts and the officers surely understand. No need to clarify this point more than just providing the details on the application.
thank you! so relieved to know others have taken a similar approach and that IRCC officers will be familiar. We were not too keen on sending additional documents to complicate things. One additional question which we have is: the company which he opened when he incorporated in Dec 2018 (XYZ CANADA CORP) is still open, but has had no revenue in 2020 and 2021. We have kept it open as we expect it to start generating revenue in 2022. He has filed the corporate taxes for this for 2018-2020. Do we have to mention any of these in the LoE, or do they simply not care about what happened to the corporation after you went on T4?