+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@gagzzz relax. Just submit your application and move on with your life. IRCC will not return an application for a small bug on their side that has no effect whatsoever on the processing of your files. If they did, be assured that we'd hear about it in the forum. We don't...

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
@gagzzz relax. Just submit your application and move on with your life. IRCC will not return an application for a small bug on their side that has no effect whatsoever on the processing of your files. If they did, be assured that we'd hear about it in the forum. We don't...
thank you buddy

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
Hi friends!

For the paper based application: I am unable to reconcile these three dates:

What date should go where as per the Physical Presence Calculator, example dates below?

Application Date Provided by me (for the Physical Presence Calculator) - 2021-10-26
Eligibility Period (generated on Physical Presence Calculator) - To date - 2021-10-25

Screenshot-2021-10-22-13-44-28-Bk1-Pia

Screenshot-2021-10-22-14-00-18-X7-F2-QR

Now on the Application form:
What dates go in 'From' -
What date goes in 'To' -
What Date goes at the bottom of application with your sign - ????
Shall I have to print the Online Physical Calculator and my Filled Application, on the same day? So my days on both match with the barcodes?

This is what the Official Document Checklist says about this:
"• Ensure that the application date used in this calculation and on the application form are the same."

Thank you!

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Hi friends!

For the paper based application: I am unable to reconcile these three dates:

What date should go where as per the Physical Presence Calculator, example dates below?

Application Date Provided by me (for the Physical Presence Calculator) - 2021-10-26
Eligibility Period (generated on Physical Presence Calculator) - To date - 2021-10-25

Screenshot-2021-10-22-13-44-28-Bk1-Pia

Screenshot-2021-10-22-14-00-18-X7-F2-QR

Now on the Application form:
What dates go in 'From' -
What date goes in 'To' -
What Date goes at the bottom of application with your sign - ????
Shall I have to print the Online Physical Calculator and my Filled Application, on the same day? So my days on both match with the barcodes?

This is what the Official Document Checklist says about this:
"• Ensure that the application date used in this calculation and on the application form are the same."

Thank you!
someone just answered this for me above...there is a bug in the form, from date is auto populated and cannot be changed...I am planning to keep the TO date one day prior to when i am signing and submit a explanation alongwith...

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
someone just answered this for me above...there is a bug in the form, from date is auto populated and cannot be changed...I am planning to keep the TO date one day prior to when i am signing and submit a explanation alongwith...
Thanks, yes I saw responses to your post. And yes this an unfortunate glitch in the matr.., sorry, on the application form. And I truly wondering for myself, if providing an explanation on this issue, would complicate matters or ease them!?

However my initial question is different from yours - my question is: About the Date to fill bottom of the application, with my sign?
Shall I use the 'To' date I am filling for my physical presence field, or shall I have to use the date one day after - 'The Application Date'?

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Thanks, yes I saw responses to your post. And yes this an unfortunate glitch in the matr.., sorry, on the application form. And I truly wondering for myself, if providing an explanation on this issue, would complicate matters or ease them!?

However my initial question is different from yours - my question is: About the Date to fill bottom of the application, with my sign?
Shall I use the 'To' date I am filling for my physical presence field, or shall I have to use the date one day after - 'The Application Date'?
this is what it says on the last page of Physical Presence calculator ( where it gives the results)
"Please make sure that the date of application used in this calculation and the date of signature on the application form are the same"

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Can you help me with one more question..
Its a family package (Wife, kid and me), do i need to fill IMM5476 - use of representative for my kid

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
this is what it says on the last page of Physical Presence calculator ( where it gives the results)
"Please make sure that the date of application used in this calculation and the date of signature on the application form are the same"
Ok, so my interpretation of this(apart from the 'from' date mismatch glitch) is:

On the date we want to print and sign the PPC and completed Application Form...

- We provide an Application Date for the Physical Presence Calculator(PPC).
- We then use the 'To' date generated from the PPC to fill it in the Application form (and do not worry about the glitchy From(auto -generated date).
- We then make sure to Date and Sign the Application Form with the 'Application Date' we provided for the PPC (and Not the 'To' date from the PPC)
- We print both these. But only sign the Application form. Not the PPC (as that is no longer required).

Am I missing anything?

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Your eligibility period is 2016-10-22 to 2021-10-21, you will need this for your application form.

Permanent residence date2018-04-11Application date2021-10-22

the above is an example --

application date and sign date will be 2021-10-22.
Your eligibility period date will be -- 2016-10-21 to 2021-10-21 (with the glitch) else would have been 2016-10-22 to 2021-10-21

-------

would you know about this --
Its a family package (Wife, kid and me), do i need to fill IMM5476 - use of representative for my kid

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
Your eligibility period is 2016-10-22 to 2021-10-21, you will need this for your application form.

Your eligibility period date will be -- 2016-10-21 to 2021-10-21 (with the glitch) else would have been 2016-10-22 to 2021-10-21

-------

Yes, I think you just confirmed what I have also stated above (about the dates). I am going to use a tentative date in the coming week for my application date. And fill that in for the PPC and Application form.

Are you sure you would want to provide the letter of explanation for the 'From' date glitch? In my limited understanding, I've not yet heard of anyone else doing that on this forum. Could any of the experts please clarify, if this is actually required?

----
No, I would not have any idea about - "IMM5476 - use of representative for my kid." Please wait for an expert to chime in.

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021

-------

Found some good insights and info on the dates issue here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/physical-presence-calculator-eligiblity-period-dose-not-match-the-citizenship-application-error-in-system.732994/#post-9420128

I hope this helps. I am not going to attach an explanation. Best of luck wit your application!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

-------

Regarding the eligibility "From" date issue between PPC and application form is quiet well known... no need to add LoE for it. just make sure you "To" date match the PPC and application form

No you do not need to fill IMM5476... It is only required if you are using a lawyer/immigration consultant to submit the application on their behalf...
Just use the form: CIT0003E (Citizenship Application Form for Minors under subsection 5(2))

dt12

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Hello,
If my wife's IELTS was not included in our original PR application 4 years ago, can she still use it as proof of English evidence? At that time, I used only mine since it was enough score-wise without hers.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,
If my wife's IELTS was not included in our original PR application 4 years ago, can she still use it as proof of English evidence? At that time, I used only mine since it was enough score-wise without hers.
Saturday at 11:45 PM
ttttt said:
Hello everyone,
Hope all of you are doing great. My wife will be eligible to apply for her citizenship on July,2022. I have few points about that to ask,

1. She appeared for general training IELTS exam on October,18,2014 in our home country under British Council and she got 4.5 in listening, 3.5 in reading, 5.0 in writing, and 5.0 in speaking. Overall band score 4.5

2. She didn’t use her IELTS certificate as she came in Canada as a spouse.

Can she use this certificate to meet the English proficiency criteria for the Citizenship application? Please advise on this. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!! Thanks for your time!!
She can use the IELTS even if it is expired…
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Results from a third-party language test

NOTE: If you did the test in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes, we will accept the results even if it has expired.

International English Language Testing
System (IELTS), General Training. You must have a score of:

• 4.0 or higher in speaking and
  • 4.5 or higher in listening. (Note: If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a level 4 or higher)

Last edited:
Reactions: dt12

johnpye

Feb 12, 2018
I don't recommend submitting your application while you are outside the country. Most people leave the country after submitting the application.

When did you leave Canada?
August this year. I want to apply now rather than waiting to return to Canada for a number of reason. I appreciate it may be smoother to start the process in Canada but that boat has sailed for the time being.

As far as I can see there are two options, apply by post and do the paper calculator and add a statement of clarification.

Or do the online calculator, select the latest possible return to Canada date ( day of submission) and write a explanation in the text box and a statement in supporting documents.

Any thoughts, have I missed any options?

Last edited: