+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
So what happens to my PR Card thru the years? Let's say it expired while I'm outside the country, can I return back with the expired one or are there other requirements?
The PR card is a travel document so you need it valid if you want to travel back to Canada. Otherwise you will need a PRTD from local embassy to be able to board the flight back to Canada.

By requirements i meant that as long as you fulfill the requirements of 1095 days in last 5 years from day of application, you are good.

Nik_shy

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Hi guys,

Is fingerprint is mandatory for all the citizenship application or it depends on case to case?

Mr_nobody

Champion Member
Dec 14, 2018
Hi guys,
The bio page of my passport is bilingual. It has all the info in both English and my mother tongue language. Do you think I still need to translate the non-English part of my passport? (They are essentially the same, but the officer probably can't read the non-English part. Would there be any problem with it or they only look at the English part?)

Humanshado

Jun 27, 2017
In addition, in my personal opinion, the five categories mentioned above, namely student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen are not examples. They're all categories they have mentioned. If they were some examples, there would be a term or word such as "for example", "for instance", etc. before them. So, we can't say that those categories are just a bunch of examples and visitor is another example not mentioned here.
I agree with you. I can't think of any other immigration status that is missing in the list except "visitor". Although to be on a safer side of caution, I would include any visiting visa that falls within my 5-year eligibility period.

nixster

Jan 4, 2021
Hi @rajkamalmohanram , first off thank you so much for investing your time and compiling such a wonderful post.

I do have couple of queries on the Citizenship form, if you could help me on the same, it would be of great help. Thank you in advance.

Question 05:
I have filled only "Name at birth", since I have never changed my name in my life. The other 2 rows are filled with N/A. Or should I leave them blank ?

Question 10:
I have filled all the non-relevant rows with N/A. Or should I leave them blank ?

Question 11:
Same query as Q10, about filling N/A in non-relevant fields.

Question 12:
This is for a friend, she landed in 2017, so for 2015 and 2016, she was not even a PR to file taxes. So is her fill-up correct on the form ?

Question 13:
Another query for my friend, she is asking if she can write her Birth month & year in the "Date obtained/effective" field ? For her Indian Citizenship proof, she only has her Indian Passport (valid from 2014 till 2024) with her, is that sufficient ?

Question 14:
Last query for my friend, does she need to write about her Canada PR as well on the table or just about her Indian Passport is enough? And yes, about filling the non-relevant rows with N/A.
Hi, With respect to Question14, if passport is issued in Toronto, should the Country or Territory of issue be the country that you are currently a citizen ie. the country that issued your passport?? and not the country of the place of issue. Please could someone clarify/confirm this? Thank you
I know this might be trivial but any thoughts/experiences are appreciated.
@rajkamalmohanram

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
So what happens to my PR Card thru the years? Let's say it expired while I'm outside the country, can I return back with the expired one or are there other requirements?
You can't re-enter Canada with an expired PR card. If your PR card expires when you are outside Canada, you'll have to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. This document might take a while to be issued (sometimes it takes several months).

So, I wouldn't recommend traveling without a valid PR card.

SimpleMac

Nov 22, 2016
Hi All,
Hope you all are keeping safe!
I have a query about my ILETS done at the time of applying for the PR:
------------
My IELTS was done in 2015 on Passport A. As it was due to expire I had re-issued passport B in 2016. Due to some misunderstanding by my country's passport office, I had to get a new passport C in 2017. C is my current and valid passport. If I provide my expired Ilets results, do i still have to add Passport C in my citizenship application or provide a letter of explanation?
Looking forward to hearing from you!

amitsmeet

Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,
Hope you all are keeping safe!
I have a query about my ILETS done at the time of applying for the PR:
------------
My IELTS was done in 2015 on Passport A. As it was due to expire I had re-issued passport B in 2016. Due to some misunderstanding by my country's passport office, I had to get a new passport C in 2017. C is my current and valid passport. If I provide my expired Ilets results, do i still have to add Passport C in my citizenship application or provide a letter of explanation?
Looking forward to hearing from you!
I didn't fully understand your question on the inclusion of Passport C, but what I know is that IELTS results can be validated by TRF numbers and internal systems. All passports have to be mentioned in the application. Each expiring or renewed passports bear the information of the prior passport which is cancelled. Lastly, its always safe to clarify any thing that you may feel could confuse or create an issue for the assessing officer via LOE.

Reactions: SimpleMac

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hey Guys,

I will be applying citizenship in couple of months as I am prepping up all the documents needed.
I have some questions if someone can answer,

1. Is it fine to apply citizenship through newly introduced online system versus paper based? I haven't started the application but was wondering if someone can give me some insights how different it is in terms of filling the details compared to paper. And I assume I have to upload all the documents required online with no paper work?

2. This might be silly question, but I need to ask, is citizenhip process slow if I have to apply from Quebec province versus other provinces? OR it doesn't matter at all? I know for PR process, quebec is very slow since there is additional layer of approval.

Thanks in advance

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
hey guys I have a question regarding the physical presence calculator.

Did you have Canadian temporary resident status (i.e. as a visitor, international student, temporary worker, temporary resident permit holder), and/or were a protected person) between 2016-04-11 and 2017-07-12?

I had a PGWP From August 2014 to August 2017. When I try to input those dates the calculator doesn't allow me.

So should I just put the same dates as my five year eligibility period for this question (between 2016-04-11 and 2017-07-12)
and list "temporary worker" under type? It asks for a from date and a too date

SimpleMac

Nov 22, 2016
I didn't fully understand your question on the inclusion of Passport C, but what I know is that IELTS results can be validated by TRF numbers and internal systems. All passports have to be mentioned in the application. Each expiring or renewed passports bear the information of the prior passport which is cancelled. Lastly, its always safe to clarify any thing that you may feel could confuse or create an issue for the assessing officer via LOE.
Thanks Amitsmeet!

Reactions: amitsmeet

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
hey guys I have a question regarding the physical presence calculator.

Did you have Canadian temporary resident status (i.e. as a visitor, international student, temporary worker, temporary resident permit holder), and/or were a protected person) between 2016-04-11 and 2017-07-12?

I had a PGWP From August 2014 to August 2017. When I try to input those dates the calculator doesn't allow me.

So should I just put the same dates as my five year eligibility period for this question (between 2016-04-11 and 2017-07-12)
and list "temporary worker" under type? It asks for a from date and a too date
Anybody? lol

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hey Guys,

I will be applying citizenship in couple of months as I am prepping up all the documents needed.
I have some questions if someone can answer,

1. Is it fine to apply citizenship through newly introduced online system versus paper based? I haven't started the application but was wondering if someone can give me some insights how different it is in terms of filling the details compared to paper. And I assume I have to upload all the documents required online with no paper work?

2. This might be silly question, but I need to ask, is citizenhip process slow if I have to apply from Quebec province versus other provinces? OR it doesn't matter at all? I know for PR process, quebec is very slow since there is additional layer of approval.

Thanks in advance
Anyone please ?