+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

AbuZain

Jan 12, 2021
If you choose 'Yes', then fill the table below with the appropriate status and timeline.
I am confused about timeline as my temporary resident document's date issued: 2015/12/23 and Expiry date: 2017/12/12. On 2016/04/15 my status was changed, so which date would be my status expired..., either the actual one i.e. 2017/12/12 or the superseded due to change of status i.e. 2016/04/14 (a day before the new status document)? please explain... thank you!

AbuZain

Jan 12, 2021
Would appreciate if you could please reply the following:

Since I am 55 and confused about part a, b & c. Should I left blank considering it irrelevant to my case or otherwise as there is not a specific question to check mark "yes" or "no" for younger than 18 or older than 54?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
If have been working and studying during the same time, should I put two entries of detail like working and studying or otherwise? For Example: I have been working as a cashier from 2019-Sep - June, 2020 and studying part time during the same time. Please explain!
Yes, overlapping entries are allowed AFAIK.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I am confused about timeline as my temporary resident document's date issued: 2015/12/23 and Expiry date: 2017/12/12. On 2016/04/15 my status was changed, so which date would be my status expired..., either the actual one i.e. 2017/12/12 or the superseded due to change of status i.e. 2016/04/14 (a day before the new status document)? please explain... thank you!
Your 'status' would have expired when you attained a new status. For example, if you finished your studies earlier than the expiry in the study permit and then you got a work visa, as far as I know, the expiry on your study permit no longer is the correct expiry. Your status changed before so I think you should enter the dates based on status change.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Would appreciate if you could please reply the following:

Since I am 55 and confused about part a, b & c. Should I left blank considering it irrelevant to my case or otherwise as there is not a specific question to check mark "yes" or "no" for younger than 18 or older than 54?
Do NOT leave anything blank.

IMO, you can answer 'No' and you can add a Letter of Explanation that states that you've answered 'No' to this question because you are over54 years of age.

You can check with other applicants who were in the same situation and they would be able to better guide you.

But please do NOT leave this field empty.

AbuZain

Jan 12, 2021
that status and if that status is current or expired.
Q13, the last box (If your status is no longer valid indicate the end date (YY/MM). If your status is still valid indicate “current”)

If my passport is expired, is that means my citizenship status is also no longer valid? What should I put here if my passport is expired.. I am not clear here about the situation of "expired passport" and "validity of citizenship". Please reply!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Q13, the last box (If your status is no longer valid indicate the end date (YY/MM). If your status is still valid indicate “current”)

If my passport is expired, is that means my citizenship status is also no longer valid? What should I put here if my passport is expired.. I am not clear here about the situation of "expired passport" and "validity of citizenship". Please reply!
No. You don't cease to be a citizen of your country just because your passport expires. For instance, to think that you lose Indian citizenship if your Indian passport expires is comical.

This space, generally speaking, is for work visas, study permits, previous resident permits etc. However, it is also very important that you mention your country of citizenship unless you are stateless. For your country of citizenship, you should mention the expiry date as 'current'.

AbuZain

Jan 12, 2021
Q14 (a): Have you held travel documents and/or passports during your five (5) year eligibility period?
  • Again, most of us would have to answer 'Yes' to this question.
  • If you answered 'Yes', fill out the details of your travel document in Table A.
  • NOTE 1: You will be asked to show the original of this document (This usually happens before / after your citizenship test AND possibly when checking documents before oath ceremony).
  • NOTE 2: If you have gaps between your travel document in the past 5 years OR if you did NOT have a passport during this time, explain in Table B.
Hello Raji,
My five year eligibility period is Feb-2016 - Feb- 2021 and my home country passport expiry date is Feb -2017, what should explain in Table B in this respect? It would be adequate if I put "I couldn't get my passport renewed since it's expiry" or otherwise? Please guide me. Thank you.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Raji,
My five year eligibility period is Feb-2016 - Feb- 2021 and my home country passport expiry date is Feb -2017, what should explain in Table B in this respect? It would be adequate if I put "I couldn't get my passport renewed since it's expiry" or otherwise? Please guide me. Thank you.
Its Raj.

Just explain why you did not renew your passport.