+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

deep344

Dec 8, 2018
Hi , so shall we not use staple at all to bind any document say for example physical calculator 2 pages also like wise?

deep344

Dec 8, 2018
PART - 6

Post-Application Phase

You have now submitted your Citizenship application. If you paid close attention to the guide and prepared a killer application package - the chances of you getting your application back is very less to none.

The hard part begins now - Waiting! In this initial stage after submission, you'd have to wait for AOR.

What can you do while you wait?

It generally takes about 2 months from the date they receive the application for you to get a AOR. (This can vary slightly from person to person). While you wait for AOR (and for further steps after you receive AOR), you can do the following -
Routine vs Non-Routine Applications and Additional document requests

Your citizenship application could be processed in 2 different ways - Routine and Non-Routine.
What happens during application processing?

At the time of writing this post, the "official" processing time is 12 months. In reality, however - It ranges anywhere between 6 months to Forever. A sizable portion of the applications are processed between 6 - 9 months time.
The basic consensus of how a citizenship application might progress is explained below. This might vary slightly between applicants but this should give you a general idea. There is some speculation here and I am paraphrasing this from one of dpenabill's post and other posts in this forum.
  • CPC-Sydney issues an AOR after the completeness-checking the application package
  • A file is opened in GCMS (simultaneously).
  • The application is sent for background checks
    • Criminality checks are done by RCMP
    • Security checks are done by CSIS
    • GCMS checks are done by IRCC
  • CPC-Sydney might do some additional processing (?)
  • Application is forwarded to the local visa office for further processing
  • Local Visa Office (LVO) checks and verifies the authenticity of the information / documents in the application package
  • LVO sends Notice to appear for citizenship test and interview
  • LVO sends a Notice to appear for Citizenship Ceremony (Oath)
After the oath: Next Steps

You are officially a Canadian Citizen after you take the oath of citizenship.
  • Official sources state that you need to wait a minimum of 2 business days before you can apply for a Canadian Passport.
  • However, in reality, you can apply for a passport as soon as your ECAS status changes to 'Complete' and this can happen before 2 business days.
Closing notes

Canadian Citizenship is a privilege and not a right. Let's embrace it, respect it and let's never abuse it. NEVER lie on an immigration / citizenship application - It is not worth the consequences.

I hope that the mods make this a sticky thread for easy access. Let's further discuss about the nuances of this process and help each other in this beautiful journey of becoming a citizen of this great nation.

-rajkamalmohanram
Hi Raj, thanks for your post and perfect info.
Query- so we will not staple at all like for example physical presence calculator two pages staple together or we will use paper clip only even if for same form category pages?

shaik4783

Dec 19, 2018
Hello everyone,

thank you for creating this post and detailed explanation regarding citizenship application.

my question is regarding PCC from US

- i have landed in canada in March 2020 and i will be eligible for citizenship in march 2023.

- i was in India from Nov 2019 till March 2020

- prior to that i have been in us from 2015-2019

- i have a Fbi PCC From US until the date of 20dec2018 ( i got this while applying for PR)

- my question is do i need to apply for FBI PCC again so that i can submit a recent updated PCC .

- one of my friend said he applied an old one and still worked out and he got citizenship.

- looking forward to the answers..

Thank you so much.!!!

ckm_01

Mar 13, 2020
Hi All, any suggestions if my current passport is about to expire in 6 months, and planning to renew it. Do I have to inform CIC about renewed passport details? Anyone has gone through this? TIA

wink

May 25, 2021
Hi All, any suggestions if my current passport is about to expire in 6 months, and planning to renew it. Do I have to inform CIC about renewed passport details? Anyone has gone through this? TIA
No, not required to inform.

wink

May 25, 2021
Hello everyone,

thank you for creating this post and detailed explanation regarding citizenship application.

my question is regarding PCC from US

- i have landed in canada in March 2020 and i will be eligible for citizenship in march 2023.

- i was in India from Nov 2019 till March 2020

- prior to that i have been in us from 2015-2019

- i have a Fbi PCC From US until the date of 20dec2018 ( i got this while applying for PR)

- my question is do i need to apply for FBI PCC again so that i can submit a recent updated PCC .

- one of my friend said he applied an old one and still worked out and he got citizenship.

- looking forward to the answers..

Thank you so much.!!!
1. What would be your answer to the question# 10b?

b) In the past four (4) years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?

2. Is the following note applicable to you?

Note: If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within
this four (4) year period, you are not required to provide a police certificate.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Not required to inform.
My daughters passport and OHIP cards were renewed after submitting the application.
We did not provide the renewed documents to IRCC

ASINGH29

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
Can someone please guide me through the process of providing the fingerprints in Toronto? How will this be done and does it increase the timeline and walk-through?

bubagump

Nov 5, 2018
* During your 5-year eligibility period, did you spend time serving a sentence?

For context, I have been arrested on a Friday and was in prison for 2 days (weekend) got bail on Monday. The charges were dropped by prosecutor and I have no conviction. The question above is confusing. It is asking "did you spend serving a sentence". As per my arrest and in prison for 2 days, I was not serving a sentence. I was held for bail hearing and granted bail, further no conviction and case dropped.

Should I answer YES or NO here. The wording "sentencing" is quite confusing, as only a judge can sentence someone.

liverpooligan

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
Would it affect my application if I select 'No' to the question 'I authorize IRCC to forward my personal information to my Member of Parliament '?