+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
@smash1984 Check this link.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/newcomers-canada-immigrants.html#dhtf

File a return for 2021 if you:

• have to pay tax for the year
  • want to claim a refund
  • want to get benefit and credit payments
To continue getting the benefits and credits you may be eligible for, you need to do your taxes each year, even if you had no income.
This means required to file = Yes, filed = yes for spouse is the correct answer.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
@smash1984 Check this link.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/newcomers-canada-immigrants.html#dhtf

File a return for 2021 if you:

• have to pay tax for the year
  • want to claim a refund
  • want to get benefit and credit payments
To continue getting the benefits and credits you may be eligible for, you need to do your taxes each year, even if you had no income.
This means required to file = Yes, filed = yes for spouse is the correct answer.
This is a good point. I hadn't considered it from a benefits perspective since CCB is not taxable income and doesn't go on the return.

The way I understand it is that you are filing because you want the benefits. There is no requirement for you to file. The only difference would be that you could forego the benefits like CCB. On the other hand, if you had earned income in Canada, she would have been required to file tax for that income.

But maybe I have been overthinking and your idea might be right.

But since both of our spouses did file, so we should be fine whichever way we answer on "Required to file".

Edit: I notice that this is for newcomers to Canada.

atlas2018

Apr 8, 2020
Hello Guys, when I applied for RTD renewal, I added the old expired RTD to the application package. So, when I apply for citizenship, I will only have the new RTD physically. How will I provide a photocopy of all pages in the travel document during five year eligibility period? Do we still need the old expired RTD for citizenship application? Thank you!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018
Hello. Can someone help me with the below questions. Thanks in advance!!
  1. Police Certificate --> I submitted application for PR while I was in USA but it got approved only after I returned back to India (for good). I did the stamping & everything in India only. I was in India for more than 6 months before landing as PR in Canada. For police certificate, is India considered my country of Origin? If yes, then I don't need to provide the police certificate, right?

2. Color photocopy of all pages (valid or expired) of your passport(s) or travel document(s) during your (5) year eligibility period --> Does this mean that even if we had an old passport (that was renewed for a new one) in the last 5 years period, should we give the photocopy of those old passports as well?

3. Photocopies of two (2) pieces of personal identification --> Can Ontario Health Insurance card (OHIP) be used along with passport?

4. For English language proficiency,
    • Is IELTS alone enough or should we even submit any college transcripts
    • Can we use the IELTS score card obtained during PR processing. It was done in 2017 (5 years old & EXPIRED)
  5. Spouse was having an Incorporation and did a small home based business for the last 3 years. Taxes were filed for the Incorporation but my spouse did not have any personal income and only joint filing was done (indicating that the personal income was $0). In the citizenship application, should we state spouse as unemployed or self-employed? Also, should we need to select Yes for tax filing required?

6. Is there any difference between sending docs by regular mail vs courier? Is courier meaning UPS/FEDEX?

7. My kid is an US citizen. As my kid will become a dual citizen, are there any special process/rule to be followed in either US side or Canada side?

8. As my kid will become a dual citizen, should we need to update anything to the India government regarding OCI?

Jun 7, 2022
PART - 5

Prepare and send your application package
  • Neatly arrange documents, section-wise. The following is my recommendation but feel free to suit yourself.
    • Have the document checklist as your first document
    • Place your photos in a small envelope, mark the envelope with "Photos" and attach this to the document checklist using paper clip.
    • Use paper clips to bind documents of a particular section together. For example, you would use a paperclip to hold all the biographical pages of passport. Likewise, you'll use another paper clip to hold your identification documents together.
    • Triple check that you have all the documents AND the contents of your application form - Have a friend or a family member verify this for you.
    • DO NOT STAPLE YOUR DOCUMENTS TOGETHER.
  • Your application package should contain the following (mandatory):
    • Document Checklist
    • Photos in a small envelope attached to the document checklist with paperclip
    • Citizenship application form, signed and dated
    • Physical presence calculator, signed and dated
    • Photocopies of biological pages of passport(s)/travel documents
    • Photocopy of identity documents
    • Photocopy of language proof
    • Fee receipt
  • Your application package might also contain the following (if it applies to you):
    • Letter of Explanation (if it applies to you)
    • Original Police certificates (if it applies to you)
    • Translations (if it applies to you) - Submit both original version of the document AND the translation
    • Other supporting documents, if they apply to you, as mentioned in the document checklist
  • I would recommend placing all the documents inside a transparent plastic folder before placing it inside an envelope.
  • If you are sending the application for you and your family, you can include all applications in a single envelope.
    • Note: If even one document is missing for one family member, the entire envelope will be returned back to the applicant.
If you are sending it via courier - Send it to:

If you are sending it by regular mail - Send it to:

Tip: Pre-Application and Application Phase

1. DO NOT submit your application with exactly 1095 days.
    • In case you make a mistake, even inadvertently, your application will be refused AND you will NOT receive your processing fee back.
    • I strongly recommend having a buffer period of at least 2 - 3 months (1115 days minimum)
    • If IRCC has the slightest doubt about your residency, you might get additional documentation request which is a pain the rear.
    • More on this in the next section.
Hello Raj, I have the paper application to fill up, but in that form language part is inactive and unable to fill up by typing. I tried by downloading many times, but that error is seen every time. In this case, shall I fill up all the other things in the application, then print and write down just the language part? Please suggest. Thanks in advance!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Raj, I have the paper application to fill up, but in that form language part is inactive and unable to fill up by typing. I tried by downloading many times, but that error is seen every time. In this case, shall I fill up all the other things in the application, then print and write down just the language part? Please suggest. Thanks in advance!
That's weird but yes. I suppose you can do that. I can't see why you cannot fill that particular section using a pen.

rifo94

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I will be applying for citizenship very soon, but I am confused with tax returns.

I landed in 2015 December and did my tax returns for 2016, 2017(Skipped or forgot), 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.

My 5 years fall until 2017 and I can't claim anything regarding 2016. However, my days will be completed with the time I had a study permit and my work permit starts in 2017.

According to this forum and the comments I read, they say if you didn't do a tax return it doesn't calculate as a physical year. I want to ask if that's the case or not.

Even though I did tax returns 4 out of 5 years, will IRCC calculate 2017 or not as a physical year because of tax return isn't completed. If anyone can share their opinion, would be great!

Thanks,

RAPINDIP

Jun 5, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
12-11-2021
AOR Received.
18-02-2022
File Transfer...
17-03-2022
Med's Request
09-03-2022
Med's Done....
21-03-2022
Hi All,

Good Afternoon! Quick question on citizenship application. As of now, my spouse and child (1 year old) sponsorship application is in progress and hoping to finish in couple of months. I am eligible for citizenship as of this month end. My question if in case i file for my citizenship individually now and get the citizenship. Can i file an application for my child or she has to finish 1095 as PR because i am not applying with her as family. Thank you in advance for your response.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi All,

Good Afternoon! Quick question on citizenship application. As of now, my spouse and child (1 year old) sponsorship application is in progress and hoping to finish in couple of months. I am eligible for citizenship as of this month end. My question if in case i file for my citizenship individually now and get the citizenship. Can i file an application for my child or she has to finish 1095 as PR because i am not applying with her as family. Thank you in advance for your response.
I believe you might be able to add your child to the citizenship application as soon as the child becomes a Permanent Resident if your application is still in process or you have already become a Canadian citizen.

Since you are applying for citizenship for a minor under 5(2), I don't think the child has to satisfy the 1095 days requirement.

RAPINDIP

Jun 5, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
12-11-2021
AOR Received.
18-02-2022
File Transfer...
17-03-2022
Med's Request
09-03-2022
Med's Done....
21-03-2022
I believe you might be able to add your child to the citizenship application as soon as the child becomes a Permanent Resident if your application is still in process or you have already become a Canadian citizen.

Since you are applying for citizenship for a minor under 5(2), I don't think the child has to satisfy the 1095 days requirement.
Thanks so much really appreciate your quick response. One last query : I have filed for PCC from BLS last month and received it yesterday. If in case i do a vacation for two-three weeks to visit my family and then come and submit the application the PCC will be valid or have to apply for another one again because of this visit.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks so much really appreciate your quick response. One last query : I have filed for PCC from BLS last month and received it yesterday. If in case i do a vacation for two-three weeks to visit my family and then come and submit the application the PCC will be valid or have to apply for another one again because of this visit.
I don't think so. PCCs are only needed when the stay abroad is for a continuous period of 180 days or more AFAIK.

Trinh

Sep 12, 2017
Hi, I start filling out my online application. In the section on Work, school and activities, the website indicates the following:
  • If there are any missing days, periods of time or if the section is left blank, we’ll return your application to you.
If it happens, applicants will fill out those missing days and re-apply. I am wondering in this case, will applicants have to pay one more time for the service fees or not?

Thank you for any feedback!

Rizjin

Nov 18, 2021
Hi
I am applying for Canadian citizenship and would like to change my name. I am currently using before marriage name on my Indian passport and pR card and rest all paperwork but I would like to have after marriage name in citizenship certificate. What is the process and what docs I will need????

Mar 22, 2018
hi friends
i have seen also above is very good effort but some more questions are in my mind like
q-11
if some one wife is house wife during all her eligibility period but she changed the 3 or 4 address in 2 cities, then what she will put in the address columns pf other activities and also same apply to unemployment profession and changed her address 2 or 3 time the she have to mention the 2 or three address for examples in 2 months unemployment changed the address one month on one address and other month on other address ?
plz reply in detail if some one now,
thanks
Hello,

Could you please let me know how did you fill the address in this case.