16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
23-02-2017 / Passed: 12-07-2017
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
Hi guys,

Regarding birth certificate not in english/french, do we just need to provide a certified translation or also a certified true copy of the original? Will a notary certify a copy of language other than english/french?

Varun84

Oct 21, 2016
Hi all,
Thanks to all who answered my previous question. Just wanted to hear your opinion on online individual vs paper application for family. My wife and I are doing the online application individually. Is there any advantage of doing the paper application together as a family?
Also, for the online application, should I provide a document checklist in the additional supporting documents?

As always, thanks a lot and looking forward to hearing what the community thinks

Kind Regards,
Varun

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi all,
Thanks to all who answered my previous question. Just wanted to hear your opinion on online individual vs paper application for family. My wife and I are doing the online application individually. Is there any advantage of doing the paper application together as a family?
Also, for the online application, should I provide a document checklist in the additional supporting documents?

As always, thanks a lot and looking forward to hearing what the community thinks

Kind Regards,
Varun
I applied 3 months earlier. My wife and kids will apply this week.

Seeing the speed at which the family paper applications are being processed, I am regretting applying online.

I would recommend that you guys apply as a family on paper, given current processing speeds that I am witnessing.

Reactions: Varun84

Varun84

Oct 21, 2016
I applied 3 months earlier. My wife and kids will apply this week.

Seeing the speed at which the family paper applications are being processed, I am regretting applying online.

I would recommend that you guys apply as a family on paper, given current processing speeds that I am witnessing.
Thanks for that input bud!
In your online application, did you submit a document checklist? Did you submit anything under the optional Other supporting documents

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Thanks for that input bud!
In your online application, did you submit a document checklist? Did you submit anything under the optional Other supporting documents
Online you don't need to submit a checklist, everything is there in front of you on the form itself.

I did submit a letter of explanation in additional documents, just to add some information I thought may be useful but no strictly necessary..I got the AOR in 30 days.

Reactions: Varun84

Varun84

Oct 21, 2016
Hi all,
What's the expectation on the citizenship test timeline after submitting the application? We will be submitting the application tomorrow and are planning to travel in September (4 months post application submission). Any chance we might be asked to write the test so soon?
Thanks
Varun

Seeksadv

May 27, 2022
Hi guys, need some advise on an important issue.

I have recently applied for my citizenship application. At the same time my marriage of 3 years seems to be heading south.

I have some questions in mind which i’d be very grateful if can be answered correctly;

1. Does separation/divorce impact my citizenship application in anyway?

2. If we separate, do I need to inform IRCC about this change?

3. If it’s a “YES” for the above then what if we separate and after sometime resolve our differences and are able to get back together. In this case would I have to get in touch with IRCC a second time to inform them we are back together?

*note we immigrated to Canada on PR statuses as a married couple. And not through spousal visa.

Thanks in advance.

ahmed12

Star Member
Dec 19, 2008
PART - 1

WARNING: LONG POST

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all doing good and staying safe in these uncertain times.

Its about time – A few people have been requesting me for a detailed post for citizenship (like my post on Express Entry / OINP HCPS). Also, it is almost my time to apply for citizenship (I’ll be applying later this year). Like always, I will do my best to be as correct and accurate as possible, if you find something to be incorrect, PLEASE let me know.

Since (unfortunately) I can't make this as a single post, I'll split it into 6 parts.

IMPORTANT:

This post covers the information required for adults to apply for regular citizenship. There are other processes like fast-track process for Armed Forces personnel and the like but they are out of the scope of this post.

If you are applying as a family and have a minor child, please follow the procedure to apply for citizenship for minor children IN ADDITION to the steps in this post.

Use this guide as a reference - I will provide links where necessary - It is important to actually open and read the links on the IRCC website. I cannot stress this enough.

Use this guide as a supplement to the IRCC's Instruction Guide . Like I did for my Express Entry post, I will split my post into phases.
  • Pre-Application Phase -> Getting ready to apply / Pre-requisites for submitting a citizenship application
  • Application Phase -> Filling out your application / Gathering Documents / Submitting your application package / Tips
  • Post-Application Phase -> AOR / Additional Document Requests / Test / Oath and next steps
Pre-Application Phase

Irrespective of how we first moved to Canada (student / work / PR / refugee) most of us who moved here have had a goal – applying for Canadian Citizenship. The time is nearing and it is important to understand the process in detail and try not to make any mistakes. The process is a little time consuming – do it once and do it right.

Let’s get to the basics.

Minimum requirements to be able to apply for citizenship:

1. Be a Permanent Resident of Canada

• Your PR status must be in good standing (You should not have a fraud investigation / removal order or the like against you). In other words, your PR status should not be in question.
    • Note: If your PR card has expired, you can still apply. Your PR status is NOT affected if your PR card expires.
  • Naturally, you should have maintained your PR status by being physically present in Canada for at least 2 years in a 5-year period.
2. Time spent in Canada
  • Most people should have spent at least 3 years (1095 days) in a 5-year period (physically present in Canada) immediately preceding the date you are signing the citizenship application.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Permanent Resident counts as one day towards physical presence.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Temporary Resident (Student / Work Visa, for instance) can be calculated as half a day towards physical presence up to a maximum of 365 days only.
  • For instance:
    • Arthur came in on a work visa on Jan 02 2014.
    • He got his PR on Jan 03 2016. He never left the country.
    • The number of days as a temporary resident is 730 days.
    • He spends 2 years (730 days) in Canada as a permanent resident.
    • Arthur can sign and submit his citizenship application on Jan 04 2018.
    • He counts each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident as half a day (which amounts to 365 days) and he counts each day spent as a permanent resident as one day (which amounts to 730 days).
  • The physical presence calculator is a very handy tool to keep track of your travels and calculate physical presence. It is also mandatory that you keep a track of your travels here so that when it is your time to apply, you can print it and submit it with your application.
  • Note 1: If you crossed an international border and returned to Canada the same day, it counts as being physically present in Canada.
    • For instance, traveling to US in the morning for shopping and returning to Canada the same evening – this day does count towards physical presence.
    • It is important to note that you MUST STILL DISCLOSE these trips in your physical presence calculator.
  • Note 2: Similarly, while traveling internationally, the day you leave Canada and the day you return to Canada also counts towards your physical presence.
    • For instance, if you left Canada on September 14th and returned on October 5th, September 14th and October 5th will count towards your physical presence.
  • Stating the obvious but any day spent outside Canada does NOT count towards physical presence. However, as usual, there are some exceptions (doesn’t apply to the majority of us though).
  • Generally, time spent serving a sentence or probation DOES NOT count towards physical presence with some exceptions.
  • Do NOT apply with exactly 1095 days. That is the minimum requirement but it is recommended to apply with more days. I’ll explain why later in the post.
3. Filing income taxes in Canada

Here it comes – something that no one escapes!
  • You must have filed at least 3 tax returns in the last 5 years from the date you sign your citizenship application. Exceptions apply for very few people.
  • The large majority of us WILL NOT be exempt from this.
4. Language Skills
  • Applicants who are of ages 18 – 54 MUST submit proof to substantiate that they can listen and speak at least one of Canada’s 2 official languages English or French.
  • More about this later in the post.
Can Anyone guide , his PR valid till Jan-2023 while My son Has done the citizenship test and now called for Interview on 20th June 2022, further his process of Oath may be in july, But he has an essebtial travel to USA in same July due to his wedding, can he request oath extension for 1 or 2 month??

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi all,
What's the expectation on the citizenship test timeline after submitting the application? We will be submitting the application tomorrow and are planning to travel in September (4 months post application submission). Any chance we might be asked to write the test so soon?
Thanks
Varun
Travel with ease.

These days citizenship test can be taken outside Canada (not sure if they change the rules by September). Some people who submitted family applications in March have gotten test invites (so it all depends on your luck).

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi All,
Thanks for the very detailed first post. However I see a difference in the first eligibility check itself.
You mentioned minimum 2 years on the PR but this is what canada.ca says

Have you been a permanent resident, and physically been in Canada for at least 3 of the last 5 years (1095 days)? (required)

I have been in Canada since March 2018, got PR in Feb 2020, that means only 2.5 years on PR.
Based on presence calculator I am eligible to apply for citizenship but I am not sure if I need to be minimum 3 years on PR on application date or 2 years? I do satisfy the 1095 days presence FYI.

Thanks

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi All,
Thanks for the very detailed first post. However I see a difference in the first eligibility check itself.
You mentioned minimum 2 years on the PR but this is what canada.ca says

Have you been a permanent resident, and physically been in Canada for at least 3 of the last 5 years (1095 days)? (required)

I have been in Canada since March 2018, got PR in Feb 2020, that means only 2.5 years on PR.
Based on presence calculator I am eligible to apply for citizenship but I am not sure if I need to be minimum 3 years on PR on application date or 2 years? I do satisfy the 1095 days presence FYI.

Thanks
In the last 5 years you need to be in Canada for 1095 days. Of those 1095, the maximum days you can be present as non-PR is 365. You need to be a PR for at least 730 days.

Physical presence means your days as PR + days as non-PR (with each non pr day counting as half day to a maximum of 365)

Reactions: OldH1B

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
In the last 5 years you need to be in Canada for 1095 days. Of those 1095, the maximum days you can be present as non-PR is 365. You need to be a PR for at least 730 days.

Physical presence means your days as PR + days as non-PR (with each non pr day counting as half day to a maximum of 365)
Thanks Smash,
I figured it out as well. I used the Canada.ca calculator and it confirmed that I am eligible to apply. thanks

Reactions: smash1984

lyfewithmoore

Apr 6, 2021
From the application process I see one needs to provide pages of their passport, I lost my passport in a house fire and lost all me documents. I travelled to the US for a few days during my 3 years, Can i provide a police statement for this with no passport or it will be an issue?

preet.tech89

Jul 12, 2019
Does application to be filled online via https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/ ?

I see this URL giving error

403 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.
Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.