+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

tuxarc

Star Member
Jun 29, 2020
Could someone please clarify whether days spent in Canada having entered with an eTA as a visitor count as half day for calculation of physical presence in Canada? The CanadaVisa calculator ( https://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-citizenship-eligibility-calculator.html ) doesn't include days spent as a visitor, and the first post of the thread implies they don't count, but the official physical presence calculator page ( https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq ) doesn't mention such an exception:
Temporary resident status includes lawful authorization to enter or remain in Canada as a:
  • visitor,
  • student,
  • worker or,
  • temporary resident permit holder
From which does it arise that days spent in Canada as a visitor do not count for half as physical presence as a temporary resident?

Last edited:

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
Could someone please clarify whether days spent in Canada having entered with an eTA as a visitor count as half day for calculation of physical presence in Canada? The CanadaVisa calculator ( https://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-citizenship-eligibility-calculator.html ) doesn't include days spent as a visitor, and the first post of the thread implies they don't count, but the official physical presence calculator page ( https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq ) doesn't mention such an exception:

From which does it arise that days spent in Canada as a visitor do not count for half as physical presence as a temporary resident?
My understanding was that they would count, I'm in a similar boat, have you found more information?

tahaa21

Oct 4, 2017
Hello to All,

Requiring some clarification

Citizenship Eligibility Dates: 5Yrs ( 15-Jul-2017 to 15-Jul-2022) Application date will be 16-Jul-2022.

My question is regarding the requirement of PCC for period of 4 yrs ( 15-Jul-2018 to 15-Jul-2022)

- I landed in Canada as a PR (First landing) from Kuwait on 02-Nov-2018 and stayed for 15 days & returned back to Kuwait.
- Left Kuwait permanently on 15-06-2019 ( stayed more that 200 days after getting PR in Kuwait)
- Stayed in India for 15 days and shifted permanently to Canada in Jul 2019 (stayed 15 days in India)

The question is do I need to get PCC from Kuwait since I stayed more than 200 days after returning from Canada. (Kuwait PCC was submitted with PR application)

Note in the citizenship form is
"If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) years ,you are not required to provide a police certificate"

If my country of origin is Kuwait then based on the above statement I don't need to get PCC but I want to be sure .

Appreciate if anyone can help/clarify. @rajkamalmohanram

Regards.

expressimmigrant

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017
Hello to All,

Requiring some clarification

Citizenship Eligibility Dates: 5Yrs ( 15-Jul-2017 to 15-Jul-2022) Application date will be 16-Jul-2022.

My question is regarding the requirement of PCC for period of 4 yrs ( 15-Jul-2018 to 15-Jul-2022)

- I landed in Canada as a PR (First landing) from Kuwait on 02-Nov-2018 and stayed for 15 days & returned back to Kuwait.
- Left Kuwait permanently on 15-06-2019 ( stayed more that 200 days after getting PR in Kuwait)
- Stayed in India for 15 days and shifted permanently to Canada in Jul 2019 (stayed 15 days in India)

The question is do I need to get PCC from Kuwait since I stayed more than 200 days after returning from Canada. (Kuwait PCC was submitted with PR application)

Note in the citizenship form is
"If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) years ,you are not required to provide a police certificate"

If my country of origin is Kuwait then based on the above statement I don't need to get PCC but I want to be sure .

Appreciate if anyone can help/clarify. @rajkamalmohanram

Regards.
Hi,

Please check example 2 from the below link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#:~:text=You became a permanent resident 3 years and,days or more in a row in Brazil.

You mentioned that you travelled back and stayed more than 183 days (indicated in the criteria) after you got the PR and landed initially.

check the below link if you meet the criteria where you need to provide a police certificate (which might apply in your case)
  • in the past 4 years (1)
  • for 183 days or more in a row (2)
  • since the age of 18 (3)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#:~:text=in the past,age of 18

Last edited:

joe141985

Nov 5, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-04-2018
Doc's Request.
RCMP
AOR Received.
11-04-2018
Med's Done....
02-05-2018
Passport Req..
23-07-2019
Hello,

I was filling up my application form and was wondering in Q14 did IRCC remove give consent to CBSA checkbox like it has been mentioned in the first post of this thread?

Also regarding employment history, since its year and month, lets say if I leave a company on 31st of May 2021 and join a company on 1st June 2021 then it would be 05-2021 end of company A and 06-2021 beginning of company B. Would that be considered a jump in time since I cant say the dates or is that what it should be?

Thank you.

alxms10

Dec 16, 2016
London-UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London-UK, then Paris-France, then Cairo-Egypt
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-06-2016
Doc's Request.
19-10-2016
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
05/05/2017, then 05/06/2017
VISA ISSUED...
22/06/2017
LANDED..........
07/08/2017
There are 9 other documents which you must submit if it applies to you.
  • If ANY of your documents are NOT in English or French, you must get those documents translated, notarized AND INCLUDE BOTH THE ORIGINAL AND THE TRANSLATED VERSIONS as a part of your application package. You must check the 'Translations' document in case you are submitting translated copies.
  • If you are to submit police certificates, then you must check the 'Original Police Certificates or Clearances'. YOU MUST SUBMIT YOUR ORIGINAL POLICE CERTIFICATE AND NOT A PHOTOCOPY.
Hi guys

Since I will be applying online (not on paper), do I still need to send the original police certificate (as per above note), or just upload a scanned copy to my online applications and this should be enough for this stage?

Also, when applying online, do I have to print the application and send it by mail, or application submitted online is enough? I ask because I read through CIC guide and they ask for a barcode which I believe applies to PDF filled application but wanted to double check

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi guys

Since I will be applying online (not on paper), do I still need to send the original police certificate (as per above note), or just upload a scanned copy to my online applications and this should be enough for this stage?

Also, when applying online, do I have to print the application and send it by mail, or application submitted online is enough? I ask because I read through CIC guide and they ask for a barcode which I believe applies to PDF filled application but wanted to double check
If you are applying online, you'll not have to send any documents via mail when initially applying. So, submitting a scanned copy of the original PCC should be sufficient IMO.

Reactions: alxms10

alxms10

Dec 16, 2016
London-UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London-UK, then Paris-France, then Cairo-Egypt
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-06-2016
Doc's Request.
19-10-2016
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
05/05/2017, then 05/06/2017
VISA ISSUED...
22/06/2017
LANDED..........
07/08/2017
If you are applying online, you'll not have to send any documents via mail when initially applying. So, submitting a scanned copy of the original PCC should be sufficient IMO.
Thank you good sir :)

chuxy12

Apr 15, 2017
Hi guys,

I am about to complete my citizenship application. But I have a challenge here and will need some advise:

My son (7year old) got his PR same time as I did. We left Canada to our native country after landing in 2018. I returned to Canada in 2019 without him. He returned to Canada in 2020, a year after I left him. Now, do I need to add him to my citizenship application, knowing that he hasn't completed the 1095days even as I have completed mine? Or does he need to complete the 1095 days and apply separately? Thank you!

Tony

Nov 14, 2017
Hi,

I am currently applying for citizenship and was wondering if I needed a police certificate from the US.

Details:
I was studying in the US (non US citizen) when I first did my landing in 2017. I eventually moved to Canada in 2019 after working in the US on an H1-B for a year. However since my partner was in Canada during the entire period from 2017, I kept visiting him and as a results I do not have 183 continuous days in a row in the US. However, in previous addresses I have marked the continuous period between 2017 - 2019 as a US address.

So I am not sure if I should mark the question "In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?" as a Yes or No, since according to past addresses and tax history I was a US resident for a period > 183 days however according to travel history I do not have a continuous stay > 183 days outside of Canada (my max was 140 days).

shifali

Oct 17, 2013
Hi,
I am currently in USA but meet all the requirements to apply citizenship. Please advise if the online citizenship application can be submitted while abroad. I am actually stuck at physical days calculator where in my last entry I don’t have a return date yet as I am currently outside canada.

So, please advise if anyone submitted their application from abroad/ or any special consideration for US?

Thanks!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi guys,

I am about to complete my citizenship application. But I have a challenge here and will need some advise:

My son (7year old) got his PR same time as I did. We left Canada to our native country after landing in 2018. I returned to Canada in 2019 without him. He returned to Canada in 2020, a year after I left him. Now, do I need to add him to my citizenship application, knowing that he hasn't completed the 1095days even as I have completed mine? Or does he need to complete the 1095 days and apply separately? Thank you!

Tony
I think you can include you son with your application
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

Reactions: chuxy12