+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Hi101010

Jan 28, 2019
Question regarding filling up the form.
1. For the Address and Employment details, do I have to put in the actual Start Date or from the day my 5 year period begins. For example I am in a job or living at an address since April 2015, while my 5 year period for citizenship eligibility starts from June 2017, should I put my "start date" at the job/address as June 17 or April 2015?

2. I was in my home country for more than 183 days in this 5 year period and now back in Canada. However I maintained my house here in Canada ( paid utilities, rent etc.), through out that period (when I was in my home country).
So in the address details should I :
Option 1 : Canada Address : from Apr 2015 (or June 2017) to Jan 2019 + Dec 2019 to Current + Home country address: Jan 2019 to Dec 2019
Option 2: Canada Address : from Apr 2015 (or June 2017) to Current + Home country address: Jan 2019 to Dec 2019.

Option #1 would reflect that I left the Canada home for almost a year. This might also impact the tax residency (I filed taxes in Canada for that year, since I earned here). The truth is I maintained the house here, so technically it is correct.
Option #2 would reflect an overlap which kinda means I was in both addresses.

Please suggest.
Thank you in advance for your help.

kkalra

Star Member
Jun 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quick question - I did my MBA from Canada and the degree certificate is in the English language. Is that good enough proof for English language for citizenship application? I lost my IELTS that I gave during PR application.
Degree certificate does not mention that the language of instruction was English but the certificate itself is in English which should be make it obvious. Any thoughts?

svk1520

Dec 25, 2017
Does anyone know if we can apply citizenship for Minor from outside of Canada with our (parent's) citizenship certificate copy?

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Quick question - I did my MBA from Canada and the degree certificate is in the English language. Is that good enough proof for English language for citizenship application? I lost my IELTS that I gave during PR application.
Degree certificate does not mention that the language of instruction was English but the certificate itself is in English which should be make it obvious. Any thoughts?
Yes, I believe it should be fine.

Reactions: kkalra

preet.tech89

Jul 12, 2019
Does application to be filled online via https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/ ?

I see this URL giving error

403 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.
Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Can someone guide here? Thanks

maleeksha

Star Member
Nov 26, 2015
Category........
PNP
Hello,
In terms of processing times, is it better for me and my spouse to submit separate online application or 1 paper-based family application? Which one would be faster?
Thank you.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
I have a question on presence calculator.
Before one gets a PR he only gets 50% credit for the days spent in Canada. so if I am on a WP in Canada for 200 days, I will get credit of 100 days only.
But during the 200 days if I am out of canada (Say USA) for 10 days, then will the calculator remove 10 days from my 100 days credit or will it half the days out of canada (half of 10 is 5) and deduct 5 days only?

Hi101010

Jan 28, 2019
Before one gets a PR he only gets 50% credit for the days spent in Canada. so if I am on a WP in Canada for 200 days, I will get credit of 100 days only.
But during the 200 days if I am out of canada (Say USA) for 10 days, then will the calculator remove 10 days from my 100 days credit or will it half the days out of canada (half of 10 is 5) and deduct 5 days only?
You will get 100 days credit. Just take the days you spent in Canada and divide them into half.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
It will subtract 10 days from 200 and divide the remainder 190 days by 2 giving you a physical presence of 95 days.

Reactions: OldH1B

Telemonster

Aug 29, 2021
Question about taxes.

I was out of the country for 2 years, and did not make any profit in Canada. What should I mark in the tax question form.
Required to file taxes YES / NO. Filed Taxes YES/NO. I filed my taxes with H&R block, but they also unsure if I was required to file taxes. I filed those years as 0 profi but every time I tlk to H&R, they keep on asking about that years. Any ideas please. Txs

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
You will get 100 days credit. Just take the days you spent in Canada and divide them into half.
please don't give incorrect information. Read the question again. I am specifically asking about days spend out of canada before PR versus after PR.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
It will subtract 10 days from 200 and divide the remainder 190 days by 2 giving you a physical presence of 95 days.
Yes, this makes sense. When I checked the summary page there it did the math the same way.
After PR, all days out of CA were deduced fully, which also makes sense.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Another question. In all the years I have been in Canada, only I was employed. My wife was a homemaker but I filed joined returns as she would still get the CCB. So based on this, what should I mention in question 12 (b) Required to file v/s Taxes filed. My understanding says, Yes to both.

Also we entered Canada in 2018. But our eligibility calculator goes back to June 2017. So is it ok to mention for Tax year 2017 - Required to file = NO and taxes filed = NO for both myself and spouse?

Thanks,

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Another question. In all the years I have been in Canada, only I was employed. My wife was a homemaker but I filed joined returns as she would still get the CCB. So based on this, what should I mention in question 12 (b) Required to file v/s Taxes filed. My understanding says, Yes to both.

Also we entered Canada in 2018. But our eligibility calculator goes back to June 2017. So is it ok to mention for Tax year 2017 - Required to file = NO and taxes filed = NO for both myself and spouse?

Thanks,
I had the exact same profile.

If your wife is a homemaker then she doesn't need to file. So for her you will write "Required to file" as no but filed as "Yes"

To your other question

So is it ok to mention for Tax year 2017 - Required to file = NO and taxes filed = NO for both myself and spouse? - Correct

Reactions: OldH1B

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
I had the exact same profile.

If your wife is a homemaker then she doesn't need to file. So for her you will write "Required to file" as no but filed as "Yes"

To your other question

So is it ok to mention for Tax year 2017 - Required to file = NO and taxes filed = NO for both myself and spouse? - Correct
Thanks Smash
Are we sure required to file should be NO for spouse, but YES for filed?
Since the spouse gets CCB and some other benefits isn't that income for her ? Would that not make them required to file = YES?