+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask this is that they don't mention anywhere in the presence calculator that all 5 years must be accounted for. They just mention we need to get enough credits through both time after and before PR. I thought only including the non-ambiguos periods may make it quicker to verify and potentially speed up the application.
How do I add the time I had implied status? Should I have a separate entry or have it in the same entry as the work permit I eventually got? I don't see any options for impled status.
You have to give a complete assessment of your physical presence during the eligibility period, regardless of the status.
The "need to get enough credit" thing you list here is about whether you're eligible to the Canadian citizenship grant, not about how to fill your application, and it probably makes it slower, not faster, to send something that will not match IRCC's verifications...

You can briefly explain in the textbox next to each entry that part of it was implied status, or add an explanation letter as an additional document if you want.

Reactions: mk64

mk64

Dec 10, 2019
Many thanks for the information. I'll include all the 5 years in the online presence calculator then. I'll combine the implied staus with the work permit as one entry. I don't see a way to add comments to it though (I'm using the presence calculator within my online application). As you suggested I'll add an explanation letter to make that clear. Hopefully that works.

sanahuq

Feb 19, 2021
Hi folks,

Does anybody know when IRCC will start accepting citizenship apps online for families with minors?

Currently they accept only paper based applications for families applying with minors.

Thanks

Seema81

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
hello,I am dating my application as of today's in absence columned I have to write the date of when u left Canada as date of sign or when actually I left Canada?My situation- became PR on 10 nov 2017,left Canada on 26 nov 2017 and re entered on 30 oct 2019.so in absence, date u left Canada is 12.12.2017 as date of period counting for citizenship or 26 nov 2017 but it don't fall under the dates for citizenship period eligibility.
also for kids applying with parents, need representative form too?

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
Hi folks,

Does anybody know when IRCC will start accepting citizenship apps online for families with minors?

Currently they accept only paper based applications for families applying with minors.

Thanks
These days paper application is going faster! You should probably get in the queue rather than waiting

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
hello,I am dating my application as of today's in absence columned I have to write the date of when u left Canada as date of sign or when actually I left Canada?My situation- became PR on 10 nov 2017,left Canada on 26 nov 2017 and re entered on 30 oct 2019.so in absence, date u left Canada is 12.12.2017 as date of period counting for citizenship or 26 nov 2017 but it don't fall under the dates for citizenship period eligibility.
also for kids applying with parents, need representative form too?
Put the actual date so that if it’s verified against the records, does not conflict. In case Of conflict, it will slow the process.

For kids, i don’t think you need use of representative but if you want to talk to them regarding your spousal application status in future (in case you are applying together) it’s better to fill so either one of you can reach out as needed

ckm_01

Mar 13, 2020
Hi All, today i tried to fill my citizenship application online and encountered below queries:

Wondering in Residence and Tax, do I have to mention all the addresses while traveled to other countries?

Also, what optional documents to submit? Is letter of explanation recommended?
Do we have to attach presence calculator printout or anything with online application as well?

Sorry if this questions has been answered before and Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022
Thank you so much for all the valuable information! I have a question and I would appreciate if someone could help me out. When it comes to travel documents during the 5 years eligibility period, Am I supposed to include the expired Passport which was falling under this period even if I wasn’t a PR at that time? I become PR on December 18, 2019. My eligibility period starts on December 26, 2017. And my actual passport was issued in February, 2019 (few months before I become a PR). I don’t unfortunately keep the old expired passport. Please advise. Thanks

Shaif_05

Nov 20, 2015
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
United Arab Emirates
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2016
Passport Req..
12-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2017
LANDED..........
01-08-2017
Hi,
I am going to apply for my wife and my daughter who is a minor.
Will be using courier and I see there are 2 addresses for adults and minors.

Adults:
Case Processing Centre-Sydney
GRANTS Adults
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 5Z2

Minors:
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 5Z2

Should I be sending the applications separately to these respective addresses? Or can I send them both to one of them perhaps?

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
Thank you so much for all the valuable information! I have a question and I would appreciate if someone could help me out. When it comes to travel documents during the 5 years eligibility period, Am I supposed to include the expired Passport which was falling under this period even if I wasn’t a PR at that time? I become PR on December 18, 2019. My eligibility period starts on December 26, 2017. And my actual passport was issued in February, 2019 (few months before I become a PR). I don’t unfortunately keep the old expired passport. Please advise. Thanks
Yes, please include

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
Hi,
I am going to apply for my wife and my daughter who is a minor.
Will be using courier and I see there are 2 addresses for adults and minors.

Adults:
GRANTS Adults
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 5Z2

Minors:
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 5Z2

Should I be sending the applications separately to these respective addresses? Or can I send them both to one of them perhaps?
Send all together in one package to the courier address for adults.

Double check the id documents for minors as many ppl get the return because of it. Include health card or school certificate or something other than PR card and passport.

Reactions: Shaif_05

Shaif_05

Nov 20, 2015
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
United Arab Emirates
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2016
Passport Req..
12-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2017
LANDED..........
01-08-2017
Send all together in one package to the courier address for adults.

Double check the id documents for minors as many ppl get the return because of it. Include health card or school certificate or something other than PR card and passport.
Thank you, I'll ensure to include those.

I see here in the Guide: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html#step5

to send it to:

Courier Address
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 5Z2

I guess that should work, right? Since, it is mentioned in the Guide.

wink

May 25, 2021
Thank you, I'll ensure to include those.

I see here in the Guide: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html#step5

to send it to:

Courier Address
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 5Z2

I guess that should work, right? Since, it is mentioned in the Guide.
Use the one in the application, which is same as this just one additional line like "Grants Adults" or "Citizenship Grants". Not sure any other type of applications processed there...

Though you are sending multiple applications in one package, try to group them with a clip (as individual bunch) to distinguish each applications.

Amine122018

Sep 21, 2020
Hello, everyone,
I am writing in the hope someone can answer my question. I am currently single and am planning to get married in two months. Given I am currently eligible to apply for citizenship, can I apply now as a single and update IRCC about my marital status when I get married ( after two months) or shall I wait until I get married and submit my application with the status of married? Many thanks in advance for your answer

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
Hello,

Currently filling the application form, hope to submit it by tomorrow. Have a few questions:

1) Based on the answer provided in the guide for question, 10 b we should not needing PCC if we lived in our country of origin before establishing PR and landing in Canada? Would like to know from people who recently submitted the application if they still provided PCC and for people not submitting it, if there was any issues?

2) For the question: Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth):
Apart from mentioning India, do we need to mention F1 and H1-b visa status info for this section? As per US type of visas, F1 and H1-b are classified as non immigrant visa and the online application asks for immigration or citizenship status. Hence the confusion.

3) Currently I stay in a rental apartment. In case if I move to a different rental place in 3-4 months, should I update my application? Does this affect my application? And similarly updating marital status after the application is sent, causes any delay ?

4) I believe the answers mentioned in the guide is for offline application, so a few sections like letter of explanation, checklists, attaching physical presence are not applicable for online application