+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

ms-nobody

Mar 14, 2019
Hi everyone,

I want to inquire about two confusions regarding the requirement to apply for the citizenship application, mentioned below:

1. "You must have filed at least 3 tax returns in the last 5 years from the date you sign your citizenship application. Exceptions apply for very few people. "

In my case, I filed the tax for the year 2018. lived in Canada for around 4 months and 20 days and I did not earn in Canada in the year 2018 but since I filed the tax so I have the NOA for 2018). Does that count towards the above mentioned requirement for the citizenship application? Will the NOA for 2018 will be accepted along with the NOA for 2019 and 2020?

Q12 (b): Tell us when you filed your income taxes in the last five (5) years using the chart below.
* Enter the tax year and indicate:
* If you were required to file for the particular year AND
* If you actually filed the taxes

The above question is from the citizenship application, what does this part mean "If you were required to file for the particular year" ? In my case, for the year 2018 what should be entered?

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated. @rajkamalmohanram can you suggest something to this? :)
Your Notice of assessment will do, so you are fine

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
1. Yes.

"If you were required to file for the particular year..." is in place because some people don't file taxes when they don't have to. In your case, you filed the tax even when you didn't have to so that's fine.

You can use the 2018 return along with 2019 and 2020 for your citizenship application.
Thank you so much for responding :). So you mean that I should enter the following responses for the year 2018(shown in green)

2. Q12 (b): Tell us when you filed your income taxes in the last five (5) years using the chart below.
* Enter the tax year and indicate:
* If you were required to file for the particular year [NO] AND
* If you actually filed the taxes [YES]

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

smanchanda

Feb 15, 2016
Quick question-
Can I apply for Canadian Citizenship (I am eligible) if my wife's application is in processing for Spousal PR application(INLAND Canada)?

PRCanda

Dec 28, 2017
QQ reg tax table(12b) in cit app form: latest form doesn't allow me to enter tax year(first column) via computer, is it okay if I handwritten it?

itzparth

Mar 29, 2018
Hello all, apologies for this silly question. I am trying to calculate my physical presence. When I use the calculator online, it asks this Did you have Canadian temporary resident status (i.e. as a visitor, student, etc) between 2017-03-07 and 2019-01-21 ?,

what should be my answer ?
I have a valid Canada visitors visa from March 2016 until August 2022. However, I was never in Canada between the dates 2017-03-17 to 2019-01-21. So I should answer No correct ? because if I answer yes it asks me the dates.

Last edited:

Dr.Shreeram

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
I found this: Can I submit the results from a third-party language test that I took when I first applied to immigrate to Canada as proof I meet the citizenship language requirement? (cic.gc.ca) Yes. You may send the same third-party language test results from your immigration application with your application for citizenship. There is no expiration date for third-party language test results for citizenship applicants.

Based on the above, I believe she can use the 2017 IELTS certificate even if she didn't use it for PR, as it says that there is no expiration date for IELTS scores for citizenship applications. It doesn't matter if it was previously submitted or not.
Thank you for your reply. However, she didn't used the IELTS certificate for her immigration as it was not required. So I am still unsure whether we can use it for Citizenship application or not.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Thank you for your reply. However, she didn't used the IELTS certificate for her immigration as it was not required. So I am still unsure whether we can use it for Citizenship application or not.
If they were not submitted during PR application, you cannot submit expired IELTS results when applying for citizenship.

itzparth

Mar 29, 2018
I left USA on Oct 30,2019 and reached India on Nov 1,2019 since its approx 24 hours air travel. Due to this, there is a gap in my address history [Missing Oct 31,2019]. How can I fix the error when applying online ? Make date left USA to Oct 31 ? and then explain it in LOE ? Any gaps = application returned so I am not sure what else can be done. :|

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I left USA on Oct 30,2019 and reached India on Nov 1,2019 since its approx 24 hours air travel. Due to this, there is a gap in my address history [Missing Oct 31,2019]. How can I fix the error when applying online ? Make date left USA to Oct 31 ? and then explain it in LOE ? Any gaps = application returned so I am not sure what else can be done. :|
The address history isn't listed day to day, it's from a specific month to a specific month. You'll only need to list your American address from month/year to October 2019, and your Indian one from November 2019 to month/year.

Reactions: itzparth

faraday68

Star Member
Mar 27, 2019
Hi All,

I have received the email for application is in progress but have not received AOR.
as suggested by few i am not able to get hold of call center to get my AOR nor received any response on webform
Anyone has any emailid where i can put forward my case?