+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

QueenPeaches

Star Member
Jun 10, 2021
Thanks for your help, I know all of this. I was in Canada for one mount in April 2017, and then have been here since Nov 21st, 2017 as a visitor until now, one time I extend my visa for 5 mounts and before it finished I left Canada for 5 days, after coming back I applied for PR which I got on Sep12th 2019. and for now, I signed my citizen application on November 7th,2021 with 1130 days for physical presence. I didn't send my extended visa paper to them, I don't know maybe this is a mistake. right now I have no idea about my mistake.
If you got PR in September 2019 and submitted application in November 2021, and did not leave Canada at all during the period, then it means you have about 790 days. You need at least 305 days more.

Your time as a visitor does not count at all and should not be included in the Physical Presence Calculator.

You were actually a visitor right, not a student or temporary resident or refugee?

Mah11

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
If you got PR in September 2019 and submitted application in November 2021, and did not leave Canada at all during the period, then it means you have about 790 days. You need at least 305 days more.

Your time as a visitor does not count at all and should not be included in the Physical Presence Calculator.

You were actually a visitor right, not a student or temporary resident or refugee?
Are you sure? every day before getting Pr counts as half of a day. I had multiple visas from 2016, it was a temporary residence visa,so I came here with that and have been here until now. my physical presence includes 787 pr + 343 visitor time = 1130

Last edited:

Mah11

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
What are the physical presence requirements?
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the five years immediately before the date of your application. We encourage applicants to apply with more than the minimum requirement of 1,095 days of physical presence, to account for any miscalculations of absences, or any other aspect that could lower the physical presence total below 1,095 days. Please note that you cannot meet the physical presence requirement without a minimum of two (2) years as a permanent resident.

When calculating your time in Canada:

only the five (5) years immediately before the date of your application are taken into account;
each day you were physically present in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day (up to a maximum of 365 days);
each day you were physically present in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day;
time spent serving a sentence for an offence in Canada (e.g. serving a term of imprisonment, probation and/or parole) cannot be counted towards your physical presence - there are some exceptions.

ms-nobody

Mar 14, 2019
Are you sure? every day before getting Pr counts as half of a day. I had multiple visas from 2016, it was a temporary residence visa,so I came here with that and have been here until now. my physical presence includes 787 pr + 343 visitor time = 1130
your time as visitor don't count (period), so stop waste your time try to figure this out, reapply when you reach to minimum days.

Reactions: Mah11

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
hi guys, I need some help with my physical presence form, today they returned my application. I couldn't find my mistake.
How do you know the problem is in your physical presence and not somewhere else in your profile?

Do they specifically mention that?

Amdavadi

Feb 17, 2017
Alberta
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04/22/2017
Med's Done....
17-05-2017
Passport Req..
29-06-2017
Hello Members,

I am trying to fill paper application and in Question 12 B) I can not fill tax year for some reason. The box for text year is not blue and i can not enter anything in the box. I am using adobe reader. Do i need to hand write it ?

also,

I am applying for my wife and I

is it better to apply online separately or paper ?

Last edited:

VKM25

Apr 4, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I made some mistake in my online citizenship application and immediately asked for refund next day which i received it in couple of days. I wanted to ask how soon should i be able to reapply for application or when should the portal be updated? when i login to the portal it still says 'You successfully submitted the application"

Thanks!

wink

May 25, 2021
Hello Members,

I am trying to fill paper application and in Question 12 B) I can not fill tax year for some reason. The box for text year is not blue and i can not enter anything in the box. I am using adobe reader. Do i need to hand write it ?

also,

I am applying for my wife and I

is it better to apply online separately or paper ?
Because you did not fill the "To" field for the question 9a. If you fill that out, tax years would be populated automatically...

Mah11

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
How do you know the problem is in your physical presence and not somewhere else in your profile?

Do they specifically mention that?
Thanks for replying. yes, they sent me a letter that says I'm not eligible because of my time in Canada, They didn't notice my passport and translation of my staps.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Thanks for replying. yes, they sent me a letter that says I'm not eligible because of my time in Canada, They didn't notice my passport and translation of my staps.
You mentioned earlier that you applied after a physical presence of 1130 days. Can you elaborate how you arrived at that number?

It would be helpful if you can type the message that IRCC wrote in the letter to you here?

I am also wondering that if you have everything correct then maybe IRCC made a mistake.

Last edited:

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hello,

I am filling up the citizenship form ( paper version ) but do not see question # 14b as described below?
Am I using a incorrect form.

Thanks in advance

Q14 (b): I hereby give my consent to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to disclose the details of my history of travel to IRCC in order to assist IRCC in determining my citizenship eligibility. I also hereby authorize IRCC to collect the history of my travel from the CBSA.

• While you can answer 'No' to this question, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND answering 'Yes' unless you have a very good reason not to.
  • If you answer 'No', you will be asked for additional documentation later in the process which, in my opinion, would be a waste of time.
  • You do not have to contact CBSA for this purpose, it is done for you by IRCC.

Mah11

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
You mentioned earlier that you applied after a physical presence of 1130 days. Can you elaborate how you arrived at that number?

It would be helpful if you can type the message that IRCC wrote in the letter to you here?

I am also wondering that if you have everything correct then maybe IRCC made a mistake.
yes, why not. this is their letter

This refers to your application for citizenship which you signed on 2011-11-07,

Based on the review and initial completeness check of your application, it appears that there has been an error in your physical presence calculation. Therefore, based on the information you have provided. your application does not confirm your physical presence in Canada for the required number of days.

Since October 11, 2017, the Citizenship Act requires that a person be physically present in Canada for at

least 1095 days in the five years immediately before the date of the application For the purposes of the

Act, physical presence is calculated in the following manner:

One full day is counted for each day of physical presence in Canada after becoming a permanent resident One day is counted for each day of physical presence in Canada as an muthorzef Temporar Resident or Protected Person before becoming a permanent resident

Only the five (5) years before the date of application can be counted

On your application and the physical presence calculation that you completed, you indicated having a total of 1130 days of physical presence. However, besed on the review of the information provided by you, and following an initial completeness check of your time in Canada prior to becoming a permanent resident, it appears that you did not accumulate 1095 stays of physical presence before applyre

This discrepancy can occur for a number of reasons, however, most of the time this is due to the

applicant's error in the physical presence calculation in your particular circumstance,

Some or all of the time reported on the Physical Presence Calculator (prior to the Permanent

Resident date) could not be confirmed in our records Please note that you can only claim time

spent in Canada prior to the Permanent Resident date if you were considered a Temporary

Resident or Protected Person as defined by the immigration and Refugee Protection Act

Based on our review, your application does not confirm your physical presence in Canada for the required number of days Since it appears, following our initial completeness check, that you do mot meet one of the eligibility requirements for submitting a citizenship application, your application cannot be accepted into processing and is therefore being returned to you

We understand that this news will be disappointing to you and we encourage you to submit a new application when you have accumulated the required amount of physical presence. If you choose to

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada

reapply, you must submit a new application form with a new Physical Presence Calculator printout along with the required fees, photos and supporting documents.

Further information on eligibility requirements is available on our website at

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship html). You are encouraged to review the requirements to ensure you are eligible before submitting a new application.

If you choose not to reapply, and would like to request a refund, please see the following website for further instruction: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/refund.asp

Yours sincerely,
JGM
Service Delivery Agent

water2wine

Mar 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

Re: Minor Application {A minor applying with Parent - Sub Section 5 (2)}
From my understanding, the minor is *NOT REQUIRED* to have been physically present in Canada 3 out of the last 5 years. Nevertheless, the irony of it is 'number 8b' of the form, where it was asked:
"Has the minor been outside of Canada for a total of 730 days or more in the past five (5) years or since becoming a PR. If yes, Duration, Destination, Reason, Number of days absent."
Here is my question, if physical presence IS NOT REQUIRED for a MINOR, why are they requesting all these details?
I have a minor (PR) living outside Canada but comes visits over the holidays; the minor has been inside Canada for approximately 1 year within the eligibility period i.e. last 5 years, can I apply for the minor alongside my application? Or, will they require the minor to fulfil 1095 days?