Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
galaxytab said:
Hi folks,

I applied for the PhD program once and got rejected. But I am going to apply once more before the end of 2014.
My rejection was because of my employment letter, so I want to be super careful about it this time.

I got a letter from our department that contains the table of my TA and RA history. The problem is that, for the semesters that I TAed, the letter states only 12 hours per week since I was only paid for TA, not for RA. For the semesters that I RAed, everything looks fine, I have 39 h/w of RA. The table looks like this:

Fall 2009 (4 months) $7600 12 hours per week (TA)
Winter 2010 (4 months) $7500 12 hours per week (TA)
Spring/Summer 2010 (4 months) $8000 39 hours per week (RA)
Fall 2010 (4 months) $7957 12 hours per week (TA)
Winter 2011 (4 months) $7957 12 hours per week (TA)
Spring/Summer 2011 (4 months) $8000 39 hours per week (RA)
Spring/Summer 2012 (4 months) $8000 39 hours per week (RA)
Fall 2012 (4 months) $8116 12 hours per week (TA)
Spring/Summer 2013 (4 months) $8000 39 hours per week (RA)
Fall 2013 (4 months) $8380 12 hours per week (TA)
Winter 2014 (4 months) $8380 12 hours per week (TA)
February and March 2014 (2 months) $3000 39 hours per week (RA)
Spring/Summer 2014 (4 months) $8000 39 hours per week (RA)

My question is that: does CIC count TA and RA hours separately? If yes, it means that I do not have enough continuous hours for a single job since I have been TAing almost every other semester. Could you please let me know your thoughts about it?
That's a very tricky question and I think senior members might be able to better help.
Theoretically, RA and TA falls into the same NOC category, which means they might be considered as a single job (and you're good to go). However, I'm not sure how VOs see this case and there is a chance that they complain.
It's appreciated if other members with similar experience could share their opinion.

AdamHH

Nov 2, 2014
Hey party people, hope your applications are going well. I am just preparing mine and I was wondering if I need to submit a police check from Canada or it will be requested additionally? Also, did some of you translate your passports? Stupid question, I know :-\

pyzdfr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2014
Doc's Request.
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Med's Request
21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
AdamHH said:
Hey party people, hope your applications are going well. I am just preparing mine and I was wondering if I need to submit a police check from Canada or it will be requested additionally? Also, did some of you translate your passports? Stupid question, I know :-\
A police certificate from Canada?! I didn't submit mine and I don't think it's required.
Translation of passport?!?! No way. Your passport should come with an english description of everything and it should be just fine.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Move fast! Police certificates from Canada are not required. Most passports are written in English and in the official language of the country issuing the passport. If your passport is also in English, then no need to translate it. If it is not in English, please translate it.

AdamHH said:

AdamHH

Nov 2, 2014
pepe84 said:
Move fast! Police certificates from Canada are not required. Most passports are written in English and in the official language of the country issuing the passport. If your passport is also in English, then no need to translate it. If it is not in English, please translate it.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

darkknight1

Oct 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
16-11-2014
Passport Req..
09-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
18-03-2015
pepe84 said:
Thanks to All. I also got yesterday my Canada Post cheque for $300. Should I return this cheque to Canada Post? I still had to pay for my new PCC which arrived today. What do you guys think?
good to know pepe. all is well now.

i have a question. did anyone see a section titled INFO SHARING..in GCMS notes?

this part-

INFO SHARING: 1
Created Date: ****/**/** **:**:**
Created By: *******
Updated Date: ****/**/** **:**:**
Updated By: EAIBIOG
UCI: ********
Family Name: *******
Given Name(s): ******
Type: Biographic
Partner: USA
Validity Date:
Status Updated By: EAIBIOG
Status Updated Date: ****/**/**
Assigned To: RC-9570
Assigned By: FM02044
Due Date: ****/**/**
Activity #: *-*******

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
I'm not entirely sure if RA and TA can be treated as the same job. Yes, they are in the same NOC code but I remember posts in the past that say one of them should be continuous and equivalent to 1560 hours. How about you get a letter from your supervisor instead? Many of us didn't/couldn't get a letter from department, used supervisor letter, and got PR without any problem. If your supervisor is OK to write something like this, I think it might work:

"[name] commenced employment as a Graduate Research Assistant on [start date of PhD]. Since then, he has been employed working 39 hrs/week for the past ... weeks (... hours in total), at an annual salary of [amount]. His responsibilities include: ... "

And a similar statement for TA. Since you have been working for 5 years, even he agrees to write a number much less than 39, you would be fine.

What do others on the forum think?

galaxytab said:
Hi folks,

I applied for the PhD program once and got rejected. But I am going to apply once more before the end of 2014.
My rejection was because of my employment letter, so I want to be super careful about it this time.

I got a letter from our department that contains the table of my TA and RA history. The problem is that, for the semesters that I TAed, the letter states only 12 hours per week since I was only paid for TA, not for RA. For the semesters that I RAed, everything looks fine, I have 39 h/w of RA. The table looks like this:

Fall 2009 (4 months) $7600 12 hours per week (TA)
Winter 2010 (4 months) $7500 12 hours per week (TA)
Spring/Summer 2010 (4 months) $8000 39 hours per week (RA)
Fall 2010 (4 months) $7957 12 hours per week (TA)
Winter 2011 (4 months) $7957 12 hours per week (TA)
Spring/Summer 2011 (4 months) $8000 39 hours per week (RA)
Spring/Summer 2012 (4 months) $8000 39 hours per week (RA)
Fall 2012 (4 months) $8116 12 hours per week (TA)
Spring/Summer 2013 (4 months) $8000 39 hours per week (RA)
Fall 2013 (4 months) $8380 12 hours per week (TA)
Winter 2014 (4 months) $8380 12 hours per week (TA)
February and March 2014 (2 months) $3000 39 hours per week (RA)
Spring/Summer 2014 (4 months) $8000 39 hours per week (RA)

My question is that: does CIC count TA and RA hours separately? If yes, it means that I do not have enough continuous hours for a single job since I have been TAing almost every other semester. Could you please let me know your thoughts about it?

Dark_Diamond

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
RA_toronto said:
I'm not entirely sure if RA and TA can be treated as the same job. Yes, they are in the same NOC code but I remember posts in the past that say one of them should be continuous and equivalent to 1560 hours. How about you get a letter from your supervisor instead? Many of us didn't/couldn't get a letter from department, used supervisor letter, and got PR without any problem. If your supervisor is OK to write something like this, I think it might work:

"[name] commenced employment as a Graduate Research Assistant on [start date of PhD]. Since then, he has been employed working 39 hrs/week for the past ... weeks (... hours in total), at an annual salary of [amount]. His responsibilities include: ... "

And a similar statement for TA. Since you have been working for 5 years, even he agrees to write a number much less than 39, you would be fine.

I also used my supervisor's letter:

I write in support of XXX request for his/her application for Permanent Residence. XXX has acquired XXX months of working experience in two positions as a full-time teaching assistant (TA) and research assistant (RA), (research/teaching assistant, classified under NOC code 4012) at the University of XXX. He worked continuously under my supervision from XXX to XXX in the Department of XXX for 39 hours per week.

pyzdfr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2014
Doc's Request.
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Med's Request
21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
darkknight1 said:
good to know pepe. all is well now.

i have a question. did anyone see a section titled INFO SHARING..in GCMS notes?

this part-

INFO SHARING: 1
Created Date: ****/**/** **:**:**
Created By: *******
Updated Date: ****/**/** **:**:**
Updated By: EAIBIOG
UCI: ********
Family Name: *******
Given Name(s): ******
Type: Biographic
Partner: USA
Validity Date:
Status Updated By: EAIBIOG
Status Updated Date: ****/**/**
Assigned To: RC-9570
Assigned By: FM02044
Due Date: ****/**/**
Activity #: *-*******
I do see info sharing in my notes. Is there something wrong about them?
By the way? When did you get your notes? Do you mind sharing summary of assessment?

itsvafa

Nov 10, 2014
RA_toronto said:

I agree with you RaTornonto.
galaxytab, I'd be wary of sending table. Last year my application letter was returned for the same work experience problem. One of my work experiences was in table format similar to yours with no explanation of responsibilities. Obviously, CIO rejected that letter. I suggest it is ok for you to keep this letter, but I also recommend that you attach another letter to this one that shows continuity, combines all this and gives a continuous average. This makes it easier for the immigration office and I'm sure they appreciate it. This letter can be written by your supervisor or a staff department.
I had two letters new letters this year. One of them was continuous and the other not. So basically for the non-continuous one, I had done different projects at different times for my prof. She wrote the same thing "my student has been helping me in various projects doing this and that. She was hired in my lab in sep 2010 and she has done this and that by this date (Nov 2014). The total number of hours of her work has been Xhundred. She was paid between 20-24$ per hour."
This is just a suggestion. In the end, it's up to you.
I need to add that I just sent my new application two weeks ago, and I'm unaware if they will accept my application and ref letters this time.

darkknight1

Oct 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
16-11-2014
Passport Req..
09-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
18-03-2015
pyzdfr said:
I do see info sharing in my notes. Is there something wrong about them?
By the way? When did you get your notes? Do you mind sharing summary of assessment?
Thanks. This is from my old notes. Got them just after the medical request, but the notes were actually created before medical request but after PER.
nothing special in the notes as it was the first one. not much to bother but this particular section i could not figure out.
I guessed it may be that CIC sharing info with USA.

galaxytab

Feb 27, 2013
itsvafa said:
I agree with you RaTornonto.
galaxytab, I'd be wary of sending table. Last year my application letter was returned for the same work experience problem. One of my work experiences was in table format similar to yours with no explanation of responsibilities. Obviously, CIO rejected that letter. I suggest it is ok for you to keep this letter, but I also recommend that you attach another letter to this one that shows continuity, combines all this and gives a continuous average. This makes it easier for the immigration office and I'm sure they appreciate it. This letter can be written by your supervisor or a staff department.
I had two letters new letters this year. One of them was continuous and the other not. So basically for the non-continuous one, I had done different projects at different times for my prof. She wrote the same thing "my student has been helping me in various projects doing this and that. She was hired in my lab in sep 2010 and she has done this and that by this date (Nov 2014). The total number of hours of her work has been Xhundred. She was paid between 20-24$ per hour."
This is just a suggestion. In the end, it's up to you.
I need to add that I just sent my new application two weeks ago, and I'm unaware if they will accept my application and ref letters this time.
Dark_Diamond said:
I also used my supervisor's letter:

I write in support of XXX request for his/her application for Permanent Residence. XXX has acquired XXX months of working experience in two positions as a full-time teaching assistant (TA) and research assistant (RA), (research/teaching assistant, classified under NOC code 4012) at the University of XXX. He worked continuously under my supervision from XXX to XXX in the Department of XXX for 39 hours per week.
Thanks everybody for the replies. My rejection reasons for the first time is actually two folds:
(1) "the duties listed in the letters of reference do not match the actions of the lead statement under the NOC code selected"
and
(2) "this work experience was not continuous for one year of full-time work."

So, my understanding from the second one is that they count RA and TA as two separate jobs. What do you think about the first reason? How can I prevent the second one? Is there any successful sample letter or any tips for writing a successful letter available on the forum?

What if I get the TA letter from the department and the RA letter from my supervisor? Normally, I receive about $8000 for RA and $16000 for TA per year. Is that possible that the low payment and high number of hours for RA cause an issue?

bluelotus

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC
NOC Code......
2147, 4011, 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2013
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
23-12-2013
Med's Request
23-07-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2014
LANDED..........
20-11-2014
ojohn22 said:
Actually, I found it: To understand it properly you will do the following:

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2014/2014-12-01-x10/html/extra10-eng.php

I think Section 9d

Core human capital factors

9. The core human capital factors referred to in paragraph 8(1)(a) are the following:

(a) age;
(b) level of education;
(c) official language proficiency; and
(d) Canadian work experience.

is linked with Section 15 (7).

(7) For the purposes of this section,

(a) a period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;
(b) a period of self-employment or unauthorized work is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;

And of course it only affects applicants claiming Canadian work experience.

Let me know what you think.
Thank you very much, ojohn22. You've found a good piece of info. However, I think it still refers to CEC class because Section 15(1) starts with the line: "The points that are to be assigned for the Canadian work experience factor referred to in paragraph 9(d) are the following......". To answer your previous question, you can find the new ranking & point system here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

So, PhD students who are yet to apply, do not lose hope. But as you can see from the new point system, you can earn extra 600 points just by securing a job or provincial nomination. We all know that securing a job while in the middle of phd is not feasible. However some provinces might not require a job to assign provincial nomination. I am no expert on that but you can research for your own province. Good luck to all waiting for MR or PPR :).

bluelotus

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC
NOC Code......
2147, 4011, 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2013
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
23-12-2013
Med's Request
23-07-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2014
LANDED..........
20-11-2014
pepe84 said:
Dear All,

Today I got my new PCC from my home country. Exactly when I was taking them to the translator I suddenly checked my e-mail and I had this wonderful e-mail from CPC-Ottawa:

Dear Sir,

Your police certificates have been received.

Regards,

Case Processing Centre - Ottawa | Centre de Traitement des Demandes – Ottawa – RK6165

OMG, thank God I didn't have to pay the translations!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great to know, chill out and relax :D

pyzdfr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2014
Doc's Request.
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Med's Request
21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
galaxytab said:
Thanks everybody for the replies. My rejection reasons for the first time is actually two folds:
(1) "the duties listed in the letters of reference do not match the actions of the lead statement under the NOC code selected"
and
(2) "this work experience was not continuous for one year of full-time work."

So, my understanding from the second one is that they count RA and TA as two separate jobs. What do you think about the first reason? How can I prevent the second one? Is there any successful sample letter or any tips for writing a successful letter available on the forum?

What if I get the TA letter from the department and the RA letter from my supervisor? Normally, I receive about $8000 for RA and $16000 for TA per year. Is that possible that the low payment and high number of hours for RA cause an issue?
The duties listed in the reference letter should be very much consistent with NOC, which is not hard to follow. Just try to stay close to the duties mentioned in NOC and include a significant number of them, and hopefully you'll be fine.