+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
pepe84 said:
You said Passport Request? :eek: :eek: :eek: Thats a Mission Impossible for this year!

Thanks though!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually I heard from one of my frineds who applied in March that he did not get PPR yet. So probably you will get it after the new year.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
ImmiToCanada said:
Hi Viva2014

If we look at the official statistic (Google "Applications we will accept – Federal skilled workers") there are "227 of 500 (as of November 19, 2014)." So there should be no worry about the cap?

My situation is even more pessimistic. I still have to wait for my national ID (original document) to be delivered to me and then to get a certified copy. I can only submit my application on around Dec 8 or 9. Are Two business days the fastest one can ever expect?

Thanks
First of all 227 is the number of applications undergone completeness check. This number probably shows the completed applications received by around middle to the end of October. So probably there are around 400 applications in their hand by now. So, whenever you get your ID apply as fast as possible.
Regarding the other delivery system, you can call the courier companies such as DHL and Fedex and check the number of days it takes to be delivered. Remember if you are using courier system, the address for sending your application is different from PO Box address.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
ImmiToCanada said:
Thank you very much, pyzdfr

I heard examples that some PhD students failed to receive 5 points for study, as full time studies are officially defined as "at least 15 hours of classes per week".

Can you please kindly let me know
1) if you have any other study experience in Canada in addition to your PhD study. If yes, then it might be these other study experiences instead of the PhD study that give you the 5 points.

2) whether your letter of attestation is sealed in the envelop (that is, you did not OPEN it) when you mail it to CIC. It sounds silly, but I think sealed in the envelop somehow makes the letter more convincing :)
3) If you opened and read the letter, would you mind telling me whether it is explicitly stated on the letter that "the student has finished at least two academic years of full-time study" or something similar to that. As far as I guess, since no PhD transcript is provided, the officer officer cannot judge whether "at least 15 hours of classes per week" is satisfied.

Please feel free to message me if you don't want to post.

I asked this question many times from different users. Only one applicant in this forum was not awarded this point. But this person passed the eligibility and he/she is currently waiting for PPR. All other members got this point. Don't worry. Look at my previous comment for this adaptability point and you will be convinced. In the regulation of OP 6C which they are using for assessing applications there is no "15 hours" and it only says full time. Even in another page of CIC the definition of full-time study status is determined by your institution.

Thanks very much for your valuable help.

Best

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is fine, my point was that you must clearly define the time periods, not just only write the year when you started working.

specialmary said:
I do not understand: so if I say that I work from May 1, 2011 to Aug 31, 2011, and I worked 5 hours per week, will there be a issue? The document checklist clearly states to include the number of work hours per week, I believe?

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thats my hope Viva2014. Hopefully early 2015. My only concern was that I wanted to claim tuition reduction for W15, but it's not gonna happen because the deadline here at my university is Feb 1st and I don't think I will get the CoPR before Feb1st 2015. So it will have to be for S15, HOPEFULLY!!!!

Viva2014 said:
Actually I heard from one of my frineds who applied in March that he did not get PPR yet. So probably you will get it after the new year.

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
Viva2014 said:
Thank you very much, pyzdfr

I heard examples that some PhD students failed to receive 5 points for study, as full time studies are officially defined as "at least 15 hours of classes per week".

Can you please kindly let me know
1) if you have any other study experience in Canada in addition to your PhD study. If yes, then it might be these other study experiences instead of the PhD study that give you the 5 points.

2) whether your letter of attestation is sealed in the envelop (that is, you did not OPEN it) when you mail it to CIC. It sounds silly, but I think sealed in the envelop somehow makes the letter more convincing Smiley
3) If you opened and read the letter, would you mind telling me whether it is explicitly stated on the letter that "the student has finished at least two academic years of full-time study" or something similar to that. As far as I guess, since no PhD transcript is provided, the officer officer cannot judge whether "at least 15 hours of classes per week" is satisfied.

Please feel free to message me if you don't want to post.

I asked this question many times from different users. Only one applicant in this forum was not awarded this point. But this person passed the eligibility and he/she is currently waiting for PPR. All other members got this point. Don't worry. Look at my previous comment for this adaptability point and you will be convinced. In the regulation of OP 6C which they are using for assessing applications there is no "15 hours" and it only says full time. Even in another page of CIC the definition of full-time study status is determined by your institution.

Thanks very much for your valuable help.

Best
Thanks, pepe84.

I read about the 5-point adaptability requirement: It has the following conditions:
(a) full-time secondary or post-secondary study;
(b) at least two years of study has been done;
(c) the programme needs to be two years or more in length; and
(d) good academic standing (as defined by the school) throughout the period of study.

You don't need to have completed the programme to gain these 5 points; you just need to fulfill all of the four conditions. It may be possible that the person who did not obtain the point finished the two years of study in a programme that normally lasts only one year?

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
specialmary said:
Thanks, pepe84.

I read about the 5-point adaptability requirement: It has the following conditions:
(a) full-time secondary or post-secondary study;
(b) at least two years of study has been done;
(c) the programme needs to be two years or more in length; and
(d) good academic standing (as defined by the school) throughout the period of study.

You don't need to have completed the programme to gain these 5 points; you just need to fulfill all of the four conditions. It may be possible that the person who did not obtain the point finished the two years of study in a programme that normally lasts only one year?
If you are a Phd student, it is impossible that your program is only taking one year! It takes at least two years. PhD program is generally considered a 4-year program although you might be able to finish it in 2 years.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
pepe84 said:
Thats my hope Viva2014. Hopefully early 2015. My only concern was that I wanted to claim tuition reduction for W15, but it's not gonna happen because the deadline here at my university is Feb 1st and I don't think I will get the CoPR before Feb1st 2015. So it will have to be for S15, HOPEFULLY!!!!
Not sure which university you are studying but in my university, by having your PER you are eligible to pay domestic tuition.

jeffrey2012

Nov 22, 2013
any guys notice that since Nov. 2014, there is no Passport Request for the phd applicants according to the phd timetable. while, there are some for general applicants according to the 2014 timetable.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is literally impossible in Southern Ontario! I have tried and they ask for either CoPR or PR card!

Viva2014 said:
Not sure which university you are studying but in my university, by having your PER you are eligible to pay domestic tuition.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Those applicants are from Visa Offices overseas! There has been no passport requests from our Visa Office for either PhD or NOC applicants.

jeffrey2012 said:
any guys notice that since Nov. 2014, there is no Passport Request for the phd applicants according to the phd timetable. while, there are some for general applicants according to the 2014 timetable.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
pepe84 said:
It is literally impossible in Southern Ontario! I have tried and they ask for either CoPR or PR card!
I also know other universities that are accepting PER for changing the tuition fees. You case is strange for me.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are they in Ontario? I can tell you that I know people from three different Universities in Southern Ontario (including mine) and the financial department has denied them tuition reduction after they showed their PER letters. They said you must have in hands your CoPR or Permanent Resident Card. "University policies strictly prohibit tuition reduction to students who are not yet permanent residents. If for some reasons your application is refused after you claim domestic fees with your PER email, you will be in trouble. So we do not want you to be in trouble" I am quoting the words from my financial department.

Viva2014 said:
I also know other universities that are accepting PER for changing the tuition fees. You case is strange for me.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you guys experiencing difficulties when trying to check your eCAS status? Mine takes 5-10 minutes to log in and I have tried in faster computers!

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
pepe84 said:
Are they in Ontario? I can tell you that I know people from three different Universities in Southern Ontario (including mine) and the financial department has denied them tuition reduction after they showed their PER letters. They said you must have in hands your CoPR or Permanent Resident Card. "University policies strictly prohibit tuition reduction to students who are not yet permanent residents. If for some reasons your application is refused after you claim domestic fees with your PER email, you will be in trouble. So we do not want you to be in trouble" I am quoting the words from my financial department.
In my phd programme they waived tuition for PhD students. Therefore, tuition reduction is irrelevant to us. Not sure about other programmes though.

It seems to me that it is the government policy to benefit applicants. Therefore, it should be the government responsibility to pay even though you get rejected later in the stage. In addition, I don't see how you can get into trouble - the worst scenario is that you pay them back. Maybe a visit to the school's law department and asking them to write a lawyer letter will help.