06/06/2014
Passport Req..
08/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
15/01/2015
LANDED..........
24/01/2015
Good day everyone,

Is the RCMP really a must for PhD stream? I received the FPRF and doc request(supervisor info and publications and CV) and medical request a month ago and did the medical but no sign for RCMP. Do I need to do it and send it to them anyway or only if they ask for it?

Thanks

Henry.Nguyen said:
Sa-ha,

RCMP is a must for PhD stream applicants because you have lived in Canada for more than 6 months.
If you are currently in Canada, it's very simple, just go to any Commissionaries and request for a police certificate. They will take your fingerprint and send it to RCMP to check for criminal record. After that the RCMP will send the result to you. It takes about a week only.
https://www.commissionaires.ca/en/national/home

Hisham984

Jul 8, 2014
albaik said:
Hi Hisham,

See my comments below ... I'm answering based upon my own experience.
Thank you very much albaik for your helpful answers. I meant to write that dentistry is not among the 50 eligible occupations, so what do you think?

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
Melhem1 said:
Hi Chakri,

Congrats again, hopefully you will get the passport request soon. I and other applicants here who did the medical almost seven weeks ago still do not have the update on ecas that they received the medical result.
Are you in Toronto? if yes, where did you do the medical test?
Hi Melhem1,

Thanks. I live in London, Ontario. I went to Dr. Mary McDonagh here in London. Did your doctor tell you that he/she updated the results to CIC? Actually I was running behind the doctor for a copy of my medical results for my records. She told me that I cannot get a copy until she uploaded them into CIC system. So I have been reminding her constantly and she uploaded them 10 days after the test. So may be you need to double check with your doctor.

vivi

Jan 1, 2014
Thanks you. So it means that in your case cic accepted your claimed 40 hours per week? If so, that is a good news for me. If that is correct, I will not update my reference letter because it may cause misinterpretation.

2MarriedPhDs said:
Hello vivi,

sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
It is true that I updated my reference letter once, but it was only because I didn't have the magic work "assist" in it.
In my first letter I claimed 40 hours/week, and in the second I claimed 39 hours/week.
I just changed from 40 to 39 because, at the time I updated my letter, my department had started issuing reference letters for RA and TA for PR purposes, and their official letter stated that I had worked 39 hours/week. I sent both my supervisor letter and the department letter when I updated my application. I didn't make any changes in Schedule 3.

What I am going to say to you right now is only *my* opinion based on the things I read in this forum and in my own experience:
If you have a strong application, they will not be picky with your reference letter.
Otherwise, if they don't like your application for some reason, but this reason is not valid for a rejection, they will start searching for stupid things like reference letter details to have grounds for a denial.

Having said that, of course it is better to not give them *any* reason where they can base their rejection.
But I cannot say my reference letter was good enough in this sense.
I don't know if changing your letter from 40 hours to 25 hours/week could cause misinterpretation, but I believe a few people here did that and passed eligibility.
Anyone want to comment about this?

vivi

Jan 1, 2014
That is right. I am gonna submit a new reference letter based on truth which is approximately 25 hours per week RA/TA. But the problem is that I have already submitted a reference letter, claiming that I have worked 40 hours/week. How can I update my reference letter, in one hand claim for 25 hours per week, and at the the other hand be sure that it does not make a misrepresentation?

salem10 said:
The answer of this dilemma is simple; however, all applicants in this stream trying to ignore it. The answer is write the truth. How many hours you dedicated for RA that beyond your research project. Add those to what you have TA, then you can find how many hours of work per week. Most of applicants here don't like this because they will find them self work of about 20hrs/week or even less than 15hours/week. I don't believe that any full time international PhD student can or allowed to work 40hr/week. This is unbelievable and CIC should reject all of those submission with fake letters. How it come, you write your letter by yourself, and ask your supervisor signature. This is really shame on like PhD Candidates!!!

The good here you have a special stream that dedicated for you, so why you hurt it. When large percentage of those applicant are rejected, simply this stream would be closed.

Ask your self and do what you found real, that is my bottom advice to all of you.
Hope the best.

albaik

Star Member
Jun 9, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2013
Doc's Request.
04-07-2014
Med's Request
05-07-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014 / Med's Received: 19-07-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2014
LANDED..........
30-08-2014
Hi Hisham,

If this is the case, then, your only option is to apply under the PhD category unless you have a job offer.

You can add Dentist as your intended occupation even if it is not one of the eligible occupation. I added "Project Management" and it had not been one of the eligible NOCs... My application has been found eligible by both, Sydney and Ottawa.

I provided the answer based around my own experience, situations may differ from case to case depending on several factors, including but not limited to work experience (no. of years), strength of reference letters, and the overall strength of your application. Keep in mind that the officer is the ultimate decision maker and S/he may accept an application to be eligible while refuse a similar application for whatever the reason S/he may find.

I provided my two cents, however, the final decision is yours.

Best Regards,

Hisham984 said:
Thank you very much albaik for your helpful answers. I meant to write that dentistry is not among the 50 eligible occupations, so what do you think?

albaik

Star Member
Jun 9, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2013
Doc's Request.
04-07-2014
Med's Request
05-07-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014 / Med's Received: 19-07-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2014
LANDED..........
30-08-2014
Admins,

Would you please update my details on the tracker?

Doc Request : July 4th, 2014 ---> (FBI Clearance, which is not applicable to me)
RPRF Request: July 4th, 2014
Medical Request: July 5th, 2014
Medical Done: July 8th, 2014

Thank you for your efforts.

Best Regards,

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
prapplicant13 said:
Good day everyone,

Is the RCMP really a must for PhD stream? I received the FPRF and doc request(supervisor info and publications and CV) and medical request a month ago and did the medical but no sign for RCMP. Do I need to do it and send it to them anyway or only if they ask for it?

Thanks
No. It's not a must. They ask it from applicants who have a very common name. I received passport request and was never asked for RCMP.

prapplicant13

Star Member
Mar 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2013
Doc's Request.
26/05/2014
Med's Request
27/05/2014
Med's Done....
06/06/2014
Passport Req..
08/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
15/01/2015
LANDED..........
24/01/2015
Thanks for the info :)

Parkinson said:
No. It's not a must. They ask it from applicants who have a very common name. I received passport request and was never asked for RCMP.

Henry.Nguyen

May 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2013
AOR Received.
08-04-2013
IELTS Request
Included
Med's Request
28-05-2014
Med's Done....
13-06-2014 / Med's Received: 17-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Well, I think it's a must because CIC mentions that. Did you submit RCMP with your application? If not, it's really interesting. ;)

Police certificates

"All applicants must submit police certificates/clearances as part of the application process.

You and all of your family members who are 18 years of age and older and who are not already permanent residents or Canadian citizens will have to provide:

a valid police certificate, or
police clearance, or
record of no information.

These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG7TOC.asp

Parkinson said:

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
Henry.Nguyen said:
Well, I think it's a must because CIC mentions that. Did you submit RCMP with your application? If not, it's really interesting. ;)

Police certificates

"All applicants must submit police certificates/clearances as part of the application process.

You and all of your family members who are 18 years of age and older and who are not already permanent residents or Canadian citizens will have to provide:

police clearance, or

These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18."

I did not submit RCMP with my application either or was I never asked for it.

prapplicant13

Star Member
Mar 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2013
Doc's Request.
26/05/2014
Med's Request
27/05/2014
Med's Done....
06/06/2014
Passport Req..
08/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
15/01/2015
LANDED..........
24/01/2015
Well I did submit the police clearance from my home country but I guess RCMP is something different...

Henry.Nguyen said:

Police certificates

police clearance, or

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
prapplicant13 said:
Well I did submit the police clearance from my home country but I guess RCMP is something different...
Yes. You are right. They are different.

andisheh

Apr 3, 2014
Hi all,

CIC asked me to submit some documents. Would you guys please help me interpreting the following paragraph.

- Police certificates for yourself, your spouse and each dependent child over the age of 18
o You, your spouse and your dependent children over the age of 18 must submit an updated police certificate from the country where they are currently residing
o You must submit a police certificate from every country where you and your spouse have resided more than six months if it has not already been submitted; this requirements applies also to your dependent children if they have resided in foreign countries for more than six months after their 18th birthday

Do I need to also get a PC for Canada as well? I have been living in Canada since 2010?

I have submitted a police certificate from my country of origin in my initial submission in 2012, does this mean that I do not need to submit an updated PC, since it says "... if it has not already been submitted ..." and they used the word "updated" just for the "country where I am are currently residing".

Thanks in advance.

climate_modeller

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
21-May-2014
AOR Received.
17-Jun-2013
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
17-Jun-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not necessary
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2014 (CoPR)
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
prapplicant13 said:
Good day everyone,

Thanks
they never asked for RCMP from me and I have never sent in one and I have a "Decision Made" in eCas.