Doc's Request.
October 2013
AOR Received.
Mar-5-2013
LANDED..........
Landed...
Master3 said:
Hi all.

We landed yesterday from Sarnia border. They did not ask for anything ( bank statement & enrollment letter ). I suggest you have them on you for landing. Be safe better than sorry.
I checked "London international airport" and "Detroit–Windsor Tunnel" but both said "this office does not accept landing from inside Canada anymore".
Police officer were nice in both US and Canada sides and knew what to do.
Don't forget duty free if you have want to do this process. Its very cheap. :)

Finally I got my PR after 4 failed tries. Thanks all for your helpful comments.

I hope see you all in "Citizenship Forum" soon !!!!
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any question.
Congrats! It is good and heart-warming to know that the previous failed-attempts did not deter you from getting the PR!!

SMike

Jun 20, 2012
zhanghaizh007 said:
Who can tell me if I need to ask the department to stamp on the RA letter from professor with the university seal???
Like beh467, mine was only signed by my advisor.

ubcweicai

Jan 16, 2014
Got files from CIC! In their examination details, I got 73 points:
12 for age
11 for work experience
23 for education (master in Korea)
22 for language
5 for adaptability for 2-year Canada Study

However, I have some questions:

1. I claimed two work experience: 2 years RA in Canada (35 hrs per week) and 2 years RA in Korea (30 hrs per week), but they only give 2 years points. Is there anybody knows why?

2. As I know, the adaptability for 2-year Canada Study only give to those students with 2-year of more than a certain number of credits per term. I am in PhD program and I certainly will not be qualify for this 5 points, according to many reports and arguments online. Is it a mistake in CIC? If so, the 5 points won't be granted in visa office, right?

Anyway, without the 5 points, I still have 68 points from other sections.

Could I consider my application a "hopeful" one then?

Thanks a lot!

ahmadimo

Jan 20, 2013
ubcweicai said:
1. I claimed two work experience: 2 years RA in Canada (35 hrs per week) and 2 years RA in Korea (30 hrs per week), but they only give 2 years points. Is there anybody knows why?
I believe that's their routine of passing the judgment to case processing center for that. They also gave me only 2 years points despite my 7 years claimed. They didn't update that even after sending updated reference letters. So I think it would not change until they begin your eligibility assessment in the case processing center.

hamza.625

May 4, 2012
I've received my PER by email. Can I request CIC to send that to me via post as well? I need the PER by post for some official processing.

BioMed

Apr 23, 2013
Stuck In Quebec said:
Yes you are right, you should be within 6 months of graduation and have intermediate level french (B1) unless you are pursuing your degree in a french university like UQAM or UdeM for PEQ. People still go for CSQ route if they dont have B1 in TEFaQ test. I am waiting for the things to take shape under this stream or else I will open a CSQ/PEQ file too. Now its no use as they might issue it but having two files at federal wont be a good idea. You have to cancel one.

Things could be very simple depending upon your luck. I would definitely brush up french a lot. They don't take interviews anymore (only selected few). Decision is made on the language certificates attached. So TEFaQ is a must now and a booming business. Finding dates is difficult and even then they might make you short on B1 by 1-2 points. So beware. Its an easy test if you genuinely know french but still.

I don't want to sound negative but there are tons of inconsistencies in rules. So pad up as much as you can.

Still fingers crossed as dont know whats gonna happen to applicants from Quebec under PhD stream.
I have a follow-up question also. As for CSQ/PEQ language requirement, I've been doing my PhD at UdeM for more than 4 years and all my transcripts and attestations are already in French, however, no where it's specifically mentioned that the courses were in French (does any department issue such a letter at UdeM at all? as UdeM is already a French speaking university). Do you think that would suffice?
Thanks

ubcweicai

Jan 16, 2014
ahmadimo said:
I believe that's their routine of passing the judgment to case processing center for that. They also gave me only 2 years points despite my 7 years claimed. They didn't update that even after sending updated reference letters. So I think it would not change until they begin your eligibility assessment in the case processing center.
Thanks! So does it mean that the CIC result means nothing? OK... then I have one more year to wait for the decisions ... T_T

BioMed

Apr 23, 2013
I have a follow-up question also. As for CSQ/PEQ language requirement, I've been doing my PhD at UdeM for more than 4 years and all my transcripts and attestations are already in French, however, no where it's specifically mentioned that the courses were in French (does any department issue such a letter at UdeM at all? as UdeM is already a French speaking university). Do you think that would suffice?
Thanks

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Dear all,
If I am processing a divorce, should I mention that to CIC to cancel processing my spouse's application?
It may take 3-5 months to get the divorce certificate. So I was wondering should I inform them now without the certificate?
Is there any guideline for it?

btw I applied in September, 2013.

Thanks.

E-not

Mar 15, 2014
Dear all,

I am applying for PR under FSW PhD track.

Two questions related to that:

1. People consistently talk about 1950 hours as an equivalent of 1 year of full-time employment. Statistics Canada Defines full-time employment as at least 30 hours per week (google it. I can't post a link). This is 30x52=1560 hours per 1 year of full-time employment. So, the question is: what is the benchmark: 1950 or 1560 hours?

2. My university defines part-time TAship/RAship as 6 hours per week and full-time TA-ship/RAship as 12 hours a week. This translates to 96 hours per term (part-time) and 192 hours per term (full-time) respectively.

This means that I need over 10 semesters (3+ years) of continuous employment to gain 1950 hours.

I've heard people saying that they were managing to claim 2000+ hours after 2 years of full-time TAship/RAship. Is it because their universities have different full-time/part-time definitions? Is it because people take multiple positions? Is it because I miss claiming some implicit hours that should be put into my application?

Thanks in advance.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
E-not said:
Dear all,

1. People consistently talk about 1950 hours as an equivalent of 1 year of full-time employment. Statistics Canada Defines full-time employment as at least 30 hours per week (google it. I can't post a link). This is 30x52=1560 hours per 1 year of full-time employment. So, the question is: what is the benchmark: 1950 or 1560 hours?

Ans: read guide .. it says work of 30hrs/week or more is considered as full-time work (specifically for the PR application)

2. My university defines part-time TAship/RAship as 6 hours per week and full-time TA-ship/RAship as 12 hours a week. This translates to 96 hours per term (part-time) and 192 hours per term (full-time) respectively.

This means that I need over 10 semesters (3+ years) of continuous employment to gain 1950 hours.

I've heard people saying that they were managing to claim 2000+ hours after 2 years of full-time TAship/RAship. Is it because their universities have different full-time/part-time definitions? Is it because people take multiple positions? Is it because I miss claiming some implicit hours that should be put into my application?

Ans: TA depends on University's rule ... in our university TA is normally 10hrs/week (can be up to 13.33 hr/week) and RA depends on prof's requirement .. normally 20 hrs/week .. in my case my prof told its 30hr/week (minimum) that is what she mentioned in my reference letter
Thanks in advance.

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I copied from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp
B) Minimum requirements
Work experience

If your application is eligible to be processed, we will then assess it to see if your work experience, as described above, is valid.

Your work experience must be:

at least one year (1560 hours), full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships, etc. do not count),
in the same occupation, and
within the last 10 years,
at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC)
You must show that you did the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed. If you do not show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, we will refuse your application.

E-not said:
Dear all,

Thanks in advance.

canadian-13

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 13, 2013
Doc's Request.
October 2013
AOR Received.
Mar-5-2013
LANDED..........
Landed...
aalm said:
Dear all,
If I am processing a divorce, should I mention that to CIC to cancel processing my spouse's application?
It may take 3-5 months to get the divorce certificate. So I was wondering should I inform them now without the certificate?
Is there any guideline for it?

btw I applied in September, 2013.

Thanks.
Not sure, but you may want to ask you attorney, since you are the primary applicant, it should be possible to get this through with proper evidence.

saintezym

Jul 13, 2012
i forgot to update here.
I got rejected in Jan 28.
The reason is" Your periods of work experience as a Teaching Assistant and as a Research Assistant (NOC 4012) at XX University do not meet the requirements of b) above as the letters of reference you submitted listed duties that do not match the actions of the lead statement and a substantial number of the main duties under the NOC code you selected. As such, you failed to demonstrate that your periods of work experience met the requirements listed above"

I never expected my Reference Letter would be the problem. I actually did list the duties, not using the same wording. Some other people told me the letter need to be over one page's length.
Anyway, I am going to apply in CEC.

2MarriedPhDs

Feb 18, 2014
Hey guys,

I am getting worried about my reference letters.... does anyone have a good template to send me?
I am seriously thinking about updating them!
If I do decide to update the letters, how should I do it? Send it through mail or email? And where to?

Thanks a lot!!