+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
aidina said:
Not necessarily. I have applied 5 times so far. 3 times received it within 20 days, once received it 30 days after I applied, and once did not receive it at all :).
Well I applied 3 times and got it always on the 30th day. The fourth one is expected this week. Let's hope it comes on time:)

BioMed

Apr 23, 2013
canadian-13 said:
Welcome on board!
To the best of my knowledge, you can apply from a Quebec Institution as long as you do not have the intention to remain in Quebec, such intentions to leave must be provable. There are hurdles, but they are not insurmountable, you may want to view the timeline of some Quebec guys who have gone through the PhD stream.
Your RA experience counts as work experience. Again, you may want to read through some old posts to see how the letter in support of the work experience should be phrased.
I think IELTS are required even if you can prove that you studied in English.
Your post-doc in the States should not come in your way of the application, rather it is a good proof that you intend to leave Quebec.
I must say that there are senior people on this forum who are more experienced in some of these issues. It would be nice for you to have their inputs also.
This is as far as I know... Bon chance!!
Thanks dear fellow,
That makes sense! Do you happen to know any of the senior members with experience with Quebec institutes? I'm sort of new and not sure how I can get in touch with other members. Best

ubcweicai

Jan 16, 2014
sgtrigger said:
It takes a month...exactly 30 days actually...
aidina said:
Not necessarily. I have applied 5 times so far. 3 times received it within 20 days, once received it 30 days after I applied, and once did not receive it at all :).
Houra said:
Same thing here. The last time I applied was in Dec and I didn't get anything back. I emailed them a few times and finally they said they can't find my application even though they had the confirmation number... I just re-applied...
Thanks! I might wait for one more week and contact them if nothing happens XD

tmaclu

Mar 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys, quick question: where can I check if this year's cap has been reached or not? Somehow I wasn't able to find this information on the CIC website... Thanks!!

littlenorth

Feb 12, 2014
Thank you, Parkinson.

I still want to know what kind of explanation I should address, as a PhD student. Lack of funding or TA income? too much expense for some particular issues like bought a car, a $2k mbp, a iPhone 5s? Started a new hobby which cost lots of money, like coin&stamp collection? or simply, I got a girlfriend?

And, say, if I get the request today, how long can I hold this request before I send the statement back to them? I'm thinking to hold it for 6 months.

I think this bank statement is ridiculous, I am already here in Canada, for almost 4 years, then why do I need some fund for settlement when I am already settled... And the worst, their is not such a clause saying that applicant needs to maintain that money while the application is in process, I can't find this on their website.

I'm not arguing with you, Parkinson, just have some angry feelings about this stupid policy.

Parkinson said:
If they ask for POF, they ask for the last six months bank statement. Start from today. Try to maintain the amount in your account (if you have the money) from now. If they ask for POF, 4 months later (for example), you at least have 4 months bank statement and can explain about 2 other months.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ubcweicai said:
Thanks! I might wait for one more week and contact them if nothing happens XD
where can we contct them regarding GCMS notes that have never arrived?

Thanks!!!!

Master3

Star Member
Jan 29, 2013
Hi all.

We landed yesterday from Sarnia border. They did not ask for anything ( bank statement & enrollment letter ). I suggest you have them on you for landing. Be safe better than sorry.
I checked "London international airport" and "Detroit–Windsor Tunnel" but both said "this office does not accept landing from inside Canada anymore".
Police officer were nice in both US and Canada sides and knew what to do.
Don't forget duty free if you have want to do this process. Its very cheap. :)

Finally I got my PR after 4 failed tries. Thanks all for your helpful comments.

I hope see you all in "Citizenship Forum" soon !!!!
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any question.

pyzdfr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2014
Doc's Request.
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Med's Request
21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
salem10 said:
You should seek the truth in your reference letter. How much hours is shown on your employment letters. That what you should report. If fact, the pay rate for RA or TA is around 20$/hour. CIC might compare your income with claimed hours to see the pay rate. If they found large differences, the suspect that the letter is not credible. I understand that you might looking for at least one year equivalent full time hours, but this should not guide you to misrepresentation.
As I said, down the road, CIC asks for pay check copies, and employment offers for each TA and employment letters for RA. Your letter should be in consistency with those documents.
Thanks for your reply.
Based on what you said, there are two problems.
1) In the letter that I receive from HR, they say I have worked 40hours/week as RA/TA and they are not willing to change it. If CIC decides to compare my 40hrs/week against my income, they are nowhere close. If I ask my supervisor to write anything other than 40, it would conflict with HR letter and if I mention 40hrs/week, it would seem unreasonable.
2) My main income is a fellowship that I receive from university and my supervisor top it up with 12k. Since fellowships are not considered as income, I have to work for 4 years (considering the pay rate is 30$/hr) to fulfill 1-year full-time work.

Considering this situation, how many hours I should report?

pyzdfr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2014
Doc's Request.
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Med's Request
21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
SMike said:
This looks good. I am not sure if you truly did fulltime RA in your first year. Did you have to take classes in your first year? If yes, how were you able to do fulltime (35-40 hr/week) or even up to 30 hr/ week TA or RA in your first year. You may want to explain this to CIC.

If my case is something that may help you, I claimed less than part-time TA work in my first year as I had to take classes and I did no RA at all in my first year. In my second year my combined RA and TA work was fulltime. I combined all these with the RA and TA work I did in my early third year just before I submitted my application. In addition I had a summary cover letter that contained a table of two columns: one column each for the month and the hours spent on RA or TA for that month. You don't have to do this but I did it.

Overall your draft letter looks good but you may have to give details or summary cover letter to support your claims.

Good luck.
Thanks for your suggestion. Would you please give me more information about your letter, such as number of hours you reported, and whether you submitted one letter for both RA/TA or two separate letters were submitted?

Thanks

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
littlenorth said:
Thank you, Parkinson.

I still want to know what kind of explanation I should address, as a PhD student. Lack of funding or TA income? too much expense for some particular issues like bought a car, a $2k mbp, a iPhone 5s? Started a new hobby which cost lots of money, like coin&stamp collection? or simply, I got a girlfriend?

And, say, if I get the request today, how long can I hold this request before I send the statement back to them? I'm thinking to hold it for 6 months.

I think this bank statement is ridiculous, I am already here in Canada, for almost 4 years, then why do I need some fund for settlement when I am already settled... And the worst, their is not such a clause saying that applicant needs to maintain that money while the application is in process, I can't find this on their website.

I'm not arguing with you, Parkinson, just have some angry feelings about this stupid policy.
I understand your feelings. It's stupid. You already survived 4 years in Canada and it's noting. The problem is that under this category, there is no difference between someone who applies from within Canada and outside Canada. They don't even give us points for adaptability after living here for such a long time. You are right; they did not mention it in the website and did it intentionally because they want to catch you red handed! We learned it from experience of others. Applicants who applied first in this category did not know and some of them got rejected because of this. They only give you 1 month time for sending POF, so you can not delay it for 6 months. But, don't give up! you don't know...maybe they don't ask you or ask you six months later. About the explanation, I don't know...but if you bought a car, you can include it in your POF. It is your property and is convert able to Money.

SMike

Jun 20, 2012
pyzdfr said:
Thanks for your suggestion. Would you please give me more information about your letter, such as number of hours you reported, and whether you submitted one letter for both RA/TA or two separate letters were submitted?

Thanks
You are welcome. the reported number of hours varied. In the spring/summer I had 40 hrs, otherwise I had between 25 and 35 hours based on whether I took classes or not. I submitted a single letter for both RA and TA.

zhanghaizh007

Mar 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
4012+2133
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
14-05-2014
Med's Request
09-06-2015
Med's Done....
23-06-2015
Passport Req..
06-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2015
LANDED..........
15-10-2015
Who can tell me if I need to ask the department to stamp on the RA letter from professor with the university seal???

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zhanghaizh007 said:
Who can tell me if I need to ask the department to stamp on the RA letter from professor with the university seal???
My RA letter was only signed by my PhD supervisor.