+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

xiongyl

Jan 3, 2014
beh467 said:
Hi

No, it is not necessary. My RA and many of my friends was reported on T4A and we didn't have any problem.
Thank you for your reply. In that case, do I need to offer my T4A form, or it's better to avoid providing it.

:)

climate_modeller

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
21-May-2014
AOR Received.
17-Jun-2013
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
17-Jun-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not necessary
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2014 (CoPR)
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
ubc2010 said:
Hi,
Just a quick question, when we order the GCMS online, which act should we choose?
Thank you
Privacy Act if you reside in Canada, and the Access to Information Act if you do not.

Here's where you get started:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-atip.asp

The online application will ask whether or not you reside in Canada and create your application under the appropriate Act. The Privacy Act is free and the Access to Information Act costs $5. I can verify by personal experience the process through the Privacy Act, but not through the Access to Information Act.

zhengyilove

Oct 17, 2012
Thanks a lot. You suggest that I just need to send my passport to CIC for now (make sure the address on the envelope is correct), right?

And where can I check my address on COPR?

S_Govind said:
The passport will be mailed to the address you write on the 'Xpresspost envelope'. You have to make sure though that the address on your COPR is the same as your current one as your PR card will be mailed to this address.

Edit: When you land at a POE, the officer will ask you for your address. In case the COPR shows the old one, you can ask him to update the address on his system.

zhengyilove

Oct 17, 2012
They want "two (2) PREPAID Canada Post Xpresspost envelopes (National), letter-sized (318 x 241 mm), at any Canada Post retail outlet", and "Complete the mailing label on one envelope showing your mailing address in the “Deliver To” field."

My questions are:

My wife and I applied together, how many envelopes do we need to send, and how many envelopes do we need to complete the mailing label ?

Many thanks again

S_Govind said:
The passport will be mailed to the address you write on the 'Xpresspost envelope'. You have to make sure though that the address on your COPR is the same as your current one as your PR card will be mailed to this address.

Edit: When you land at a POE, the officer will ask you for your address. In case the COPR shows the old one, you can ask him to update the address on his system.

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Immigration: PhD candidates believe they were ‘systematically rejected’ by Canada’s Federal Skilled Worker Program
U of T students say their permanent residency applications under the program were turned down for ambiguous and contradictory reasons.

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/01/06/immigration_phd_candidates_believe_they_were_systematically_rejected_by_canadas_federal_skilled_worker_program.html

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
aalm said:
Immigration: PhD candidates believe they were ‘systematically rejected' by Canada's Federal Skilled Worker Program
U of T students say their permanent residency applications under the program were turned down for ambiguous and contradictory reasons.

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/01/06/immigration_phd_candidates_believe_they_were_systematically_rejected_by_canadas_federal_skilled_worker_program.html
In a "specialized" stream for PhD students, it makes much sense to train the officers that "RA/TAship are pretty much standard and well-defined responsibilities in Canadian universities". There is no need to treat PhD applicants so picky for their RA/TA duties e.g. "assisting" profs! If there was such knowledge among the officers which makes sense for this specialized PhD stream, we would not have seen so high rejection rates and the caused problems. Now they have ended up in a picky marking system that looks for a single unsatisfied word in the reference letters to reject an applicant.

Another easy solution would be listing all duties of a job like a check list, and making the university/company put a tick beside the satisfied duties. This could easily make everything crystal clear. But I do not see the will for this from CIC. Applicants are also afraid to go this way, because they are now trying to read the officers' minds and write what satisfies them!

climate_modeller

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
21-May-2014
AOR Received.
17-Jun-2013
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
17-Jun-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not necessary
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2014 (CoPR)
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
I've noticed that when people sent in medicals, they've sent it just a couple of days after the request.

So, for those who've received a request for medical:

Did you have the medical exam prior to the request in anticipation of the request from Immigration? or
Did you wait until the request to see the doctor?

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
climate_modeller said:
Did you have the medical exam prior to the request in anticipation of the request from Immigration? or
Did you wait until the request to see the doctor?
Most wait for a formal request from the Visa office.

However, you have two options in this regard:

a. Doing an upfront medical examination (UFM) with a designated medical practitioner (list of designated practitioners can be found at the CIC website). Doing an UFM would speed up the process to PPR in case a future eligibility review indicates you have sufficient points and background checks do not throw up anything AND if medical furtherance is not required.

b. Waiting for the visa processing post to request the same. This request comes soon after you pass eligibility and criminality checks and maybe security too. From my GCMS notes, I learn that the officer requested medicals only after criminality was passed and after having made the following note for security: No A 34/35 or 37 concerns.

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
zhengyilove said:
My questions are:

My wife and I applied together, how many envelopes do we need to send, and how many envelopes do we need to complete the mailing label ?

Many thanks again
Two envelopes. On one envelope you complete both the 'From' (your new address) and 'To' fields (CPP Ottawas address) and put in the relevant documents (copy of the letter, two passports, and four photographs-two for you and two for your spouse).

On the second envelope you just complete the 'To' field as above..

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
zhengyilove said:
You suggest that I just need to send my passport to CIC for now (make sure the address on the envelope is correct), right?
Yes

Willbeat

Star Member
Jul 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Other than 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2013
Nomination.....
6-01-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
6-01-2014
Med's Request
10-09-2014
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-10-2014
LANDED..........
28-10-2014
Guys! Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion about how detail the Sydney do eligibility review? Do they try to match lead statmenets and specific duties of NOC and job letters? Well OP6B in the procedure at CIO says

" Applicants who applied under the AEO or PhD stream are determined to meet the MI because they have an offer of arranged employment, or have two years completed towards their PhD and are in good standing or have completed their PhD in the past 12 months. The CIO does not verify that the applicant holds one year of continuous experience in a NOC 0, A or B when making a final MI eligibility determination. As such, for these applications, minimal requirements is assessed after a final eligibility determination has been made at the CIO."

Is that the all CIO sydney does? If so I have seen one case here in this forum who was asked to provide detailed job letters by CIO before PER. And also OP6B under the CIO procedure in section 9.12 about Experienece says

"award points only if the applicant has performed the actions described in the lead statement of the particular NOC description and has performed at least a substantial number of the duties described in the “Main Duties” summary – including all the essential duties (R80(3));.

These shows that CIO reviewsfor both MI final eligibility determination as well as against slection factors including experiences and duties in detail. But still we can see a lot of rejection from ottawa for the lead statement and duties. As long as we submit authentic documents (they may verify the authenticity if they want) should not everyone who got PER also pass eligibility review from visa office? Doesnt that show officers in CIO and visa office have different understanding of eligibility? or didnt I understand their procedure (oP6B) correctly?

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
S_Govind said:

Where does it show the address in CoPR? I don't see any field with the address I submitted with my application (and the one CIC always mentioned in their emails to me). In the "Destination" field, they only mention the city.

yuw25

Feb 19, 2013
You need to buy 2 envelopes.
Envelope 1: write CPPO address in the “Deliver To” field.
Envelope 2: write your own address in the “Deliver To” field.

Put envelope 2, your passport and your wife's passport into envelope 1 and send it to CPPO.

That's all. Good Luck!

zhengyilove said:
They want "two (2) PREPAID Canada Post Xpresspost envelopes (National), letter-sized (318 x 241 mm), at any Canada Post retail outlet", and "Complete the mailing label on one envelope showing your mailing address in the “Deliver To” field."

My questions are:

Many thanks again

yuw25

Feb 19, 2013
Hi all, I finished my immigration journey by landing at Port Prescott yesterday. Today I withdrew my FSW-PhD application. I would like to thank you all for the useful information, especially for the samples of work experience reference letters. Wish you all good luck!

Here is complete timeline for my CEC application:

Application received at CIO: 4-Jan-2013
Got File Number: 14-Feb-2013
Medical Request: 04-Nov-2013
Medical Sent: 25-Nov-2013
Medical Received: 16-Dec-2013
Decision Made: 19-Dec-2013
Passport Request:20-Dec-2013
Passport Sent: 21-Dec-2013
Passport back with immigration visa: 07-Jan-2014
Landed: 11-Jan-2014 @ Prescott Port.

Special notice to Quebec applicants: for landing, do NOT go to Quebec border or Port Cornwall. They will ask for CSQ which we obviously don't have. Then they will refuse to complete the landing process and ask you come next time with a CSQ. Some people tried to land at Rainbow Bridge. and I tried at Prescott Port, we didn't have the CSQ issue.

MarMar20

Jul 5, 2012
Hi aalm,

One of my friends has sent her documents to Sydney on November 12, 2013. She is still waiting for the response from CIC, but she has heard from others some applicants have rejected with the reason of non originality of the attestation letter. She is worry about this because the person has rejected is from the same university and she had the same sealed attestation letter. But she is thinking it might be because of the stamp on the letter that is not a letter with embossed stamp. I just wanna know about your attestation letter, since you could get PER from Sydney. Do you think there is a way to add any documents before having file number?

Thank you.
Maryam

aalm said:
Strange! When did you apply? From where was it returned? Sydney or Ottawa?