+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
pg123 said:
I don't think that PhD students are bad at condensing the application and supporting documents. First of all, Canada's source of revenue is its natural resources. Obviously, they need more engineers, managers (marketing also) and trade workers. To keep the population healthy, it needs some doctors, medicos and nurses etc... Canada wants to relay on these resources but not interested to accommodate science and technology. This is what makes PhDs misfit to the current canadian society. I totally believe that TA and RA are also jobs and these duties demand considerable amount of skills. I know many "real" job holder do nothing better than TAs and RAs. It is CIC, which is making this complicated. They know how to make money.
"They know how to make money."
I totally agree. They opened this stream just to get money. I applied under this stream with (3 years work ex as RA/TA) and 8 years work experience as Engineering Manager. The rejection was based on the word assist (for the RA/TA) and the lead statement of the Engineering Manager ex.
Well, let us say that they want skilled guys, then they should verify the included work experience letter or ask more details about it before they reject one's application. In my opinion, they are looking for a reason to reject your application and they are not looking for skilled applicants.

If everything is perfect, and their acceptance threshold is exceeded, they will modify the rules or add/delete the ones that make such application under this stream "looks simple" to encourage us but at the same time there is some hidden things which they now but we don't know till an applicant share his experience with them.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
To be fair, both sides have had bugs.

For CIC, we have seen many cases of unfairness:
1. Rejection of some reference letters just because of that golden "assist" word, while a kid can realize the ACT of assisting by reading the letters... I think we had many cases like this...
2. Adaptability points awarded by Syndey, denied by CPP-O, while credit cards were charged!
many other cases I can tell...

I am also sure that many applicants were fairly rejected, and most of them accept their faults.

But what caused this high rejection rate, and who is guilty, I think there was a sudden change in the CIC's level of strictness, especially for the PhD stream. It's good to be strict but only and only if you are so to all applicants, and also not to overdose it.
I clearly remember my friends who applied before 2010 to Buffalo. They got their PR much easier than us. I can even remember a case where Buffalo asked my friend to provide additional documents to increase his score and save his application. They used to keep communicating with the applicant and be nice as long as the rules allow. We know that Ottawa rejected many of us (including me) after one year, without even giving a last minute notice. You may say they are too busy, it's not their duty, blah blah, but I think their too-strict-policy and the crowd caused by the appeals from applicants, etc. have created more trouble for them, unless they want to make more money (which I don't admit)!

I agree that many applicants submitted deficient applications, but I do agree with many times said that: relative to the past and relative to other programs, "they do their best to reject people".

zoubin

Jul 3, 2012
Hello to All, I just got my PR today and want to share my timeline with you guys.

1. CIC received my application on Jan 24, 2013.

2. CIC cashed me on Feb 25, 2013.
Eligiblibity passed and my application was forwarded to Visa office in Beijing.

3. Visa officer was assigned on May 21, 2013.

4. They started to process my application on June 6, 2013.

5. RPRF, Medical report and Passport requested on September 18, 2013.

6. Further medical information requested (roughly late October)

7. Online payment for RPRF was not accepted by Embassy in Beijing. Cheque/money draft requested on November 21, 2013.

8. Decision made on December 23, 2013.

9. Passport mailed on January 5, 2014 and I received the parcel on January 9, 2014.

Even with the delay of further medical request and RPRF recall, I am still luck enough to get everything done so quickly.
So wish all you guys are lucky as well in 2014.

zoubin

Jul 3, 2012
A little more information regarding my application.

One applicant, single, 2 yrs work experience (TA/RA)

Don't know what to add here...

What I basically did was provide all the materials according to the checklist.
Nothing more, nothing less.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
zoubin said:
5. RPRF, Medical report and Passport requested on September 18, 2013.
Did they request the medicals and the passport in the same date?

zhengyilove

Oct 17, 2012
Thanks for your advise. I updated my address in "e cas" a long time ago. However, in their corresponding emails, they always used the old address. You mean they just did not change my address in the emails, but they have updated my address?

aidina said:
The 2nd time I updated my personal information, they did not confirm, but put it in my CAIPS. Do not worry. When sending your passports, write a short letter, and let them know about your new address again. BTW, you can go on-line and update your address in E-cas. YOu do not need to send them e-mail. If worried, you can try it as well.

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
zhengyilove said:
Thanks for your advise. I updated my address in "e cas" a long time ago. However, in their corresponding emails, they always used the old address.
The passport will be mailed to the address you write on the 'Xpresspost envelope'. You have to make sure though that the address on your COPR is the same as your current one as your PR card will be mailed to this address.

Edit: When you land at a POE, the officer will ask you for your address. In case the COPR shows the old one, you can ask him to update the address on his system.

zoubin

Jul 3, 2012
Life Of Pie said:
My ECAS is showing "Decision Made" today. Have not received any e-mail yet.
I experienced the same situation.
If you have already sent your passport, it's very likely that you are gonna to get an express parcel from your Visa office.

Life Of Pie

Dec 5, 2012
zoubin said:
I experienced the same situation.
If you have already sent your passport, it's very likely that you are gonna to get an express parcel from your Visa office.
I have not sent my passport yet. Waiting for Passport Request email. They received my medial on 3rd Jan.

zoubin

Jul 3, 2012
Life Of Pie said:
I have not sent my passport yet. Waiting for Passport Request email. They received my medial on 3rd Jan.
While then our cases are different. I got all requests at the same time for med, PRPR and passport.

player035

Feb 25, 2013
Can anyone help me with this issue?

I got my package returned. A letter attached said that my letter from the university for the 2y phd study is not original. But actually it is, with all the requirements satisfied (template, signature and official stamp). It can be identified by the place where the stamp is on the back.

Now I am totally confused ...

Anybody met with the same issue?

mapleisland

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Stuck In Quebec said:
No as I updated them with supporting documents mentioned in my earlier post proactively, maybe thats why, else I don't see any reason why.
Thanks, could you please clarify which supporting documents you meant, sorry, I missed your earlier post.