Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Houra

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gleb said:
Hi forum members,

I saw the topic of getting a TRV visa was touched on this thread but I didn't find the answer.
Does anybody try to get a TRV while waiting for a PR under PhD stream?
I have some conferences outside Canada an the US upcoming and my TRV gets expired soon.

Thank you,
You don't need a TRV if you are only traveling to the US. As long as your study permit is still valid, that is sufficient.

Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, Section 190 states:

(3) A foreign national does not require a temporary resident visa if they are seeking to enter and remain in Canada solely
(f) to re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, if they:

(i) held a study permit or a work permit that was issued before they left Canada on such a visit or were authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a temporary resident, and

(ii) return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it.

Feb2004

Feb 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa (OPNP)
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-8-2014
Nomination.....
11-8-2014
AOR Received.
29-10-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
1-12-2014
Interview........
PCC & RPRF 21-5-2015 (in process);PCC reached 4th June, RPRF paid 5th June.
Passport Req..
DM & PPR 13 Aug
VISA ISSUED...
20 Aug 2015. PP & COPR recd 26-8-2015
LANDED..........
6 Sept 2015
Houra said:
You don't need a TRV if you are only traveling to the US. As long as your study permit is still valid, that is sufficient.

Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, Section 190 states:

(3) A foreign national does not require a temporary resident visa if they are seeking to enter and remain in Canada solely
(f) to re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, if they:

(i) held a study permit or a work permit that was issued before they left Canada on such a visit or were authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a temporary resident, and

(ii) return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it.
So one doesn't need a visa for transit through US on study permit also?

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Feb2004 said:
You don't need a visa to re-enter Canada only if you made a trip to the US and are returning back to Canada and have a valid study permit. If the US is just an intermediate stop to your final destination or on your way back, you will need a TRV to enter Canada. Of course, you will definitely need a US visa to enter the US (unless you are from one of the countries listed in the US visa waiver program).

Feb2004

Feb 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa (OPNP)
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-8-2014
Nomination.....
11-8-2014
AOR Received.
29-10-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
1-12-2014
Interview........
PCC & RPRF 21-5-2015 (in process);PCC reached 4th June, RPRF paid 5th June.
Passport Req..
DM & PPR 13 Aug
VISA ISSUED...
20 Aug 2015. PP & COPR recd 26-8-2015
LANDED..........
6 Sept 2015
informer2000 said:
You don't need a visa to re-enter Canada only if you made a trip to the US and are returning back to Canada and have a valid study permit. If the US is just an intermediate stop to your final destination or on your way back, you will need a TRV to enter Canada. Of course, you will definitely need a US visa to enter the US (unless you are from one of the countries listed in the US visa waiver program).
What I meant is that with a valid study permit and a TRV of Canada, if I have to travel through US to my home country, will I need a US visa. All the cheap flights go through US, so was considering a few options for Dec break.

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Feb2004 said:
What I meant is that with a valid study permit and a TRV of Canada, if I have to travel through US to my home country, will I need a US visa. All the cheap flights go through US, so was considering a few options for Dec break.
"Anyone arriving into the United States or one of its territories (like Puerto Rico) — and not covered by the Visa Waiver Program or the separate provision for citizens of Canada & Bermuda — requires at least a C-1 transit visa to transit the airport. This can be expensive (US$131 minimum) and time-consuming to obtain, and you can be denied the visa: the requirements are the same as the full B-2 tourist visa. If you arrive without this visa, even for a fuel stop or transit, and aren't eligible for a waiver, you will be sent home and recorded as having been denied entry to the US."

Source:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Avoiding_a_transit_of_the_United_States

You can also check:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_4383.html

Houra

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Feb2004 said:
This rule applies if you are "solely" traveling to the US. I just came back from a conference in the US, without a TRV, and the Canadian border officer asked for my trip itinerary to make sure I only traveled to the US.

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
phdsocialwork said:
Aidina, could it depend on where you live or time difference? Maybe they are working 24 hours for us :)
There is only 1 hr difference between Ottawa and where I am living.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
S_Govind said:
I just got a confirmation from CPP-O that my supplemental reference letter emailed on July 15th has been attached to my file. I had sent them a case specific inquiry yesterday. The email was from NN05116. Note that on an earlier occasion RK.... had refused to confirm the receipt of documents since they were sent voluntarily .

I know that N_O got the same reply when he tried contacting Ottawa regarding his supplemental letter. It would be beneficial if you could send them an inquiry again. Draft a new email and do not reply to an earlier one you got from them. My sense is that the response you get is a function of the mood/workload of the VO..lol
I'll try to ask them again! However, I ordered a 3rd set of GCMS notes on July 23rd to see whether the attached it or not.
BTW, what is the case specific inquiry under the privacy act?
Thanks!