26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
hooman2012 said:
My RA is non-taxable (several other members here, I believe, have gotten their non-taxable RA experience accepted as well). In fact, I think a lot of Canadian PhD students are receiving non-taxable RA-funding. I could still see my RA funding on my T4A forms though, and I'm including these forms with my application as well.

hooman2012

Nov 12, 2012
asbereth said:
My RA is non-taxable (several other members here, I believe, have gotten their non-taxable RA experience accepted as well). In fact, I think a lot of Canadian PhD students are receiving non-taxable RA-funding. I could still see my RA funding on my T4A forms though, and I'm including these forms with my application as well.
I can see my RA funding in my T4A but not in tax return and I would NOT including T4A forms with my application, BECAUSE THIS IS NOT THE REQUIREMENT, AND THE CAN NOT REJECT YOU BECAUSE OF SOMETHING THAT IS NOT REQUIREMENT. IF THEY WANT IT THEY MUST ASK FOR IT. THEY CAN NOT REJECT YOU FOR THAT.

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
hooman2012 said:
I can see my RA funding in my T4A but not in tax return and I would NOT including T4A forms with my application, BECAUSE THIS IS NOT THE REQUIREMENT, AND THE CAN NOT REJECT YOU BECAUSE OF SOMETHING THAT IS NOT REQUIREMENT. IF THEY WANT IT THEY MUST ASK FOR IT. THEY CAN NOT REJECT YOU FOR THAT.
CIC recommends T4 and T4A forms (among other things) to be submitted as proof. In this situation that people are being rejected left and right for BS reasons, I would not hesitate including them. If you don't like doing this (for any reason), I would include some other supporting document.

By the way, using capital letters and repeating yourself does not make your argument stronger. asbereth is not a CIC officer and is doing his/her best to help people around here.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
sia_kb8 said:
CIC recommends T4 and T4A forms (among other things) to be submitted as proof. In this situation that people are being rejected left and right for BS reasons, I would not hesitate including them. If you don't like doing this (for any reason), I would include some other supporting document.
The reason why I included T4A forms with my application (it was missing 2011 T4 and T4A forms since I did not get them yet when I submitted my application) was because that was the only proof of income that I had, and it was recommended by Moira Escott from the Detroit visa office. She attended my school last year, and a lot of students were wondering whether non-taxable RA incomes would be accepted. To paraphrase her reply

Students must provide the T4 (employment income) T4As (Scholarship income) and a detailed letter from their department or advisor detailing that the student has been remunerated for teaching/research conducted, responsibilities of the teaching/research, estimated hours per week the student performs this function, dates for which the remuneration (pay) covers and the dates the student conducted the teaching/research. The amount of financial support (e.g. 37.5 hours per week) should support the amount being paid for that period. For instance, if remuneration was well below the minimum wage the Visa Officer would have concerns.
This was also the reason why I did not claim 37.5 hours per week, since my hourly wage would've been much lower than the average for NOC 4012 (which was about 20 dollars per hour; not sure how I got that number from).

I still don't think that T4 and T4A are requirements (hooman2012 did not include his T4A, and his RA work experience was still accepted [though he still ended up getting rejected]), though I don't think it's going to hurt to include them (provided they're not contradictory to any info provided by your supervisor).

hooman2012

Nov 12, 2012
sia_kb8 said:

By the way, using capital letters and repeating yourself does not make your argument stronger. asbereth is not a CIC officer and is doing his/her best to help people around here.

What do you mean by that dude? Asbereth is my friend and I have no problem with him. I am using capital letters not to make my argument stronger just to bring attention. That's it and if you think that I am trying to argue, well you are wrong. And I am not talking about bank statement, we are talking about work experience letter. yes, for bank statement you may need to include other supporting documents, but for work experiene letter, I do not think you need to include T4A or T4.

Nadees

May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2013
Med's Done....
15-08-2014
Passport Req..
28-09-2014
PhD Stream Vs. Canadian Experience Class

Dear All,

The purpose of this message is twofold: (i) to share the story of how my FSW application in PhD stream got rejected, and (ii) to seek your advice regarding Canadian Experience Class (CEC) applications. I have already posted today a query regrading the first part, titled "Phd stream - Skilled Worker Application Refused". Please take look for the analyses of this refusal.

Let's come to part (ii). I have just recently defended my PhD thesis and, during the last three years, have accumulated paid TA/RA experience of more than one year (at least 2000 hours). I have searched through many previous posts on this topic and they seem to indicate that I am eligible to apply using "4012 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants" under CEC. Although, I can reapply in the PhD stream, I am finding the CEC option quite attractive [given that I already have a refusal in pocket :(]. Do you guys think that the CIC option is viable for me? I looking forward to your help and advice.

-Nadees

Science_Tech

May 17, 2013
Science_Tech said:
Thanks a lot kaziahmmed ,

I would appreciate it if you could send me further details on your friend's case. Another concern I have is that my partner lives in another country. Do we need to send all the correspondences to CPP-Ottawa? For example, what happens if we update them with our marriage and receive passport request? In thins case, does she send her passport to Ottawa or to her own visa office?
The concern I have is that my partner lives in another country. Do we need to send all the correspondences to CPP-Ottawa? For example, what happens if we update them with our marriage and receive passport request? In thins case, does she send her passport to Ottawa or to her own visa office?

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
hooman2012 said:
What do you mean by that dude? Asbereth is my friend and I have no problem with him. I am using capital letters not to make my argument stronger just to bring attention. That's it and if you think that I am trying to argue, well you are wrong. And I am not talking about bank statement, we are talking about work experience letter. yes, for bank statement you may need to include other supporting documents, but for work experiene letter, I do not think you need to include T4A or T4.
Well, the checklist did mention that T4s are to be included if available. I'm not sure about T4As, but I think one should always include them when available as proof of Canadian incomes (taxable or non-taxable).

If you and/or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner have engaged in full-time work in Canada, with appropriate authorization, for a period of at least one year in the past 10 years, provide:
• letter(s) of reference (as per requirements stated above) from your past Canadian employer(s),
• a copy of any T4s if available,
• a copy of the employment authorization
I mean, in what way, really that it can harm. Yes it does prove that your RA income is not taxable, but as aidina said, there is never the requirement for an income to be taxable. If you really got paid to be doing research (say, if the scholarship or funding is dispersed to remunerate your research activities), I don't see why this would be a problem?

Nadees said:
Let's come to part (ii). I have just recently defended my PhD thesis and, during the last three years, have accumulated paid TA/RA experience of more than one year (at least 2000 hours). I have searched through many previous posts on this topic and they seem to indicate that I am eligible to apply using "4012 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants" under CEC. Although, I can reapply in the PhD stream, I am finding the CEC option quite attractive [given that I already have a refusal in pocket :(]. Do you guys think that the CIC option is viable for me? I looking forward to your help and advice.
CEC is always a much better stream compared to FSWP. Unfortunately, there has been a stipulation that a work experience gained while engaging in full-time study in Canada won't be accepted for CEC. Now, some people have tried to argue that "full-time" study means 15 hours of instruction per week, so if you're not taking any courses, being a full-time student does not mean engaging in full-time study, but this is still a risky thing to do (noc4012 can elaborate on this), and we can't tell whether CIC will buy this argument or not. There has been a thread that discussed precisely this issue a while ago. Check it out if you have time

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/any-rata-got-a-decision-toward-the-canadian-experience-class-noc-4012-t141384.0.html;msg2246508#msg2246508

Do you have enough money to satisfy the settlement funding requirements? If so, I would say apply under FSWP now (and if after one year of doing a Canadian job, you have not gotten medical yet, then apply under CEC to have both applications processed in parallel). Since you already got your PhD (and since it's a Canadian degree), you will have a really easy time getting above 67 points.

You will get 25 points for your Canadian doctorate (and you don't even need this to be assessed since it's already a Canadian credential). You will definitely get the five adaptability points for previous study. That's already 30 points. Assuming you have at least 16 points for language (I'm sure you are above this), and 12 points for age (if you're under 34), then all you need is just continuous 1,560 hours of work experience within the last 10 years to get 67 points. The main challenge is to document work experience (LEADING STATEMENT + JOB DESCRIPTIONS matching what's on the website).

Science_Tech said:
The concern I have is that my partner lives in another country. Do we need to send all the correspondences to CPP-Ottawa? For example, what happens if we update them with our marriage and receive passport request? In thins case, does she send her passport to Ottawa or to her own visa office?
During passport request, Ottawa would once again ask you if the composition of your family has changed since application submission, and if so, you are to notify them as soon as possible.

One of my friends (his wife is currently not in Canada) recently got married. He already did his medical request, and is still awaiting for PPR. He notified Ottawa, and two or three weeks later they sent him a request for his wife's medical and PCC, and also their marriage certificate. He's still in the process of obtaining these documents for his wife, and it would be interesting where Ottawa would ask for their passports to be submitted (some countries do not allow their passports to be sent outside of any international border, so it would be interesting how Ottawa would accommodate this).

Science_Tech

May 17, 2013
asbereth said:
During passport request, Ottawa would once again ask you if the composition of your family has changed since application submission, and if so, you are to notify them as soon as possible.

One of my friends (his wife is currently not in Canada) recently got married. He already did his medical request, and is still awaiting for PPR. He notified Ottawa, and two or three weeks later they sent him a request for his wife's medical and PCC, and also their marriage certificate. He's still in the process of obtaining these documents for his wife, and it would be interesting where Ottawa would ask for their passports to be submitted (some countries do not allow their passports to be sent outside of any international border, so it would be interesting how Ottawa would accommodate this).
Thanks a lot asbereth,

When notifying them, do I send them updated documents including new banks statement for two people (around 13 k)? How about new six-month activity? Is it easier (better) to update them with marriage before my medical request or after it?

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Science_Tech said:
Thanks a lot asbereth,

When notifying them, do I send them updated documents including new banks statement for two people (around 13 k)? How about new six-month activity? Is it easier (better) to update them with marriage before my medical request or after it?
Are you guys married already? As kaziahmmed said, if you get your PR before marriage, then you will have to sponsor your wife, and it may take more than a year.

Not only that, I think your wife would then be subject to two-year conditional PR (I haven't looked too much into this). If you include your wife right now, then your PR will get delayed (they need to check admissibilities for your wife), but IMO it's better than having to wait one year for sponsorship (during which your wife will have a hard time getting a student visa; since you applied on June 2012, you will get your PR long before September 2014 [maybe by October 2013 if all goes smoothly]), then two-year conditional PR.

About six months activities, would it be hard to show a bank statement history (under your and/or your wife's name) with healthy balance (13.5k+) for the past six months? If easy, then it's probably not a bad idea to show it to them pro-actively. Since you have not gotten MR yet, if you update now, I'm assuming you two will get medical request together. In the end, they will have to eventually perform admissibility check on your wife, may as well notify them now rather than later (again, just my opinion, which is not an expert's opinion).

Nadees

May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2013
Med's Done....
15-08-2014
Passport Req..
28-09-2014
Hi asbereth, I have glanced through the post you mentioned. Also, as you've indicated, it does appear that CIC wont accept the TA/RA as work experience for CEC as per new rule. So, the most secure option for me is to revisit the PhD stream. Let's see how it goes this time :)

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Science_Tech said:
You have to do all of your corresponds with the PA preferred visa office. My wife is also in my home country but when they have asked my wife PCC i asked her to send me and then I sent to the VO office. So any relevent documents suppose to send in Principal Applicants (PA) preferred visa office, if it is you and you have chosen CPPP-O. Then you have submit everything to this office. Hope this will helps.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Science_Tech said:
Thanks a lot asbereth,

As I promised you, I will inform you about my friend story, here it is :
My friend has applied for PR and during the processing he got married. His wife was living in his home country during the process. They got the medical request together and once they have done, my friend was asked by the VO to send the passport(S) to the VO. My friend then brought (through one of his another friend by an authorization letter) his wife passport and send their passports together to the VO. He mentioned me on that time (2011) no courier service was taking his wife passport without ministerial authorization but if you are lucky and somebody is heading to Canada you can send through him with a written authorization letter of passport holder by explaining the purpose why he/she is carrying your passport.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
asbereth said:
Well, the checklist did mention that T4s are to be included if available. I'm not sure about T4As, but I think one should always include them when available as proof of Canadian incomes (taxable or non-taxable).

I mean, in what way, really that it can harm. Yes it does prove that your RA income is not taxable, but as aidina said, there is never the requirement for an income to be taxable. If you really got paid to be doing research (say, if the scholarship or funding is dispersed to remunerate your research activities), I don't see why this would be a problem?

CEC is always a much better stream compared to FSWP. Unfortunately, there has been a stipulation that a work experience gained while engaging in full-time study in Canada won't be accepted for CEC. Now, some people have tried to argue that "full-time" study means 15 hours of instruction per week, so if you're not taking any courses, being a full-time student does not mean engaging in full-time study, but this is still a risky thing to do (noc4012 can elaborate on this), and we can't tell whether CIC will buy this argument or not. There has been a thread that discussed precisely this issue a while ago. Check it out if you have time

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/any-rata-got-a-decision-toward-the-canadian-experience-class-noc-4012-t141384.0.html;msg2246508#msg2246508

Do you have enough money to satisfy the settlement funding requirements? If so, I would say apply under FSWP now (and if after one year of doing a Canadian job, you have not gotten medical yet, then apply under CEC to have both applications processed in parallel). Since you already got your PhD (and since it's a Canadian degree), you will have a really easy time getting above 67 points.

You will get 25 points for your Canadian doctorate (and you don't even need this to be assessed since it's already a Canadian credential). You will definitely get the five adaptability points for previous study. That's already 30 points. Assuming you have at least 16 points for language (I'm sure you are above this), and 12 points for age (if you're under 34), then all you need is just continuous 1,560 hours of work experience within the last 10 years to get 67 points. The main challenge is to document work experience (LEADING STATEMENT + JOB DESCRIPTIONS matching what's on the website).

So kind of you for spending your time still with us. Couldn't stop myself to increase your rating ;))

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
I was reading this whole discussion regarding whether you should include T4As, tax assessments and so on....
At the end of the day, it is upto you....but i personally think you should include T4As and not tax assessments...tax assessment forms only indicate your net taxable income and it doesn't add anything to your case...you want to show proof of your taxable income (T4) and non-taxable income T4A...it also says on the CIC website to include paystubs and T4s wherever you can!...and since T4A is something relevant mainly to us RAs, i think it's best to include them....i also included RA/TA contract letters. it doesn't say much just that you have been offered XXXamount as Research assistantship and XXamount as Teaching assistantship for so and so term..but in the letter, it mentions that your RA duties will be assigned by your supervisor to which you are responsible since this money comes from his grant...i think this letter fits well with your supervisor's letter which will detail the duties you performed as a RA..
and like asbereth wrote the CIC officer that came to our school last year clearly said that all you need to have is be remunerated for your job...doesn't mean it has to be taxable!...and she clearly indicated to include all T4s and T4As to prove your case....

afterall, if you think about it, it's human beings like us who assess our files...so there is always a subjective component in this assessment...they look at your whole application and will create an image/impression of your application in their minds...in such a scenario, if i were them, i would definitely give more weightage to a person who took the pains to prove their case by adding all supporting documents than to a person who left it at a single reference letter....and we all know, all the problems these reference letters have been causing!...

Additionally if you check the forum you can see that most of the people who did get MRs and PPRs did include whatever they could...

but then as i mentioned earlier, it's upto you...we are all just trying to help others out!...if you personally think you don't have to, just don't do it!