15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Anna2013 said:
As a university instructor, her main duties and responsibilities during her employment included:

1- Preparing and delivering the lecture materials (according to the curriculum determined by the Faculty and approved by senate to the satisfaction of the Dean ) to the students and conducting group works or activities,
2- Designing and preparing the assignments, term tests and final examinations,
3- Preparing and posting the solutions to the assignments and tests,
4- Advising the students enrolled in the courses and keeping scheduled office hours for the students seeking extra help,
5- Giving academic advise to a group of first year students on their academic decisions,
6- Administrating the term tests or final examinations,
7- Giving the students appropriate feedbacks and guidelines, marking term tests and final examinations and,
8- Compiling and submitting the students' final grades.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further information.
Which NOC code did you choose to describe your job duties listed above?. Was it 4011?

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4011

If this were the case, you are missing a substantial number of duties (75% or more under a NOC) as well as the essential duties (lead statement).

Did you not claim RA/TA experience from your time as a graduate student?

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
S_Govind said:
Which NOC code did you choose to describe your job duties listed above?. Was it 4011?

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4011

If this were the case, you are missing a substantial number of duties (75% or more under a NOC) as well as the essential duties (lead statement).

Did you not claim RA/TA experience from your time as a graduate student?
I do not believe that. What else university lecturer/Instructor do? Lecturers are hired basically to deliver courses (there was one clause before under the NOC code at that time saying the same thing: lecturer are hired to teach a few courses at universities--it is not there anymore but I swear it was there). I cannot claim that I was involved in research or guide research while I was performing "that job".

I did claim TA but it was very little, and no RA as my dept doesn't give such a thing. RA is thesis.

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Anna2013 said:
I do not believe that. What else university lecturer/Instructor do? Lecturers are hired basically to deliver courses (there was one clause before under the NOC code at that time saying the same thing: lecturer are hired to teach a few courses at universities--it is not there anymore but I swear it was there). I cannot claim that I was involved in research or guide research while I was performing "that job".

I did claim TA but it was very little, and no RA as my dept doesn't give such a thing. RA is thesis.
Ask your supervisor to write the RA letter. I got from mine too bypassing the graduate secretary, until it has the designation, contact info and stamp/seal of the supervisor on official letterhead. You can claim all the time spent as RA in thesis tenure. Just a thought. It won't hurt.

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Anna2013 said:
I do not believe that. What else university lecturer/Instructor do? Lecturers are hired basically to deliver courses (there was one clause before under the NOC code at that time saying the same thing: lecturer are hired teach a few courses at universities--it is not there anymore but I swear it was there). I cannot claim that I was involved in research or guide research while I was performing "that job".

I fully understand where you are coming from. However, the folks at CIC are pedantic at the best and go by the rule book and NOC- this is their holy grail when it comes to evaluating experience letters. It would not surprise me if they actually count how many duties match against the NOC that an applicant selected. Sad but true to the extent we know

In fact the lead statement is 'University professors and lecturers teach courses to undergraduate and graduate students and conduct research at universities.'

I think the vital part for you would have been to de-convolute the research and teaching part wile at the same time showing that you have performed a substantial number of duties

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
hegel said:
Hi all,

Just wanted to join the list.

PhD student in Quebec. Applied for CSQ, app submitted 21st Nov - full package inc. IELTS, TEFAQ etc. No AOR or credit card payment yet.

Cheers!
Bienvenue a bord. I don't know how much we would be helpful to you in your case as this a federal stream discussion forum. Also do follow the CSQ forum (if there's one) as it will help you a lot too. Besides the stream has diff timelines once CSQ and if CSQ is issued because of Quebec-Canada accord.

Bon Chance.

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
S_Govind said:
I fully understand where you are coming from. However, the folks at CIC are pedantic at the best and go by the rule book and NOC- this is their holy grail when it comes to evaluating experience letters. It would not surprise me if they actually count how many duties match against the NOC that an applicant selected. Sad but true to the extent we know

In fact the lead statement is 'University professors and lecturers teach courses to undergraduate and graduate students and conduct research at universities.'

I think the vital part for you would have been to de-convolute the research and teaching part wile at the same time showing that you have performed a substantial number of duties
I would second that. In my profession, its shameful to mention what's asked in the NOC point wise as they are but obvious and you have to perform those duties. So based on that logic I submitted the one I had with the lead statement. But GCMS reflected what Govind stated, the same 75% of the duties not done. I had to update them and that made my referees very amused when I asked them for a new one with the format I sent them. But had to do it.

See what you can do without misrepresenting yourself as that would be a bigger mess. Just another thought.

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Stuck In Quebec said:
I would second that. In my profession, its shameful to mention what's asked in the NOC point wise as they are but obvious and you have to perform those duties. So based on that logic I submitted the one I had with the lead statement. But GCMS reflected what Govind stated, the same 75% of the duties not done. I had to update them and that made my referees very amused when I asked them for a new one with the format I sent them. But had to do it.

See what you can do without misrepresenting yourself as that would be a bigger mess. Just another thought.
"University professors and lecturers perform some or all of the following duties". What does some mean? Does some mean 75%?

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Anna2013 said:

I believe that your letter covered the first 4 duties as an instructor, so 4/6 as the last 3 duties are optional. However, they seem counted them as a must, so you achieved 4/9 which is less than 75%!
No one can guess what they want to be written in those reference letter!

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
N_O said:
I believe that your letter covered the first 4 duties as an instructor, so 4/6 as the last 3 duties are optional. However, they seem counted them as a must, so you achieved 4/9 which is less than 75%!
No one can guess what they want to be written in those reference letter!
True that. Better safe than sorry, just dont misrepresent.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
S_Govind said:

But she had this as the leading statement "she has taught the following five undergraduate courses in XXX subjects to our undergraduate students". I know that there is nothing about research, but she was hired as a part-time instructor which means she is not required to do that!

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
N_O said:
But she had this as the leading statement "she has taught the following five undergraduate courses in XXX subjects to our undergraduate students". I know that there is nothing about research, but she was hired as a part-time instructor which means she is not required to do that!
Agreed, it a grey area now and depends on how the officer interpretes. I was looking at my GCMS notes and the officer initially said 1 out of 14 stipulated duties in relevant NOC code performed, so no work experience. Thenceforth, I updated the letter to have more than 75% of duties covered. which I actually did perform but was not mentioned in a straightforward way.

This is a trick situation and dont know how it will be read by the office.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Stuck In Quebec said:
Agreed, it a grey area now and depends on how the officer interpretes. I was looking at my GCMS notes and the officer initially said 1 out of 14 stipulated duties in relevant NOC code performed, so no work experience. Thenceforth, I updated the letter to have more than 75% of duties covered. which I actually did perform but was not mentioned in a straightforward way.

This is a trick situation and dont know how it will be read by the office.
What NOC code was that?

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
S_Govind said:

I also understand you. I have been following immigration for a few years now, I know all about book and stuff.

I was instructor at Canadian institute and my job was "lecturing". Now you tell me as an academic person, do the instructors do research or guide graduate students? My job appointment says that "this job is solely to teach courses XXX and you are not obligated to do research". Now you tell me, how can I get a letter to say that I did research?

Also, there was a clause before under the NOC code, it wa confirming that lecturers are hired to teach courses at universities.

Also, under the NOC code, right before duties it says:

"Main duties

University professors and lecturers perform "some" or all of the following duties:"

You tell me, what does "some" mean?

I think people in this forum are being unreasonable and defending CIC.

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Stuck In Quebec said:
Ask your supervisor to write the RA letter. I got from mine too bypassing the graduate secretary, until it has the designation, contact info and stamp/seal of the supervisor on official letterhead. You can claim all the time spent as RA in thesis tenure. Just a thought. It won't hurt.
I am no more eligible for PhD category besides my supervisor doesn't give me such a thing and I won't ask him to do so. This is not in the norm of the department I studied and I won't ask him to do something like that. I am eligible for nothing at this time, and even when I get eligible for CEC in the future, my job letters are not going to get any better.

I have a similar story with my jobs as a Postdoc. I just didn't bother to explain that here. My postdoc is a reverse thing: it requires me to do research but has nothing to do with teaching.