none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
jjww said:
Hi Mapledream, thanks for the information you shared with us. There is one thing I want to clarify with you and other PhD friends. When you claimed your adaptability points, did you click YES or NO on the Schedule 3 (IMM0008-3e) form for claiming 5 points of 7.study in Canada. This is a very confused sentence, it seems we should complete a two-year program in order to get 5 points, so many PhD applicants might click NO but according to the new 7000 guide (updated December 2011), it can be read as once we studied two years we should get these 5 points. However, many applicants submitted the applications before the updated version and said No to this questions. So what I am thinking is, even if we are eligible to get these 5 points for studying in Canada but if we clicked NO on this question and signed below, namely, we want to give up the chance to get 5 points. I am sure not whether my guessing is right. Is there anybody who clicked NO and got NER without adaptability points of studying in Canada. Thank you very much for everyone to share the information and make this question clear.
JJWW, I agree with you. That's a confusing part. I was wondering if it is either
1) Completed any canadian education of at least 2 years (e.g. degree/masters/ others)

or

2) Could it apply to us who came for PhD but did our masters and degree in other country - such that we have already completed 2 years of our Canadian PhD but haven't gotten our PhD yet?

Could anyone help clarify this.

Anyhow, its a bit too late for me as I answered yes even though I am actually more of (2).
But overall, I still have score over 67pts which I hope if the answer is (1), then its just a slap on the wrist for me and they'll move on without returning my app.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
30pixie said:
Thanks Asbereth! Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed, hope all of us get AOR soon :)
Ya, I'm getting really anxious too. Apparently, the 25 months processing time was counted only after the VO AOR was issued, and not from the time PER was issued :(

websphereguy said:
Anyhow, its a bit too late for me as I answered yes even though I am actually more of (2).
But overall, I still have score over 67pts which I hope if the answer is (1), then its just a slap on the wrist for me and they'll move on without returning my app.
Hi websphereguy, if you get 67 points or above without the adaptability points, then I don't think it would be a problem. I really do think now that you do need to have completed a program of at least two years duration to claim the adaptability points, which would be a bummer for a lot of people I guess (since you would now need at least two years of full-time work experience to get 67 points or above). Another way would be to learn French, and get at least 2 points from the second official language, which would bring the total number of points to 68 (assuming 1 year of work experience, 17 years of education, a Master's degree, below 35 years of age and zero adaptability).

jjww said:
So what I am thinking is, even if we are eligible to get these 5 points for studying in Canada but if we clicked NO on this question and signed below, namely, we want to give up the chance to get 5 points. I am sure not whether my guessing is right. Is there anybody who clicked NO and got NER without adaptability points of studying in Canada. Thank you very much for everyone to share the information and make this question clear.
I don't think it matters really whether you choose 'yes' for question 7 on schedule 3. The fact that you have to be enrolled in a Canadian PhD program to be eligible should automatically award these five points if they were really meant to be given for anyone who has only studied for two years or more. In the two NER (MapleDream and s.guo82) cases due to insufficient points we have so far, both cases are missing precisely these adaptability points, because they haven't completed any Canadian post-secondary programs.

I'm not sure about the wording as well, or if there is anything that we can do to claim these points, since it is clear that they mentioned you need not have obtained credentials, degrees or diplomas at the completion of the program. I suppose most people (including me) would interpret this as having completed at least two years of a program rather than having completed the program of two years study. Also, as you mentioned, the instruction guide 7000 stated that adaptability points are awarded for those who have studied for two years or more. The 'having completed' part is completely missing:

You or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner studied at a post-secondary institution in Canada for at least two years on a full-time basis. This must have been done after the age of 17 and with a valid study permit.
Now tell me, how many different ways really can you interpret that? I suppose, one can always argue that it says 'studied' rather than 'having studied', which implied something that happened in the past, but then again, the first two years of our PhD were also something that happened in the past, and that passage would still validly apply.

Even when they mention that the program needs to actually be completed, right below it they state that there is no need to have obtained any sort of credentials to claim the points. How else are we supposed to interpret a period of two years of study without obtaining any degree or credential?

Previous study in Canada
You, or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner, have completed a program of full-time study of at least two years' duration at a post-secondary institution in Canada. You must have done this after you were 17 years old and with a valid study permit.

There is no need to have obtained a degree or diploma for these two years of study to earn these points.

AST

Star Member
Feb 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 9, 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 29, 2013
Nomination.....
PER: April 10, 2012
Med's Request
Feb 21, 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 26, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
Interpreting CIC statements is much harder than completing our research!!!!

asbereth said:
Ya, I'm getting really anxious too. Apparently, the 25 months processing time was counted only after the VO AOR was issued, and not from the time PER was issued :(

Hi websphereguy, if you get 67 points or above without the adaptability points, then I don't think it would be a problem. I really do think now that you do need to have completed a program of at least two years duration to claim the adaptability points, which would be a bummer for a lot of people I guess (since you would now need at least two years of full-time work experience to get 67 points or above). Another way would be to learn French, and get at least 2 points from the second official language, which would bring the total number of points to 68 (assuming 1 year of work experience, 17 years of education, a Master's degree, below 35 years of age and zero adaptability).

I don't think it matters really whether you choose 'yes' for question 7 on schedule 3. The fact that you have to be enrolled in a Canadian PhD program to be eligible should automatically award these five points if they were really meant to be given for anyone who has only studied for two years or more. In the two NER (MapleDream and s.guo82) cases due to insufficient points we have so far, both cases are missing precisely these adaptability points, because they haven't completed any Canadian post-secondary programs.

I'm not sure about the wording as well, or if there is anything that we can do to claim these points, since it is clear that they mentioned you need not have obtained credentials, degrees or diplomas at the completion of the program. I suppose most people (including me) would interpret this as having completed at least two years of a program rather than having completed the program of two years study. Also, as you mentioned, the instruction guide 7000 stated that adaptability points are awarded for those who have studied for two years or more. The 'having completed' part is completely missing:

Now tell me, how many different ways really can you interpret that? I suppose, one can always argue that it says 'studied' rather than 'having studied', which implied something that happened in the past, but then again, the first two years of our PhD were also something that happened in the past, and that passage would still validly apply.

Even when they mention that the program needs to actually be completed, right below it they state that there is no need to have obtained any sort of credentials to claim the points. How else are we supposed to interpret a period of two years of study without obtaining any degree or credential?

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
Somehow I sense that apart from all the nitty-gritty matters and following most of the stuff they mention (boy it gets really stressful at times on this matter especially I had to coordinate getting 6 letters from my 6 different employers to account for my 10 years working exp), when it comes to the processing, there is another element to it all -> LUCK.

So, it also depends on what kind of processing officer you are going to get. Pray hard that they didn't have a bad day on the day they are working on your application. They could be really super picky or go easy on minor stuff.

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
AST said:
Interpreting CIC statements is much harder than completing our research!!!!
That's true. My wife and I will discuss on vague statements and debate it several times before coming to a decision on what to fill. Wish I had known about this forum earlier. I could have gotten inputs from here as well.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
One thing that I don't get though, why do they keep re-iterating the point that the applicant need not have obtained a degree or any credential, but merely having completed two years of study, giving more room to mis-interpretation. They should've mentioned that the program needs to be completed, and you will not be awarded points if you are still enrolled in it, or something similar to that.

jjww

Mar 29, 2012
Thanks for the information everybody shared with us. There is one thing I want to clarify with you and other PhD friends. When you claimed your adaptability points, did you click YES or NO on the Schedule 3 (IMM0008-3e) form for claiming 5 points of 7.study in Canada. This is a very confused sentence, it seems we should complete a two-year program in order to get 5 points, so many PhD applicants might click NO but according to the new 7000 guide (updated December 2011), it can be read as once we studied two years we should get these 5 points. However, many applicants submitted the applications before the updated version and said No to this questions. So what I am thinking is, even if we are eligible to get these 5 points for studying in Canada but if we clicked NO on this question and signed below, namely, we want to give up the chance to get 5 points. I am not sure whether my guessing is right. Is there anybody who clicked YES and got NER without getting adaptability points of studying in Canada, or anyone who might not be able to get PER without these 5 points got PER. Thank you very much for everyone to share the information and make this question clear.

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
One question I have and that has kind of bug me all this while is the degree of detailness (in proof of education) needed. What I meant is proof of your years of study. It is probably understood that you could go for as far as getting proof for your high school, degree and masters (or even dip) education. But, seriously how many of you go as far as to obtain junior high / junior (primary)? I would assume that no high school would accept a student without prior qualifications (junior high exams before high school and also note the fact that you definitely need A-Levels before university but what kind of college would accept you for A-Levels course without proper O-levels type of qualification). For me, I felt not of a concern since coming from a Commonwealth country and education based in English.

jackson2209

Mar 26, 2012
I am also confused with this question. I choose No when filling the form. Won't CIC judges by the actual evidence if we choose the wrong option? OMG, I only have 62 without the 5 adaptive points....

jjww said:
Thanks for the information everybody shared with us. There is one thing I want to clarify with you and other PhD friends. When you claimed your adaptability points, did you click YES or NO on the Schedule 3 (IMM0008-3e) form for claiming 5 points of 7.study in Canada. This is a very confused sentence, it seems we should complete a two-year program in order to get 5 points, so many PhD applicants might click NO but according to the new 7000 guide (updated December 2011), it can be read as once we studied two years we should get these 5 points. However, many applicants submitted the applications before the updated version and said No to this questions. So what I am thinking is, even if we are eligible to get these 5 points for studying in Canada but if we clicked NO on this question and signed below, namely, we want to give up the chance to get 5 points. I am not sure whether my guessing is right. Is there anybody who clicked YES and got NER without getting adaptability points of studying in Canada, or anyone who might not be able to get PER without these 5 points got PER. Thank you very much for everyone to share the information and make this question clear.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
websphereguy said:
One question I have and that has kind of bug me all this while is the degree of detailness (in proof of education) needed. What I meant is proof of your years of study. It is probably understood that you could go for as far as getting proof for your high school, degree and masters (or even dip) education. But, seriously how many of you go as far as to obtain junior high / junior (primary)? I would assume that no high school would accept a student without prior qualifications (junior high exams before high school and also note the fact that you definitely need A-Levels before university but what kind of college would accept you for A-Levels course without proper O-levels type of qualification). For me, I felt not of a concern since coming from a Commonwealth country and education based in English.
I did. But people should be fine with secondary.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
jackson2209 said:
I am also confused with this question. I choose No when filling the form. Won't CIC judges by the actual evidence if we choose the wrong option? OMG, I only have 62 without the 5 adaptive points....
Can't you find 5 points elsewhere? IELTS? My University is advising people with least than 68 points not to apply given that amount of rejections they have been getting.

Luigiovemma

Star Member
Mar 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-20-2013
Nomination.....
03-05-2014
AOR Received.
04-30-2014
Med's Request
04-30-2014
Hi everyone, I have a question in terms of my education point. I actually don't have a master's degree. I'm enrolled in a fast-track PhD program that by pass master. Currently I'm in my last year (5th) of the PhD program, so in total I have 20 years of education, but only with a Bachelor's degree from China. How would I calculate the point then?

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
30pixie said:
Hi! I'm applying for FSR under the PhD stream. I don't understand the abbreviations you're using (PER?) is but here's my information:

Sent application on January 15
Received letter from CIC on March 7 saying they will process my application in the corresponding office.
Work experience: 3+ yrs full-time experience at a government office before coming to Canada, did not declare any TA/RA work experience.
People in application: Just me!

Has anybody heard from their visa office? (Buffalo or elsewhere) I know the average time for complete processing in Buffalo is 22 months, but I wonder if it'll be faster for anyone under this stream. I know people that applied under the same stream last time they opened it (2007? 2008?), some of them got it in about 8 months and some in a bit over a year.
30pixie, its true that Buffalo has a history of being slow. But as TyrusX posted earlier and if you do some googling on "immigration, budget news" in Canada, you will notice that the recent announcement with regards to the budget 2012 says that they are going to eliminate all prior applications before 2008 to simply clear the backlog of applications. This would mean that resources can be refocus to other areas. Hopefully it is true for our applications too and that it won't be the average 22mths as shown on the website for Buffalo. Perhaps it might be, say 12 mths or less, if I may be so bold.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Luigiovemma said:
Hi everyone, I have a question in terms of my education point. I actually don't have a master's degree. I'm enrolled in a fast-track PhD program that by pass master. Currently I'm in my last year (5th) of the PhD program, so in total I have 20 years of education, but only with a Bachelor's degree from China. How would I calculate the point then?
You are limited to your bachelors, so only 15 or 16 years of completed education?