+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

cdhbamboo

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
AST said:
Did u specify the rate per hour and the salary with this information? I am totally confused. Research grant is less when we compare the number of hours. In my case, I have $1000 per month, so i was wondering about the rate per hour....
I didn't specify the rate of RA, However, instead I show the total income so that they could figure out the rate themselves. The point is that you have to make sure the rate is reasonable, like $20 per hour. if it is too low, they cannot be convinced.

smallkick

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
asbereth said:
smallkick, congratulations :D !!! PER in 14 days is just incredibly fast.

Anyway, I've heard from other threads that people that were getting PER's mid-to-late February have started receiving AOR's last week from New Delhi Visa Office. Buffalo is indeed slow...
Thanks. Is it possible to change visa office after getting PER?

cdhbamboo

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
Shomo said:
Hi anjuku,
As far as I know, he didn't have any RA experience. It was all TAs.
The reason of rejection is not 'continuous', but they didn't have enough hours of work experience. short break between jobs and summer break are both acceptable for CIC. However, TA at Canadian University usually works for 10 hours a week, and if CIC assume you do not work during summer, then each year you only could have less than 300 hours of experience. So without any special letter to explain one's different situations, and with Canadian TA only, one could not have enough work hours to claim skilled workers, because CIC is assume 10 hours per week.

I could be wrong, though it is the case for my application.

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
PER receieved on 05-APR-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application (band 8.5)
File Transfer...
Transferred from Buffelo to Ottawa
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
AF___ said:
You can get a post-grad work permit (for up to three years).
Thank you very much for your reply, AF. Do you know if I will be eligible for "post-grad" work permit even if I am still ABD? My student status was for three year PhD program which ends 1st of September this year. I have not defended my PhD dissertation yet, though.

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
TyrusX said:
Probably not. Please post all your information so I can update the spreadsheet.
Thank you for your service, TyrusX. Here are my details for the database:

Application filed: March 28, 2012
Nationality: Georgia
# of application: 4
ECAS status: what is this? ;)
Work experience: 4 years of university teaching (F/T Faculty) and 4 years of university programs administration

Could you, please, let me know how I can create my timeline for my profile? I can't find the way to do so.

Thank you...

AF___

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-12
Doc's Request.
09-01-13
Med's Request
22-03-13
Med's Done....
06-04-13
Passport Req..
22-11-13
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-13
GeoCanadian said:
Thank you very much for your reply, AF. Do you know if I will be eligible for "post-grad" work permit even if I am still ABD? My student status was for three year PhD program which ends 1st of September this year. I have not defended my PhD dissertation yet, though.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
cdhbamboo said:
The reason of rejection is not 'continuous', but they didn't have enough hours of work experience. short break between jobs and summer break are both acceptable for CIC. However, TA at Canadian University usually works for 10 hours a week, and if CIC assume you do not work during summer, then each year you only could have less than 300 hours of experience. So without any special letter to explain one's different situations, and with Canadian TA only, one could not have enough work hours to claim skilled workers, because CIC is assume 10 hours per week.
I agree. I think for the terms where he was just receiving graduate fellowship and no taxable incomes, he could've claimed work experience as an RA only. Also, for all terms, since he's obviously working on his research as well, then he could have as well claimed RA work experience. But this is usually a challenge since nobody but your supervisor can provide you with the number of hours, and the last thing in a student's mind when it comes to immigration letter of reference is the supervisor.

When I applied, I tried the department secretary and the graduate studies office, but both declined to specify the number of hours (and responsibilities, so their letters would be close to useless), and only then it dawned on me that the only way I could get this credited was through my supervisor (since the checklist mentioned that the letters need not be signed by graduate or payroll office, but merely responsible officer or supervisor so long the letters have the letterhead, company's email, website, phone, etc).

GeoCanadian said:
Could you, please, let me know how I can create my timeline for my profile? I can't find the way to do so.
TyrusX and snow_walker are the only users with access to the spreadsheet, so I'm assuming one of them would be the one to update it to include your information. Anyway, did you include TA/RA experience in your application as well? Good luck, and expect to be cashed within two weeks :D

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't received PER and people who mailed later have received their PER, so I am a little anxious and called CIC. The wired thing is that they are processing the applications received before Feb 22, 2012. So how did they got PER mailed after Feb 22,2012?

BTW, I come from China

smallkick

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Hi Mike, for my case, this is my re-application. I sent my first application in Dec. 2011. They checked all my documents for the first time,
and I only udpated/added some forms for the second time. This may speed up the processing for my second application.

Don't be concerned too much, you will get PER soon.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
GeoCanadian said:
Thank you for your service, TyrusX. Here are my details for the database:

Application filed: March 28, 2012
Nationality: Georgia
# of application: 4
ECAS status: what is this? ;)
Work experience: 4 years of university teaching (F/T Faculty) and 4 years of university programs administration

Thank you...
THanks for that, you can create you timeline on Profile in the right top corner and then in Forum Profile Information on the left menu.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
asbereth said:
I agree. I think for the terms where he was just receiving graduate fellowship and no taxable incomes, he could've claimed work experience as an RA only. Also, for all terms, since he's obviously working on his research as well, then he could have as well claimed RA work experience. But this is usually a challenge since nobody but your supervisor can provide you with the number of hours, and the last thing in a student's mind when it comes to immigration letter of reference is the supervisor.
See asbereth, the problem here is that there are lots of people without RA, that depend purely on TA to pay for their education. They do their Research without financial help from supervisors. Which, by consequence, makes them ineligible.

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
AF___ said:
cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp
Thanks... It seems that post-graduation work permit program only works for those who have their Canadian postsecondary degrees in hand. Has anyone obtained post-grad work permit while being only ABD without their PhD degree in hand? Please, share your experience...

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smallkick said:
Hi Mike, for my case, this is my re-application. I sent my first application in Dec. 2011. They checked all my documents for the first time,
and I only udpated/added some forms for the second time. This may speed up the processing for my second application.

Don't be concerned too much, you will get PER soon.
Thanks, Hopefully I will get it soon.

30pixie

Mar 29, 2012
Hi! I'm applying for FSR under the PhD stream. I don't understand the abbreviations you're using (PER?) is but here's my information:

Sent application on January 15
Received letter from CIC on March 7 saying they will process my application in the corresponding office.
Work experience: 3+ yrs full-time experience at a government office before coming to Canada, did not declare any TA/RA work experience.
People in application: Just me!

Has anybody heard from their visa office? (Buffalo or elsewhere) I know the average time for complete processing in Buffalo is 22 months, but I wonder if it'll be faster for anyone under this stream. I know people that applied under the same stream last time they opened it (2007? 2008?), some of them got it in about 8 months and some in a bit over a year.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
mike5182 said:
Thanks, Hopefully I will get it soon.
Hi mike5182, since you said you had 2 applicants, did you claim any adaptability points from your spouse as well? Also, you said that you only claimed on TA/RA, did you have at least 3,900 hours in total? If you didn't claim adaptability points from your spouse, then most likely you would need at least two years of work experience, and it would be hard to get just on RA/TA (unless you can somehow count Master's degree RA/TA as work experience as well). Just wondering, and I am hoping that things go well with you as well, and you start receiving your PER soon :D

TyrusX said:
See asbereth, the problem here is that there are lots of people without RA, that depend purely on TA to pay for their education. They do their Research without financial help from supervisors. Which, by consequence, makes them ineligible.
It would be hard then for those students, especially since most schools can give you up to only 10 hours per week for TA alone. I really thought that most PhD student would be provided some sort of a research funding as well, on the top of TA. I agree though that most grad students in Canadian universities probably only received TA income as taxable incomes, whereas RA incomes usually are non-taxable (though not always the case).

30pixie said:
Has anybody heard from their visa office? (Buffalo or elsewhere) I know the average time for complete processing in Buffalo is 22 months, but I wonder if it'll be faster for anyone under this stream. I know people that applied under the same stream last time they opened it (2007? 2008?), some of them got it in about 8 months and some in a bit over a year.
Hi 30pixie, the email you got from CIC back on March 7 was the PER we were talking about. I think it meant that the CIO considered you to have at least 67 points, and your application is eligible for further processing at the visa office (though the VO might have different interpretation on how the points are assigned, let's hope this is not the case). And as far the information we have is concerned, none of us has received any notification from the visa office, and indeed, Buffalo has a notorious reputation of being really slow (people applying under FSW1 at around December / January submitting their applications to New Delhi have started receiving AOR's since last week).