+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

S

s.guo82

asbereth said:
Ya, but the thing is, he submitted before letters from HR that detail the hours for RA as well, so whatever letters he will get from his supervisor should not contradict the information given by the HR (for example, if it is mentioned by HR that he worked 20 hours a week for RA, he can't have his supervisor say that he did 40 hours of RA work per week for the same period). Which is why I think you should focus on getting strong letters for the non-taxable parts (since you can probably claim 25 hours for some periods where you did not claim anything before), since the immigration does not yet have this information before.
Thanks all. I will resend the application. Hopefully, it will get better and not be too late.

jackson2209

Mar 26, 2012
I got the reference letter for RA from my supervisor, but I don't think there is a certain rate determined by the University. I only have the salary amount for RA, so I can argue the rate with my supervisor. BTW, what do PER and NER mean?

s.guo82 said:
Thanks all. I will resend the application. Hopefully, it will get better and not be too late.

S

s.guo82

carol_0130 said:
To s.guo82: sorry to hear that.

May I ask whether the status of e-CAS changes once receiving an NER?
No, not immediately.

mkrp21

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
jackson2209 said:
I got the reference letter for RA from my supervisor, but I don't think there is a certain rate determined by the University. I only have the salary amount for RA, so I can argue the rate with my supervisor. BTW, what do PER and NER mean?
Hi jackson2209,
What do you mean by 'rate'? Do you mean the number of hours per week? In the supporting letter for TA/RA, it is required to include the number of hours done per week and its duration (remember one year continuous work is needed anytime during your total experience), and description of responsibilities as TA/RA (Correct me if I am missing something). Though you can get these information from different sources (for example, about number of hours you can get letter from human resource officer of your university, about TA duties from department, about RA duties from department or supervisor as it varies from department to department and university to university). Usually, details of salary (if it is what you mean by 'rate') is mentioned in the letter provided by HR. But again there are some issues about T4 and T4A salaries. But I think you dont need to worry about it right now. You can see previous posts about T4 and T4A

PER is Positive Eligibility Review and NER is Negative Eligibility review

jackson2209

Mar 26, 2012
To mkrp21:

I mean the payment per hour. The hr department only provide how much money I totally get in one year for RA, so the actual payment per hour depends on the determination of my supervisor. As a result, the working hours per week are got based on this.

mkrp21 said:
Hi jackson2209,
What do you mean by 'rate'? Do you mean the number of hours per week? In the supporting letter for TA/RA, it is required to include the number of hours done per week and its duration (remember one year continuous work is needed anytime during your total experience), and description of responsibilities as TA/RA (Correct me if I am missing something). Though you can get these information from different sources (for example, about number of hours you can get letter from human resource officer of your university, about TA duties from department, about RA duties from department or supervisor as it varies from department to department and university to university). Usually, details of salary (if it is what you mean by 'rate') is mentioned in the letter provided by HR. But again there are some issues about T4 and T4A salaries. But I think you dont need to worry about it right now. You can see previous posts about T4 and T4A

PER is Positive Eligibility Review and NER is Negative Eligibility review

mkrp21

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
jackson2209 said:
To mkrp21:

I mean the payment per hour. The hr department only provide how much money I totally get in one year for RA, so the actual payment per hour depends on the determination of my supervisor. As a result, the working hours per week are got based on this.
Hi Jackson,
I am not quite sure about this. Should not it be a matter under human resource office?? In my university, University HR office provide us a letter and it decides how much we get per hour.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
mkrp21 said:
I am not quite sure about this. Should not it be a matter under human resource office?? In my university, University HR office provide us a letter and it decides how much we get per hour.
That would be true for the taxable parts. A lot of people here got funded through non-taxable incomes, and these incomes would most likely not show up on the letter given by HR. You probably need to go to either your department or the grad office to have proof of funding (the research part).

And for sure they won't give you the number of hours for your T4As incomes (since they're classified under scholarship), so you would have to do a bit of work in getting them done, usually by asking your supervisors. Not to mention that, in your HR letter, most likely you won't have responsibilities, so even if you have all of the other things written, your HR letter still won't be complete.

Anyway, I think somebody brought this up earlier, but do we no longer get 1st AOR from VO, but instead PER?

carol_0130

Jan 30, 2012
Hi, guys, I just received a long email from CIO. I am very confused about it.

For employers XXXXA, and XXXXB, I did full-time RA. I submitted all my employment contracts, and letters from the employers (showing my employment time period, position, salary). The weekly hours were not listed in the letter but shown in the contract.

For the TA experience in Canada, I just submitted a letter from the department saying that I have TA position in which terms and how much money; but I submitted copies of my TA with the letter.

In some contracts, they did not write specific responsibilities.
Does it because I wrote many words for main responsibilities in schedule 3 form?
How did you guys write the main responsibilities in schedule 3?

===== The main part of the letter is as follows:===============

Your application has been placed in to processing however the letter(s) of employment you have supplied do not provide sufficient information to complete the selection assessment of your application.

In order for us to complete the assessment of you application we require letters of reference from the following Employer(s) University of XXXX, XXXXA and XXXXB for which you have requested assessment on your schedule 3. Please note: work experience must have occurred during the 10 years immediately preceding the date of application.

Letters must include all of the following information:

The Specific Period of your employment with the company, (dates of Employment).
The positions you have held during the period of employment and
The time spent in each position,
You main responsibilities and duties in each position.
Your total annual salary plus benefits.
The number of hours worked per week and a summary of the total hours of employment and indicate if the employment was full time or part time.

The letters must be:

Written on Company Letterhead,
Signed by the responsible officer/supervisor
Show the company’s full address, telephone and fax number e-mail and website address and stamp with the company’s official seal (if applicable).

You have 60 days from the date of this letter to submit the original employment letter(s) requested.

AST

Star Member
Feb 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 9, 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 29, 2013
Nomination.....
PER: April 10, 2012
Med's Request
Feb 21, 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 26, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
carol_0130 said:

For employers XXXXA, and XXXXB, I did full-time RA. I submitted all my employment contracts, and letters from the employers (showing my employment time period, position, salary). The weekly hours were not listed in the letter but shown in the contract.

For the TA experience in Canada, I just submitted a letter from the department saying that I have TA position in which terms and how much money; but I submitted copies of my TA with the letter.

Does it because I wrote many words for main responsibilities in schedule 3 form?

Your application has been placed in to processing however the letter(s) of employment you have supplied do not provide sufficient information to complete the selection assessment of your application.

In order for us to complete the assessment of you application we require letters of reference from the following Employer(s) University of XXXX, XXXXA and XXXXB for which you have requested assessment on your schedule 3. Please note: work experience must have occurred during the 10 years immediately preceding the date of application.

The number of hours worked per week and a summary of the total hours of employment and indicate if the employment was full time or part time.

The letters must be:

Show the company's full address, telephone and fax number e-mail and website address and stamp with the company's official seal (if applicable).

You have 60 days from the date of this letter to submit the original employment letter(s) requested.

I also got the same letter as carol_0130. I also submitted all the documents except that the letters didnot specify whether the job is part time or full time.

Waiting for yuor suggestion guys!!!!

AST

Star Member
Feb 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 9, 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 29, 2013
Nomination.....
PER: April 10, 2012
Med's Request
Feb 21, 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 26, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
carol_0130 said:

The letters must be:

Show the company's full address, telephone and fax number e-mail and website address and stamp with the company's official seal (if applicable).

would u plz post ur nationality? wondering whether the decision has some relation with nationality.....

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
carol_0130 said:

Hi carol_0130, responsibilities and duties should be included in the letter as well, not just in the schedule 3 form. That was probably the clarification they were looking for. Make sure the letter contains the same responsibilities as you wrote in schedule 3 though.

If you made copies of all letters and forms you sent to the CIO, double check, and see what information might be missing, and what you wrote on schedule 3, then draft new letters that address the issues. Basically, just draft the letters yourself (make sure they contain NO contradictory information, and have ALL information as required by the checklist), and have your managers or supervisors verify and sign them. They should be willing to do so.

They don't have to be signed by payroll office or HR, but the letters need to have signatures of responsible supervisors, and company letterhead (and information such as website, phone, etc).

Anyway, I'm really glad to see that the CIO was rational enough to give second chances to people missing details from their letters of reference. Hope you get your PER soon, and good luck :D

carol_0130

Jan 30, 2012
thank you, guys! these suggestions are really helpful!

I am anxious preparing for an important presentation tomorrow morning.

This email really drives my crazy. The employers XXXA and XXXB are not in Canada. I can only have time to check the materials in the weekend :( Finger crossed.......

To TyrusX: I am from China and I am the only applicant. I have around 2 years work experience before PhD

mkrp21

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
asbereth said:
That would be true for the taxable parts. A lot of people here got funded through non-taxable incomes, and these incomes would most likely not show up on the letter given by HR. You probably need to go to either your department or the grad office to have proof of funding (the research part).

And for sure they won't give you the number of hours for your T4As incomes (since they're classified under scholarship), so you would have to do a bit of work in getting them done, usually by asking your supervisors. Not to mention that, in your HR letter, most likely you won't have responsibilities, so even if you have all of the other things written, your HR letter still won't be complete.

Anyway, I think somebody brought this up earlier, but do we no longer get 1st AOR from VO, but instead PER?
What is the difference between 1st and 2nd AOR?

smallkick

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Hi, I got a PER this morning.
I realized if you got a return it's not too bad, cause you got a second chance to update some materials, correct some mistakes, and also provide more proof regarding your work experience. This happened on me.
I encourage the folks who got NER or return not to give up and get prepared ASAP for your re-application before the cap is rearched.
Wish you all get PER soon and all get the PR visa by the end of this year.