Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaPR_seeker said:
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for adding another bad news into our forum... :(

After more than a year of waiting, I've just also got the rejection today in the email sent by Ottawa. Here is their reason:

"You have not obtained the minimum number of points, currently 67, required for a permanent resident visa. Your letter of reference from XX University did not list your job duties or hours worked. Therefore I could not determine if you performed the actions of the lead statement and a substantial number of the main duties under the NOC code you selected – NOC 4122, Post Secondary Teaching and Research Assistants. As such, I am not satisfied that this experience meets the requirements under regulation 80(3). Your work experience at YY University was more than two years, but less than three years, thus earning 17 points under experience. As you have not completed a program of study in Canada, I could not award you adaptability points for previous study in Canada. As you have not obtained 67 points, you have not satisfied me that you will be able to become economically established in Canada."

I sent the application to Sydney in Feb 27
got PER in June 8, 2012.

Ottawa gave me 64 points only (language: 12). I don't know why Ottawa doesn't count the hours worked in XX University (in Florida, USA) as the letter from XX University indicated clearly that I worked as a Graduate Research Assistant for 1552 hours totally...and it stated very clearly the periods, position, and salary!! Also, Ottawa doesn't give me 5 adaptability points for previous study in Canada!

I think that Sydney gave me those points that was why I got PER.

Do you think that I can appeal this decision? If yes, what should I do? or this is also the end of the road for me too, (like utopie this is my second times)!

Thank you
Sorry about this news :(
Stay always positive. :)

sarsanballa

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dec_Applicant said:
I am sorry to hear this. I have one question though, Which one is the right NOC code (4122 or 4012) for TA/RA work. I have used NOC 4122, recently I have received PER and document request for PCC. Would it be good to send a letter to ottawa to explain that my NOC code is 4012?
The old one is 4122,
The new one is 4012.

It won't hurt to send them an e-mail to explain the situation.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
TyrusX said:
You can't appeal when you get rejected by Ottawa, unless you hire a lawyer and really want to spend money on this. And I'm sorry for it. I am already starting to thinking that mine is not going to go thru too. Maybe I we should all go to Brazil guys :). I bet you all can get jobs as profs there LOL
You got your medicals man. You are almost done. Well, I don't know about Brazil, but I consider going to the US or Australia. If not, I will return to my home country.

Regarding the letter to the Minister, how many people we are?

morena34

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
CanadaPR_seeker said:
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for adding another bad news into our forum... :(

After more than a year of waiting, I've just also got the rejection today in the email sent by Ottawa. Here is their reason:

"You have not obtained the minimum number of points, currently 67, required for a permanent resident visa. Your letter of reference from XX University did not list your job duties or hours worked. Therefore I could not determine if you performed the actions of the lead statement and a substantial number of the main duties under the NOC code you selected – NOC 4122, Post Secondary Teaching and Research Assistants. As such, I am not satisfied that this experience meets the requirements under regulation 80(3). Your work experience at YY University was more than two years, but less than three years, thus earning 17 points under experience. As you have not completed a program of study in Canada, I could not award you adaptability points for previous study in Canada. As you have not obtained 67 points, you have not satisfied me that you will be able to become economically established in Canada."

I sent the application to Sydney in Feb 27
got PER in June 8, 2012.

Ottawa gave me 64 points only (language: 12). I don't know why Ottawa doesn't count the hours worked in XX University (in Florida, USA) as the letter from XX University indicated clearly that I worked as a Graduate Research Assistant for 1552 hours totally...and it stated very clearly the periods, position, and salary!! Also, Ottawa doesn't give me 5 adaptability points for previous study in Canada!

I think that Sydney gave me those points that was why I got PER.

Do you think that I can appeal this decision? If yes, what should I do? or this is also the end of the road for me too, (like utopie this is my second times)!

Thank you

omg, they def. will reject me too then! I cant believe that Sydney has ripped off us! Why on earth they gave us 5 points of adaptability 1 year ago thennnnnnn!!!! we should make a petition!!!

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
hamed_hamed_hamed said:
You got your medicals man. You are almost done. Well, I don't know about Brazil, but I consider going to the US or Australia. If not, I will return to my home country.

Just in case. It is not that bad there: http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/24/brazil-immigration-idINL2E8JNAK920120824
I actually went to school with a two sons of Americans that immigrated there, an Angola and a Mozambiquean that also immigrated there.

utopie

Dec 14, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2013
Nomination.....
11-09-2013
AOR Received.
30-10-2013
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
30-10-2013
Med's Request
30-10-2013
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
24-07-2014 (decision made: April 15, 2014)
VISA ISSUED...
1-09-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
hamed_hamed_hamed said:
Did you actually send an official job offer to them?
I did but there's a catch: it is a permanent job but only when I graduate. Unfortunately, my defense is on May 9. If I had defended earlier it might have worked out. It's my fault. I should have made the application airtight. I relied on a "maybe" and I got whipped. My bad. Never going to happen again.

Mar 12, 2013
hamed_hamed_hamed said:

Count me in! we should raise our voice abt this double standard.

I haven't ever seen any strange and unfair proceduce like that: they initially seemed to incline to accpet us with PER and then a year later without any other communications they just simply send a rejection email to end the case! It's very hard to be understood, as there is NO unclear information or misclaim in our application from the very begining.

Curious2

Jan 7, 2013
Sorry for all the bad news. :(

To change the forum negative mood, an additional line appeared on my ecase: Medical results have been received.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Curious2 said:
Sorry for all the bad news. :(

To change the forum negative mood, an additional line appeared on my ecase: Medical results have been received.
Yes! very good. When did you do your medicals? Today is the 5th week since mine. Since my doctor was totally useless, I would say they got it only 3 weeks ago, at least. I would be surprised they got it yesterday though.

Curious2

Jan 7, 2013
TyrusX said:
Yes! very good. When did you do your medicals? Today is the 5th week since mine. Since my doctor was totally useless, I would say they got it only 3 weeks ago, at least. I would be surprised they got it yesterday though.
I did my medical exam on Jan 22. I called the doctor later, they sent it to Ottawa on Feb 1 (10 days later). It took Ottawa guys around 6 weeks to update it on my ecase.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Curious2 said:
I did my medical exam on Jan 22. I called the doctor later, they sent it to Ottawa on Feb 1 (2 weeks later). It took Ottawa guys around 6 weeks to update it on my ecase.
That was fast. I will not expect any updates before April, as I've done my medical only in Feb 5.

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
For the people who think they got unfair rejection from Ottawa VO, should write individually to Minister Jason Kenney.

His email is jason.kenney @ parl.gc.ca
http://www.jasonkenney.ca/contact/

If a couple of applicants report their rejections and the reason for unfairness, I am sure that the Minister will look into it. He is fairly active person and interacts with public (for example, his tweets and meetings). If he finds some problem in the procedure he may look into it and trying solving it.

After all, there is no point in sitting quiet with a rejection letter in hand and think that thing will become better in future. The least we (applicants) can do is to raise our voice to Minister so that he can take note of it and look into it.

A good example is the applications from Quebec whoz applications were stuck in Ottawa after Buffalo got closed. They reported it actively to Minster and now tons of them are getting their application process completed (https://www.facebook.com/LesOubliesDeBuffaloEnAction)

PhD applicants and applicants within Canada are supposed to be high priority and interest to Canada as they are already in Canada and familiar with Canadian culture and work environment as well as have Canadian education. They can become part of economic force easily, rather than those applicants who apply from abroad and then come to Canada and stay on public money or odd-jobs until they find some relevant job.

Hope that helps. Hope if we raise our voice about this problem, only then we can expect things to get better, rather than just sitting quiet and re-applying with uncertainty.

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
Hi all,

Could somebody give me some feedback with the following questions?

1) In the Generic Application form for Canada, I'm a little confused with Question 4:
Immigration Office requested for processing this application . One can find out how
to fill that in by going to this webpage:
[update: the forum does not allow me to post links]
There, they say
Using the map below, find your country of nationality or country/territory where you
have been legally admitted for one year.
I am Greek and I have been in Canada since September 2008 on study permit. I guess I
should be choosing "Canada", right?!

2) My second question is, from your experience, when approximately the quota for the
applications fills up? I am waiting for a new passport that may take quite a while and
I am getting anxious. It may take 2 to 3 months from now. I had asked here again and
they told me not to apply with a soon-to-expire passport, but a friend told me that although
that may be the case, I have nothing to lose and I could also include the receipt for the
application for the new passport. On the other hand, if I receive the new passport in 2
months and there is still space in the quota left then, I could wait until then. Any feedback?

Many thanks in advance..

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
There are quite some places available in PhD Stream at the moment. Do not worry. Till 12 February 2013, only 288 applicants applied. They have quota of 1000 applicants. So, I think you do not have anything to worry if you have to wait for your new passport. Just my thought.

geo909 said:
Hi all,

Could somebody give me some feedback with the following questions?

1) In the Generic Application form for Canada, I'm a little confused with Question 4:
Immigration Office requested for processing this application . One can find out how
to fill that in by going to this webpage:
[update: the forum does not allow me to post links]
There, they sayI am Greek and I have been in Canada since September 2008 on study permit. I guess I
should be choosing "Canada", right?!

2) My second question is, from your experience, when approximately the quota for the
applications fills up? I am waiting for a new passport that may take quite a while and
I am getting anxious. It may take 2 to 3 months from now. I had asked here again and
they told me not to apply with a soon-to-expire passport, but a friend told me that although
that may be the case, I have nothing to lose and I could also include the receipt for the
application for the new passport. On the other hand, if I receive the new passport in 2
months and there is still space in the quota left then, I could wait until then. Any feedback?

Many thanks in advance..

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
indusvision said:
There are quite some places available in PhD Stream at the moment. Do not worry. Till 12 February 2013, only 288 applicants applied. They have quota of 1000 applicants. So, I think you do not have anything to worry if you have to wait for your new passport. Just my thought.
Thanks for your feedback. Do you know every how often do they update the quota on their website?