Sep 12, 2015
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
even my bg check has similar status as yours Shibaak..BG chck not started....I hope that its the CIC guys who are lazy enough not to update it and there is no issue in the documentation submitted.

pkumthek

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shibaak said:
Mine is a bkg is needed and not started but it's a long time that it is not started.
I think they must be doing your bg check. It's just they have not updated. I think the day your bg shows progress they'll send you PPR.

shellyp

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Masin said:
Hi friend, If you renew your daughter's passport, your daughter still can use her current permit and visa. Fore example if you go outside canada and want to return back you show both passports (the previous one with visa and the renewed one) to the officer and everything is fine. No worries!
Hey Masin, Thanks for your reply! Do you know the link for this info on CIC's website? I had been informed by a immigration consultant that if you renew your passaport, your visa is cancelled and showing both passports at the port of entry could cause a lot of problems. That's why I am so worried. Because my daughter is very young, her passport is not valid for a long time. I'm afraid I could mess up her status and obviously that would be a really bad thing!

shibaak

Feb 13, 2015
pkumthek said:
Yes first is not needed, second is in progress and third is complete
In that case at some point something has changed in my application.
Apparently at the beginning the left and the right parts of the table are a bkg check is needed - a bkg check is not needed.
Mine is "not started" now so maybe as that friend says, it's been started but they haven't updated it yet.

Masin

Nov 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shellyp said:
Hey Masin, Thanks for your reply! Do you know the link for this info on CIC's website? I had been informed by a immigration consultant that if you renew your passaport, your visa is cancelled and showing both passports at the port of entry could cause a lot of problems. That's why I am so worried. Because my daughter is very young, her passport is not valid for a long time. I'm afraid I could mess up her status and obviously that would be a really bad thing!
I remember one of my friends had the same problem and in the end he came into this result. But if your consultant has said sth else, it is better to search more. I suggest you to call CIC and ask them directly, this is safer.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
shellyp said:
That's rubbish (referring to consultants info). I am sorry I cannot refer a link where this is written (I never actually read this any where). Consultants usually have the least information and often wrong.

Any way usually CIC would not issue a visa beyond passport's expiry. But if they did and the validity of visa is shown on passport, you can always use it. I recently went to US and came back (where both my US visa and Canadian visa were stamped on the invalid passport. I am calling it invalid because since I renewed passport before expiry, I have a stamp on the old passport saying it is no longer valid and a new has been issued. But both valid visas were on the old one and I didn't have any issues with this. Of course I knew this already from past experience so I was never worried in the first place as well.

But no visa issued by CIC is ever cancelled unless you have done some thing significant to cause that. Example if you are on a work permit (and have a valid multiple entry trv along) but you lost your job or you got a new work permit, your previous one is still valid until its expiry.

In another situation I was also getting a new work permit upon returning from US (to work for a new employer) and CBSA handed me back the old work permit already. I specifically ensured its validity (since technically now I was holding two work permits). But because I had to resign and complete my notice period I still needed the existing work permit. CBSA officer confirmed this is perfectly fine and my existing work permit and trv are valid till the date of their expiry.

Hope it relieves your worries. All the best.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Masin said:
I remember one of my friends had the same problem and in the end he came into this result. But if your consultant has said sth else, it is better to search more. I suggest you to call CIC and ask them directly, this is safer.
Entry and exit to Canada is more related to CBSA - not CIC.

So I doubt they would be the authority to clarify this on phone. Referring to CBSA is still the correct course of action if one is so interested.

Just to be clear a work / study permit or visitor record is the document that allows you to stay in Canada. It is often STAPLED to passport but its validity has nothing to do with passport.

But trv is embossed on passport. Often its validity goes beyond passport's expiry (in case of other countries e.g. US). And people travel all the time with an older passport containing visa and newer passport. Canada was a bit touchy about this, so they stopped issuing visas beyond passport expiry. However, if you do have a valid VISA and a new passport, you shouldn't have any problem. I have done that multiple times so this is first hand.

Scottygirl

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront (passed Dec 15 2015)
Passport Req..
05-05-2016 (sent 06-05-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
shellyp said:
As previous posts have stated, the consultant is wrong. My husband renewed his work permit last September for another year, however his passport expires in July so the permit is only valid til then but the CBSA agent told him that if he renews his passport before it expires then the permit is just transferred to his new passport (although will still have an expiry date of July). Hope that makes sense! :p

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Vancity0012 said:
Canada does issue visa/permit more than the validity of the passport but US does. Whenever you get a new visa or permit the old one automatically become invalid does not matter with the expiry date. i have confirmed with cbsa at the border. If you just go to USA only you can enter back to cnada without TRV just on your work permit or study Permit. For example If you have a student visa valid upto March 2017 and you complete your studies in Aug.2016 you student visa automatically become invalid after 2 months means it will expire at the end of October. you can search on cic website.
Yes Canada does not issue visa / work permit beyond expiry. But that was not the question.

I am sorry the automatically become invalid thing is totally wrong. As I wrote above, I have had (still have) two valid work permits. And I have confirmed the same from CBSA as well as from probably top legal consultants in the company (Earnest and young) prepared work permit file for me.

You seem to be confusing STUDY PERMIT with Temp resident visa. They are two different things. Visa is needed for entry exit to Canada (except from US, provided you have a valid study / or work permit).

It is only a TRV that becomes invalid upon issuance of a new TRV. But again that was not the question from OP.

A study permit expiring because you completed your study sooner is a totally different case. I don't have knowledge of that. But like I mentioned before - if you have a work permit tied to one employer and you loose your job, the work permit stays valid until the end of its expiry and you can stay in Canada based upon that. Even when you cannot work for another employer.

And I have been here dealing with CIC for a long time (obvious from my posts and time frame). So rest assured I have searched enough on CIC website.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Vancity0012 said:
If you get a new visa your old visa is cancelled automatically does not matter with the expiry date. Confirmed with CBSA at border and you can enter from US to Canada without TRV. You just need a valid work or study permit. CIC never issue visa or work permit beyond the expiry date of your passport. It's on the cic website.For example If you have a student visa valid upto March 2017 and you complete your studies in Aug.2016 you student visa automatically become invalid after 2 months means it will expire at the end of October. you can search on cic website.
Again you are confusing PERMIT with VISA. They are two different things with different purposes.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Vancity0012 said:
As you said in previous post you entered Canada with a Valid visa stamped in Cancelled passport that's not possible
Emm its a bit odd to hang on to this more. I usually answer questions just to help, I have known this process long enough to know details well. Besides it makes little sense to answer points like "that's not possible". But just to make the above situation clear for some one who reads here for information, I was entering from US, already had a valid work permit and trv (the trv was stamped on cancelled / expired passport). Obviously I was carrying a renewed passport as well.

So technically I didn't even need a TRV to enter Canada since I had a valid work permit. A TRV would only be needed for another country except US.

That being said, the trv is still valid and I can travel on it to other countries. It would only be invalidated once I get a new TRV or its expiry date. Would say no more on this as the info from having physically done this, CBSA confirming this as well as arguably the most reputed law firm in the country preparing the file and confirming my doubts before the trip was good enough for me and I hope would be good enough for other people reading the thread to seek info. Cheers.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Vancity0012 said:
Permit becomes invalid too after issuance of a new permit
Sorry it just does not. Never did. There have been threads on the same topic on this forum, please look through them.

I certainly don't have any special relations with CBSA / CIC to grant me special privileges :) They never alter their terms.

My prior work permit is still valid until mid Feb. And I worked for previous employer for a month AFTER being issued a new work permit, received pay stubs and every thing.

In wordings of CBSA I can technically leave my new job and go back to work for previous employer TILL the validity of previous work permit. If some body is working two jobs with two work permits at the same time. Only ONE of them has to be full time. Would say no more on this.

Following should be ENLIGHTENING legal advise though.
http://immigrationcanada.pro/immigrate/holding-multiple-canadian-work-permits-time/

Update: Just quoting relevant sections here for those interested
"Where on the CIC site does it say I can get multiple work permits?

Like many things in immigration law, the CIC website is silent on this issue. Perhaps they don’t want to encourage the practise, who knows, but you won’t find any information there.

But an analysis of the law is revealing.

Nowhere in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act does it state that when you get a new work permit, the old work permit is cancelled. In fact, the Regulations state that a work permit only becomes invalid when it expires or when a removal order made against the permit holder becomes enforceable. It’s important to note that is does not become invalid when a second (or third, or fourth) work permit is issued.

As a result, holding multiple work permits is not prohibited anywhere in the law."

pkumthek

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We can enter Canada on visa stamped on old/ cancelled passport along with new passport. I also confirmed it with an ircc representative and from cic

Masin

Nov 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear flk,
Thanks for your information about work permit.
I also have a question about closed work permit. If someone quits his job before the expiration date of a closed work permit, his work permit will be invalidated and he has to leave Canada? or he can stay in Canada legally but not working.