+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

Krishessss

Jan 11, 2014
humdrumdum said:
@ hardworkinglady:
Hi!

Here's a rough outline of what I wrote on my study plan:
  • Why you're going to study in Canada
  • How is it related to your educational background and/or future goals
  • Reassurance that you are going to Canada JUST TO STUDY. Realistically, we all know we might work once we're here, but you need to convince them that that is not your intention.
  • Support this by stating your reasons for coming back in the Philippines. What are the existing ties that you have here?

@ Krishessss:

Hello! I have heard of Seneca but given that I'm in BC, I don't really know anyone there... Generally, colleges are okay if you want to get your foot in the door. Most employers understand if you have a degree from your home country but went here to just get a certificate or a degree from a college. It's a quick way to get Canadian credentials but for some schools (like BCIT huhu), workload can be pretty tough. It's usually course-specific but since you more or less finish in 2 years, they usually fill your workload to the brim. Right now, I'm taking 40 units in my second term because my program finishes in 2 years. I've heard from nursing students that it's also pretty tough for them (especially if your school has a renowned nursing program). However, if you already have a past background, it should be much easier for you.

If you decide to permanently stay in Canada eventually, you might want to invest in continuing education. Diplomas are useful for entry-level jobs but most people do not want that for the rest of their life. A diploma will rarely get you there, and employers do not usually consider foreign credentials, kahit galing ka pang UP, Ateneo, o La Salle. If you want to get a higher ranking job, you will eventually need to get a Canadian degree :)

I suggest to take the IELTS instead. Taking extra classes in Canada just for English can be quite costly, because you have to pay for your living expenses aside from tuition, when you can enroll in review classes in the Philippines for the fraction of the cost. All I actually did was to download free reviewer sets online and dedicated about two weeks full-time on reviewing. It really helps but it does require a lot of your time and effort. :)
@humdrumdum

Thank you! Seriously i really dont what to do, maybe ill decide after i have taken my ielts. Salamat po.

Krishessss

Jan 11, 2014
Another question, sorry guys ha andaming tanong.

Regarding sa proof of funds, my dad will be my sponsor kasi, so ideally lang naman, magkano satingin niyo yun kailangan fund ng dad ko sa bank niya? Ilang million para maging kahit papano eh SAFE. Thank you.

Or sarili kong account tapos mag transfer na lang ng money yung dad ko? How much kaya para safe? ???

Month of May application ba masaydo ng late for september?

May alam ba kayo na colleges na satingin niyo mabilis and okay for LPN?

Thank you thank you thank you talaga. :)

hardworkinglady

Sep 29, 2013
robinson1991 said:
ill reapply nlng daw kc di na daw ako pwede mag complain kasi a final decision has been made na daw...sad. mag aapply na lang ako paper based sa january. napaka unreliable ng online application. Goodluck sa lahat ng nagapply. i Hope dumating na lahat ng inaantay nio. sa ngaun mag iinom muna ako.
ang masakit pa dito bayad nako ng tuition for the whole year. hahahaha. refund na lang ule. you'll be hearing from me again pag nag re apply na ako. Goodluck and Godbless sa inyo. keep on praying mga guys.
Hi kilangan rin ba mag submit ng resume sabay sa mga forms?

hardworkinglady

Sep 29, 2013
humdrumdum said:
@ hardworkinglady:
Hi!

Here's a rough outline of what I wrote on my study plan:
  • Why you're going to study in Canada
  • How is it related to your educational background and/or future goals
  • Reassurance that you are going to Canada JUST TO STUDY. Realistically, we all know we might work once we're here, but you need to convince them that that is not your intention.
  • Support this by stating your reasons for coming back in the Philippines. What are the existing ties that you have here?

@ Krishessss:

Hello! I have heard of Seneca but given that I'm in BC, I don't really know anyone there... Generally, colleges are okay if you want to get your foot in the door. Most employers understand if you have a degree from your home country but went here to just get a certificate or a degree from a college. It's a quick way to get Canadian credentials but for some schools (like BCIT huhu), workload can be pretty tough. It's usually course-specific but since you more or less finish in 2 years, they usually fill your workload to the brim. Right now, I'm taking 40 units in my second term because my program finishes in 2 years. I've heard from nursing students that it's also pretty tough for them (especially if your school has a renowned nursing program). However, if you already have a past background, it should be much easier for you.

If you decide to permanently stay in Canada eventually, you might want to invest in continuing education. Diplomas are useful for entry-level jobs but most people do not want that for the rest of their life. A diploma will rarely get you there, and employers do not usually consider foreign credentials, kahit galing ka pang UP, Ateneo, o La Salle. If you want to get a higher ranking job, you will eventually need to get a Canadian degree :)

I suggest to take the IELTS instead. Taking extra classes in Canada just for English can be quite costly, because you have to pay for your living expenses aside from tuition, when you can enroll in review classes in the Philippines for the fraction of the cost. All I actually did was to download free reviewer sets online and dedicated about two weeks full-time on reviewing. It really helps but it does require a lot of your time and effort. :)
Hi thank you sa info. Anu na status ng visa mo? Mataong ko rin kung kilangan rin bang mag submit ng resume along with the application forms?

hardworkinglady

Sep 29, 2013
starlettedouze said:
Hi hardworkinglady, here's the framework I used in creating my study plan:

1) Education
2) Work Experience (if any)
3) Study Plan (purpose of study, how it would benefit you, relevance to your previous education/current work, emphasize how your studies will help you when you return to the Philippines)
4) Finances
Hello starlettedouze,

Wala talaga ako idea pa anu e develop ang Personal Study plan sa case ko. A, takign up ESL for 2 months. Patulogn naman ng sample pleaseee!!!!!!!

whehwhehwheh

Nov 5, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2013
Med's Request
15-11-2013
Med's Done....
26-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2013
LANDED..........
29-12-2013
Bon soir!

Antagal ko na rin palang hindi nakasilip dito sa thread. I dunno if anybody mentioned this already, but based on my first month here in Montreal as an international student, I have to say that education here is so much superior and that extensive pools of resources for research do exist within the universities. Even coming from a good university back home there, feeling ko ang kulang ko pa. Critical thinking is something that they value here while we back home don't. I dunno if it is the same throughout Canada but I'm just pointing out observations.

charmainefrances said:
Is there anybody here who applied for a student visa para sa anak while ongoing ang pr application inside canada ?

Ito kasi ang situation ko eh. I am going to try to apply for study permit for my son dyan sa pinas kaso di ko alm kung makakaffect yung pr application nmin.

May mga success stories ba sa case na ganito?

Gusto ko lng tlga mkasama na ang son ko na almost 4 years ko na hindi nayayakap :(

Thank you! :)
Hello po. My mom who currently works in Toronto applied for PR inside Canada more than a year ago along with the petition for the whole family in the PH (including me) and is still in the process when I got my student visa just this December (and it still is up to this time). I got a study permit nevertheless, though I didn't specify anymore that I have an accompanying dependent with me here in Canada (which only means spouses and children anyway) since I don't have a family of my own. Iba din siguro case ko kasi supposedly hindi na ako qualified as a dependent in the PR petition since I'm already 26 years old. I think it still depends on how strong the case of your son will be for a study permit (and yes, strong home ties is still a factor). Big plus if the Canadian school accepting him is a prestigious one also, from what I've heard. Wala lang akong idea kung ano ang chances for study permit pag elementary/high school ang grade level ng anak nyo since I applied as a graduate student. It's up to the Canadian embassy to grant him a study permit or not, but if they do give it to him, I think the PR application won't be affected. I'm also hoping myself that the PR would push through very soon with me on it, since international graduate student tuition fees are so expensive (like more than 5x the amount of what Canadian citizens and PR's pay).

hardworkinglady

Sep 29, 2013
whehwhehwheh said:
Bon soir!

Antagal ko na rin palang hindi nakasilip dito sa thread. I dunno if anybody mentioned this already, but based on my first month here in Montreal as an international student, I have to say that education here is so much superior and that extensive pools of resources for research do exist within the universities. Even coming from a good university back home there, feeling ko ang kulang ko pa. Critical thinking is something that they value here while we back home don't. I dunno if it is the same throughout Canada but I'm just pointing out observations.

Hello po. My mom who currently works in Toronto applied for PR inside Canada more than a year ago along with the petition for the whole family in the PH (including me) and is still in the process when I got my student visa just this December (and it still is up to this time). I got a study permit nevertheless, though I didn't specify anymore that I have an accompanying dependent with me here in Canada (which only means spouses and children anyway) since I don't have a family of my own. Iba din siguro case ko kasi supposedly hindi na ako qualified as a dependent in the PR petition since I'm already 26 years old. I think it still depends on how strong the case of your son will be for a study permit (and yes, strong home ties is still a factor). Big plus if the Canadian school accepting him is a prestigious one also, from what I've heard. Wala lang akong idea kung ano ang chances for study permit pag elementary/high school ang grade level ng anak nyo since I applied as a graduate student. It's up to the Canadian embassy to grant him a study permit or not, but if they do give it to him, I think the PR application won't be affected. I'm also hoping myself that the PR would push through very soon with me on it, since international graduate student tuition fees are so expensive (like more than 5x the amount of what Canadian citizens and PR's pay).
Ask lang kailangan pa ba mag submit ng Resume? Please help

hardworkinglady

Sep 29, 2013
starlettedouze said:
Hi robinson1991, medical examinations are valid for 12 months. You may refer to this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp

:)
Please help, kilangan pa ba mag submit ng Resume? Please I need your comments. Thank you

hardworkinglady

Sep 29, 2013
starlettedouze said:
Hi gelatine, I have applied for a student permit along with my dependents (OWP for spouse and SP for kid). You have to submit all of your applications together.

We just completed our medical on the 8th and we are still waiting :)
Applied online ka ba or paper base

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
It was my first time to apply by myself too, and I was so surprised that I ended up being successful haha I guess you can give a notarized copy, what I gave actually was an English translation of my diploma and a certificate of graduation :)

iamvenus said:
Thaaank yooou so much for the prompt reply Humdrumdum! :D I am still waiting for my LOA from the school. I am so scared applying for visa on my own. I am used to my dad doing the applications himself. Did you really give them the original copies of your diploma? Do you think I can give photocopies with notarization? It's just me being paranoid about these things. I might not get them back. Hahaha! Again, thank you so much! :D

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hi there whehwhehwheh! I am happy about hearing about your experience, as I was curious on what other people think of Canadian education. For me, it's kind of like the other way around... I agree that education here is, in a way, superior because of the myriad of resources institutions have. I guess we're really getting what we pay for as international students. It just frustrates me that a lot of students take these resources for granted, when there are students like us on the other side of the world who have to make do with what we have. There are a lot of brilliant students in the Philippines but a lot of us get set aside because of our country's status. At first, this made me really sad, but I guess it just gives us more purpose to prove ourselves in earning our credentials :)

I'm jealous though, I really wanted to enter McGill! I had to settle with a 2-year diploma program because I didn't want to go through another 4 years of undergraduate studies. :< As for my experience, they don't value as much critical thinking compared to what I was used to back in my home university. I am now a victim of over-thinking hahaha I'm not used to having to answer such straight-forward questions, it's kind of unnerving sometimes. The lessons aren't that tough for me, but it's the sheer volume of schoolwork that I have to deal with is what stresses me out. huhu

whehwhehwheh said:
Bon soir!

dbc

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/03/2016
AOR Received.
23-3-2016
Med's Done....
Feb. 2016
Hi everyone!

Just a quick question, Do I really need to fill up the Application for Temporary Resident Visa (IMM5257 – Schedule 1) even if I already have a TRV? Do I need to include the form in my application? Also, do I need to submit my passport? I quite confused, please help.

Thanks

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
Hi humdumdrum!

May I get help regarding sponsorship?
-Is it possible for me to use my uncle, who is living in Canada with his family, as my primary sponsor and my parents as secondary support in applying for a study permit? What impression do you think it will have on the visa officer? This will be my second time applying for a study permit po kasi on my first application, I wasn't granted one. And may I know your suggestions regarding this?

The reason why I am asking this is because I want to be certain already in which documents to submit so that everything will be well and won't be a hassle for me anymore unlike last time.

By the way, I am 17 years old and currently outside the Philippines - residing in UAE.

I'm glad a thread for Filipino applicants was initiated by someone. God bless!

Thank you!

Krishessss

Jan 11, 2014
Another question, sorry guys ha andaming tanong.

Regarding sa proof of funds, my dad will be my sponsor kasi, so ideally lang naman, magkano satingin niyo yun kailangan fund ng dad ko sa bank niya? Ilang million para maging kahit papano eh SAFE. Thank you.

Or sarili kong account tapos mag transfer na lang ng money yung dad ko? How much kaya para safe?

Month of May application ba masaydo ng late for september?

May alam ba kayo na colleges na satingin niyo mabilis and okay for LPN?

Thank you thank you thank you talaga.

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VFS Makati; paper)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
Hey guys!

Anyone already in McGill or Montreal? I'm trying to figure out if I should take in-campus or off-campus housing. In-campus housing is going to cost me $900 a month for a (3 1/2) single-room apartment. I don't know if this is a rip off. I also don't know anyone from Montreal so I'm clueless if I can find a good (furnished) apartment with a private bathroom that's just a walking distance from McGill engineering building.

Appreciate the tips! Salamat! :D