+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

amiel.santiago

Full Member
Feb 4, 2013
42
0
Quezon City
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2013
Med's Request
08-10-2013
Med's Done....
16-10-2013
chakaz said:
if i may ask,... if nakapunta na tau sa canada via an approved student visa or open work permit for accompanying spouse, what are the chances or ways that we could adjust to PR visa?
mas malaki ang chance mong makamove ng PR. either the holder of student visa ang mag apply ng PR nya after nyang magschool and magwork for a year or the holder of spouse visa. ang mahalaga lang naman dun is continous ka nagwowork para may source of income ka pagnag apply ka for PR.
 

hardworkinglady

Full Member
Sep 29, 2013
25
0
charmainefrances said:
Is there anybody here who applied for a student visa para sa anak while ongoing ang pr application inside canada ?

Ito kasi ang situation ko eh. I am going to try to apply for study permit for my son dyan sa pinas kaso di ko alm kung makakaffect yung pr application nmin.

May mga success stories ba sa case na ganito?

Gusto ko lng tlga mkasama na ang son ko na almost 4 years ko na hindi nayayakap :(

Thank you! :)
Hi si Noemi too ready to submit application na. Naka submit ka na ba?
 

hardworkinglady

Full Member
Sep 29, 2013
25
0
fswp_newbie said:
thanks, humdrumdum. i'm thinking of getting a certificate program from a university listed in the site you sent. everything's checked out (the program is going to last more than 6 months) my concern is that, will i be qualified for a WP even if it's going to be a certificate and not a degree? i'm looking at being able to work while study to make the most of my time since with certificate programs, there will be days where i won't have classes.

Hi si Noemi too ready to submit application na. Naka submit ka na ba?
 

hardworkinglady

Full Member
Sep 29, 2013
25
0
amiel.santiago said:
mas malaki ang chance mong makamove ng PR. either the holder of student visa ang mag apply ng PR nya after nyang magschool and magwork for a year or the holder of spouse visa. ang mahalaga lang naman dun is continous ka nagwowork para may source of income ka pagnag apply ka for PR.
Patulong naman pa anu mag prepare ng Study Plan. Wala akong idea talaga
 

Krishessss

Member
Jan 11, 2014
11
0
Hi guys, my friend and I decided to study LPN in Seneca. Mag fill out pa kami ng form for assessment. $65 siya. May part dun says na if you dont have ielts you can enroll an english subject tho we're still planning to take an ielts here in the philippines. Any feedbacks or suggestions about seneca? Thanks in advance. ;)
 

dbc

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
96
2
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/03/2016
AOR Received.
23-3-2016
Med's Done....
Feb. 2016
Hi everyone!

Need a little help from the seniors here :), I plan to apply for SP this fall intake and OWP for my husband. Do I also need to apply for SP for my daughter (5yo)? By the way, we already have multiple entry visa and we have been to Toronto last 2012 and last year December. My daughter's visa will expire this year month of October. And would cad$20,000 be sufficient na showmoney? Also, wala akong ielts, kase I have chosen to take an english exam at centennial college. Makakaapekto ba kung walang ielts? or do I really need to take the exam?
Thank you.
 

starlettedouze

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
162
23
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
07-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
dbc said:
Hi everyone!

Need a little help from the seniors here :), I plan to apply for SP this fall intake and OWP for my husband. Do I also need to apply for SP for my daughter (5yo)? By the way, we already have multiple entry visa and we have been to Toronto last 2012 and last year December. My daughter's visa will expire this year month of October. And would cad$20,000 be sufficient na showmoney? Also, wala akong ielts, kase I have chosen to take an english exam at centennial college. Makakaapekto ba kung walang ielts? or do I really need to take the exam?
Thank you.
Hi dbc, if your child is of school-age, yes you need to apply for a study permit for her.

As for proof of funds, requirement is 1 year tuition plus CAD 10K for the principal applicant, CAD 4K for spouse and CAD 3K for child. If someone will sponsor your studies (e.g. parents), then 10K+4K+3K = 17K would be sufficient. But of course more is better.

If you are able to secure a letter of acceptance without IELTS, as such in your case since you will be taking an assessment instead, that is fine. Your acceptance though would likely be conditional but if you are able to show that you will satisfy the condition upon arrival, you are good to go.

Just to share, I have applied for a study permit with OWP for my spouse and SP as well for my daughter. Our POF is CAD 18,100K (since my mother will be sponsoring my studies and will provide accommodation too) and I will be taking an english assessment upon arrival since I haven't taken the academic IELTS yet. Got our visa approval today for all 3 of us :)

Hope this helps :)
 

starlettedouze

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
162
23
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
07-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
hardworkinglady said:
Patulong naman pa anu mag prepare ng Study Plan. Wala akong idea talaga
Hi hardworkinglady, here's the framework I used in creating my study plan:

1) Education
2) Work Experience (if any)
3) Study Plan (purpose of study, how it would benefit you, relevance to your previous education/current work, emphasize how your studies will help you when you return to the Philippines)
4) Finances
 

dbc

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
96
2
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/03/2016
AOR Received.
23-3-2016
Med's Done....
Feb. 2016
starlettedouze said:
Hi dbc, if your child is of school-age, yes you need to apply for a study permit for her.

As for proof of funds, requirement is 1 year tuition plus CAD 10K for the principal applicant, CAD 4K for spouse and CAD 3K for child. If someone will sponsor your studies (e.g. parents), then 10K+4K+3K = 17K would be sufficient. But of course more is better.

If you are able to secure a letter of acceptance without IELTS, as such in your case since you will be taking an assessment instead, that is fine. Your acceptance though would likely be conditional but if you are able to show that you will satisfy the condition upon arrival, you are good to go.

Just to share, I have applied for a study permit with OWP for my spouse and SP as well for my daughter. Our POF is CAD 18,100K (since my mother will be sponsoring my studies and will provide accommodation too) and I will be taking an english assessment upon arrival since I haven't taken the academic IELTS yet. Got our visa approval today for all 3 of us :)

Hope this helps :)
Hi starlettedouze, thanks for the response. This will surely help me.:)
Wow!! happy for you!! Yes my kid is of school age already, and as of my tuition and accommodation, my brother will sponsor it. Just a quick question, how were you able to acquire a LOA without the ielts and assessment? and What school? (please correct me if misunderstood your statement:) Because at Centennial they really required me to take the assessment during my visit last December, so I took the exam, now I am waiting for the LOA. I think they are just starting giving out LOA this month for the fall intake.
 

iamvenus

Hero Member
Feb 5, 2014
437
194
Category........
FAM
humdrumdum said:
Hi all,

it's been a while since I've gotten to visit this thread! Winter term has just started (and workload is light again, for the time being) so I hope I'll be able to help you guys out :)
Hi Humdrumdum! I am planning to apply for a student visa pretty soon. Actually, once my IELTS result is out. In all honesty, I am amazed with your timeline. I have already gathered the forms needed for the application but I need to know what are the other documents needed that are not on the checklist. I am sure about including an NBI clearance. Did you also include a study plan, TOR or diploma, etc? I do hope you'll reply to my post. Thanks ahead! =)
 

starlettedouze

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
162
23
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
07-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
dbc said:
Hi starlettedouze, thanks for the response. This will surely help me.:)
Wow!! happy for you!! Yes my kid is of school age already, and as of my tuition and accommodation, my brother will sponsor it. Just a quick question, how were you able to acquire a LOA without the ielts and assessment? and What school? (please correct me if misunderstood your statement:) Because at Centennial they really required me to take the assessment during my visit last December, so I took the exam, now I am waiting for the LOA. I think they are just starting giving out LOA this month for the fall intake.
Thanks, dbc :) My LOA from Camosun College is conditional because I am yet to take the assessment. When I filed my application, I included supporting docs to show the VO that I will be able to satisfy the requirement - e.g proof that the schools I attended here use English as medium of instruction. I guess it varies among the schools. In Camosun kasi in case your assessment scores aren't satisfactory, they will require you to take English classes even before you will be able to enroll in your program of choice (which means additional gastos for the student din).
 

Krishessss

Member
Jan 11, 2014
11
0
Hi guys, juts want to ask if you know anything about CVE (Commonwealth Visa Expert) and what do you think about this consultancy? thank you in advance! :)
 

humdrumdum

Hero Member
Jul 19, 2013
202
11
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hi iamvenus!

I still find it surreal sometimes that I'm already here studying haha! Hope everything will work out for you too :)

I don't know if it's the same for your school but usually schools don't issue acceptance letters until you have met the English requirement. I am guessing that you are required to take the IELTS for admission, so I think it's best to apply once you have a signed hard copy of your admission letter, and not just your IELTS result. If you have it already, then you're ready :D

I made a checklist before, I'll re-paste it here :) It's up to you to follow this but these were all accepted when I lodged my application. I wanted to be thorough so that mapabilis sana ang application ko, hope this helps! (Don't worry about original copies because they returned everything that I sent them.)

***​

Student Permit Checklist for Paper-based Applications at a VAC

1. Things on the Official Checklist (arranged in the ff. order)
-Valid Passport: if you have been issued US, EU, UK, Australia, or New Zealand visas, you can attach the passport/s containing these.
-Manager's Check for Visa fee: write your full name and birthday at the back
-2pcs. 35mmx45mm ID picture: write your full name and birthday at the back of each
-IMM5383E - Document Checklist
-Barcode page of IMM1294E - Study Permit Application (will not appear unless validated)
-The rest of IMM1294E
-IMM5645 - Family Information
-IMM5257B - TRV Application, Validated
-Other IMM forms if applicable (Common-law Union, Custodian, Authorized Representative)
-Original Letter of Acceptance/Letter for Study Permit from Canadian school (with authorized signature)
-CAQ, for schools in Quebec only
-Proof of Financial Support: if sponsored by a party other than yourself - original signed Letter of Financial Support; bank statements from the past 4 months (at least); bank certificate addressed to Embassy of Canada, Manila; official receipt of tuition payment; proof of accommodation (if renting an apartment - attach an unsigned Residential Tenancy Agreement, if on-campus housing - proof of payment/reservation for your room. If you will be living with a relative, no need for this); tuition fee schedule
-Personal Study Plan: formal letter format and make it as straight-forward as possible, the VO's have hundreds of applications to screen other than yours! Ideal length = mini-skirt: short enough to be "engaging", long enough to cover the essentials ;) As much as possible, keep it within a page.

2. Your Personal Records (originals, unless specified)
-Identification: Birth Certificate, NBI Clearance for Travel Abroad purpose
-Education: HS Diploma, HS Permanent Record, College Diploma, College TOR, IELTS/TOEFL Score Report
-Employment: Certificate of Employment, company profile and/or brochure, pay slips; if you have close ties with your employer (i.e., family business, self-employed), you can also attach photocopies of SEC and BIR Registration, Business Permit, Income Tax Returns

3. Correspondence with your School in Canada (does not need to be official)
-Acknowledgement/Receipt of Application
-Added to Waitlist, if applicable
-Offer of Acceptance
-Program Matrix / Course Curriculum

4. OPTIONAL: Personal Records of EACH Immediate Family Member (photocopies/scans would do)
-Passport
-Birth certificate
-Parents' marriage certificate
-Valid Canadian TRV, if you have one already
-For IMMEDIATE family members who are in Canada already: Permanent Resident Card if applicable, Valid Study and/or Work Permit, School and/or Company ID, Social Insurance Number (if employed)
*I did it anyway since I have a sister in Canada to clear things up*

Other Reminders:
*Always use Adobe Reader to view all CIC documents, you might not be able to edit/see all the details properly.
*No need to prepare a set of photocopies

iamvenus said:
Hi Humdrumdum! I am planning to apply for a student visa pretty soon. Actually, once my IELTS result is out. In all honesty, I am amazed with your timeline. I have already gathered the forms needed for the application but I need to know what are the other documents needed that are not on the checklist. I am sure about including an NBI clearance. Did you also include a study plan, TOR or diploma, etc? I do hope you'll reply to my post. Thanks ahead! =)
 

humdrumdum

Hero Member
Jul 19, 2013
202
11
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
@hardworkinglady:
Hi!

Here's a rough outline of what I wrote on my study plan:
  • Why you're going to study in Canada
  • How is it related to your educational background and/or future goals
  • Reassurance that you are going to Canada JUST TO STUDY. Realistically, we all know we might work once we're here, but you need to convince them that that is not your intention.
  • Support this by stating your reasons for coming back in the Philippines. What are the existing ties that you have here?


@Krishessss:

Hello! I have heard of Seneca but given that I'm in BC, I don't really know anyone there... Generally, colleges are okay if you want to get your foot in the door. Most employers understand if you have a degree from your home country but went here to just get a certificate or a degree from a college. It's a quick way to get Canadian credentials but for some schools (like BCIT huhu), workload can be pretty tough. It's usually course-specific but since you more or less finish in 2 years, they usually fill your workload to the brim. Right now, I'm taking 40 units in my second term because my program finishes in 2 years. I've heard from nursing students that it's also pretty tough for them (especially if your school has a renowned nursing program). However, if you already have a past background, it should be much easier for you.

If you decide to permanently stay in Canada eventually, you might want to invest in continuing education. Diplomas are useful for entry-level jobs but most people do not want that for the rest of their life. A diploma will rarely get you there, and employers do not usually consider foreign credentials, kahit galing ka pang UP, Ateneo, o La Salle. If you want to get a higher ranking job, you will eventually need to get a Canadian degree :)

I suggest to take the IELTS instead. Taking extra classes in Canada just for English can be quite costly, because you have to pay for your living expenses aside from tuition, when you can enroll in review classes in the Philippines for the fraction of the cost. All I actually did was to download free reviewer sets online and dedicated about two weeks full-time on reviewing. It really helps but it does require a lot of your time and effort. :)
 

iamvenus

Hero Member
Feb 5, 2014
437
194
Category........
FAM
Thaaank yooou so much for the prompt reply Humdrumdum! :D I am still waiting for my LOA from the school. I am so scared applying for visa on my own. I am used to my dad doing the applications himself. Did you really give them the original copies of your diploma? Do you think I can give photocopies with notarization? It's just me being paranoid about these things. I might not get them back. Hahaha! Again, thank you so much! :D

humdrumdum said:
Hi iamvenus!

I still find it surreal sometimes that I'm already here studying haha! Hope everything will work out for you too :)

I don't know if it's the same for your school but usually schools don't issue acceptance letters until you have met the English requirement. I am guessing that you are required to take the IELTS for admission, so I think it's best to apply once you have a signed hard copy of your admission letter, and not just your IELTS result. If you have it already, then you're ready :D

I made a checklist before, I'll re-paste it here :) It's up to you to follow this but these were all accepted when I lodged my application. I wanted to be thorough so that mapabilis sana ang application ko, hope this helps! (Don't worry about original copies because they returned everything that I sent them.)

***​

Student Permit Checklist for Paper-based Applications at a VAC

1. Things on the Official Checklist (arranged in the ff. order)
-Valid Passport: if you have been issued US, EU, UK, Australia, or New Zealand visas, you can attach the passport/s containing these.
-Manager's Check for Visa fee: write your full name and birthday at the back
-2pcs. 35mmx45mm ID picture: write your full name and birthday at the back of each
-IMM5383E - Document Checklist
-Barcode page of IMM1294E - Study Permit Application (will not appear unless validated)
-The rest of IMM1294E
-IMM5645 - Family Information
-IMM5257B - TRV Application, Validated
-Other IMM forms if applicable (Common-law Union, Custodian, Authorized Representative)
-Original Letter of Acceptance/Letter for Study Permit from Canadian school (with authorized signature)
-CAQ, for schools in Quebec only
-Proof of Financial Support: if sponsored by a party other than yourself - original signed Letter of Financial Support; bank statements from the past 4 months (at least); bank certificate addressed to Embassy of Canada, Manila; official receipt of tuition payment; proof of accommodation (if renting an apartment - attach an unsigned Residential Tenancy Agreement, if on-campus housing - proof of payment/reservation for your room. If you will be living with a relative, no need for this); tuition fee schedule
-Personal Study Plan: formal letter format and make it as straight-forward as possible, the VO's have hundreds of applications to screen other than yours! Ideal length = mini-skirt: short enough to be "engaging", long enough to cover the essentials ;) As much as possible, keep it within a page.

2. Your Personal Records (originals, unless specified)
-Identification: Birth Certificate, NBI Clearance for Travel Abroad purpose
-Education: HS Diploma, HS Permanent Record, College Diploma, College TOR, IELTS/TOEFL Score Report
-Employment: Certificate of Employment, company profile and/or brochure, pay slips; if you have close ties with your employer (i.e., family business, self-employed), you can also attach photocopies of SEC and BIR Registration, Business Permit, Income Tax Returns

3. Correspondence with your School in Canada (does not need to be official)
-Acknowledgement/Receipt of Application
-Added to Waitlist, if applicable
-Offer of Acceptance
-Program Matrix / Course Curriculum

4. OPTIONAL: Personal Records of EACH Immediate Family Member (photocopies/scans would do)
-Passport
-Birth certificate
-Parents' marriage certificate
-Valid Canadian TRV, if you have one already
-For IMMEDIATE family members who are in Canada already: Permanent Resident Card if applicable, Valid Study and/or Work Permit, School and/or Company ID, Social Insurance Number (if employed)
*I did it anyway since I have a sister in Canada to clear things up*

Other Reminders:
*Always use Adobe Reader to view all CIC documents, you might not be able to edit/see all the details properly.
*No need to prepare a set of photocopies