+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any thoughts on this? opinions from both ends; Sponsor and Sponsored Spouse

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek said:
This creates a different potential for abuse - a sponsor who puts up with abuse from the applicant because they are afraid of losing economic support from the spouse after deportation. Ultimately, it will be the child in such a situation who pays the heaviest price for these cases.
In this case there was no abuse. They just amicably decided to get divorced. However, because they did not stay together, he lost his green card and got deported. On a case by case basis, you would look at that there is a child and the child needs two parents.

There is already a lot of potential for abuse with these new rules. I guess we'll see how it works out.

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
The new rules after 25 Oct just only 2 years stay together ? In my opinion it is too short time , it must 10 years at least so for people who are genuine can get their applications approved faster. I don't mind to sign must stay forever with my wife until dead separate us.
I hope Visa Officers in Vegreville read my statement . I hate for the applications processing waiting time too long.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Two years makes sense in regards to infatuation. How long a person is infatuated varies, but disappears by 18 months in virtually all cases. If you have a scenario of a poor Canadian duped into marrying a foreign, the thinking is before two years is up, the blinders will come off. That will give the Canadian time to separate and notify immigration the relationship has ended. It's also reduced the amount of time (maybe, we'll see how it works) the Canadian is subject to repay any social assistance the PR uses. Even if the PR waits until two years and one day to leave, that's only one year of possible repayment for the Canadian versus three years before.

I doubt it will really matter in most scam cases. Reports of abuse among new PRs will jump. Separation after two years will jump. Getting help and shelter in real abuse cases will become harder. Thats my forecast.

figlove2010

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
CAN'T WAIT:) *cross fingers*
@ amikety.... I Totally agree with you ...

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are all kinds of potential abuse scenarios that apply to this change in the law. But there is no perfect solution to the problem of marriage fraud. However, since this is what we have now, it's important for both the sponsor and applicant to protect themselves from potential abuse in any form.

People are still going to try their hand at marriage fraud. This change won't end it. The exception to the 2 year rule is abuse. What kind of abuse? Physical? Mental? They don't define the type of abuse, just abuse. The 2 year rule can leave both the applicant and sponsor vulnerable. It's obvious why the applicant is vulnerable but the sponsor is vulnerable to untrue claims of abuse. The new stories we are going to hear about in the news are not of the sponsor being left a week after their spouse landed, but of having to face criminal charges for abuse. It's a catch 22 really. Before they were devastated because the spouse left them. Now their spouse leaves them and claims they were abused and the sponsor faces both criminal and immigration legal action. How do you handle that? I would recommend both parties keep a diary from the day of landing. Seriously. I don't care how in love you think you are or how well you think you know someone. Just do it to be on the safe side. Write about the good times and bad. Hopefully it's not something you will ever have to use to help prove that you didn't abuse your spouse and it's certainly not the only thing you will need to defend against this type of allegation. But it's something. I'd keep receipts from things you did together in it too, going to movies, taking trips, pics of being at the park.

Think about it this way. This is a useful tool for everyone. Couples who are genuine and never need to worry about charges of abuse can use the diary to help remove the conditions from their PR after 2 years. And it might be fun for them to create a memory book like that. So it works both ways. It can be a tool of protection or a tool to get rid of the red tape at the end of 2 years.

Better to be safe than sorry.

mevisbleek

Star Member
Jul 18, 2009
sunsun said:
The new rules after 25 Oct just only 2 years stay together ? In my opinion it is too short time , it must 10 years at least so for people who are genuine can get their applications approved faster. I don't mind to sign must stay forever with my wife until dead separate us.
I hope Visa Officers in Vegreville read my statement . I hate for the applications processing waiting time too long.
Boss take it easy. 10years is too much please. :D

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
rjessome said:
There are all kinds of potential abuse scenarios that apply to this change in the law. But there is no perfect solution to the problem of marriage fraud. However, since this is what we have now, it's important for both the sponsor and applicant to protect themselves from potential abuse in any form.

People are still going to try their hand at marriage fraud. This change won't end it. The exception to the 2 year rule is abuse. What kind of abuse? Physical? Mental? They don't define the type of abuse, just abuse. The 2 year rule can leave both the applicant and sponsor vulnerable. It's obvious why the applicant is vulnerable but the sponsor is vulnerable to untrue claims of abuse. The new stories we are going to hear about in the news are not of the sponsor being left a week after their spouse landed, but of having to face criminal charges for abuse. It's a catch 22 really. Before they were devastated because the spouse left them. Now their spouse leaves them and claims they were abused and the sponsor faces both criminal and immigration legal action. How do you handle that? I would recommend both parties keep a diary from the day of landing. Seriously. I don't care how in love you think you are or how well you think you know someone. Just do it to be on the safe side. Write about the good times and bad. Hopefully it's not something you will ever have to use to help prove that you didn't abuse your spouse and it's certainly not the only thing you will need to defend against this type of allegation. But it's something. I'd keep receipts from things you did together in it too, going to movies, taking trips, pics of being at the park.

Think about it this way. This is a useful tool for everyone. Couples who are genuine and never need to worry about charges of abuse can use the diary to help remove the conditions from their PR after 2 years. And it might be fun for them to create a memory book like that. So it works both ways. It can be a tool of protection or a tool to get rid of the red tape at the end of 2 years.

Better to be safe than sorry.
CIC's website outlines "qualifying" types of abuse and neglect. It might be new. Just read it this morning.

Your idea of a diary is good, although I doubt most will do it for that purpose. When you're in love what can go wrong? Plus a legitimately abused spiuse keeping a record- if the abuser found it, it could cause the abuser to snap. Regardless, I like the idea. If nothing else, you'll have a priceless keepsake to remember the beginning of your relationship/marriage. I kept one when my husband and I first met. Those memories are recorded forever! :)

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
sunsun said:
10 years??? is that a joke? Canada needs to balance the need for immigrants with the need to make sure that the system is not abused. With this proposal you will drive a LOT of potential immigrants to U.K, U.S, Aus and N.Z. 10 years is just too long to make any plans and say after 8 years a marriage fails and your life is now inside Canada with no ties to a place you left almost a decade ago.

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
So you are afraid your marriage will fail ? What do you think why do people want to get married? Just for fun? If you are really love someone and promise in front of God to take care your husband/wife even the worse cases then you do not need to laugh... It is not funny...
What I am trying to say is CIC takes so long time to process our applications and if they wants to prevent Fraud or marriage by convenience so let the system tough...So for our marriage is genuine then CIC will process faster....
Do you think people can abuse the immigration system if the law is tough ?
If you laugh so it means you just want your marriage shorter or afraid to fail...So you do not need marriage , just common law...

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
sunsun said:
Do you think people can abuse the immigration system if the law is tough ?
Absolutely, people can and will abuse the system. Likely, we cannot even envision the way in which they will do so, but I'm sure they will.

I've read about so many cases of clear sponsorship fraud in which CBSA does nothing about them, I'm sure that this will least penalize the very people most likely to abuse the system - those who do it strictly as a financial transaction.

Of course, I can't say this is fundamentally wrong. Marriage has traditionally been an economic and political tool. We imbue it with romantic intent these days, but that's not always the case for everyone (e.g., arranged marriages) nor has it been so historically.

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
@Mevisbleek and R151NG5UN
In front of your guests in your wedding ceremony , you should say " Hey, I am Not Sure my marriage will success or not , for me 10 years marriage is a joke or too long....I just want a short marriage... Just for fun and just to get PR " After that " Bye Bye...."

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
sunsun said:
@ Mevisbleek and R151NG5UN
In front of your guests in your wedding ceremony , you should say " Hey, I am Not Sure my marriage will success or not , for me 10 years marriage is a joke or too long....I just want a short marriage... Just for fun and just to get PR " After that " Bye Bye...."
How dare you, you are 1 presumptuous little person. I married in good faith that it will be forever. My point was more of an economic and viable thought. With your scenario it is highly likely that me and my wife would have decided that the U.K would have been a better settlement, which I am sure in a lot of other cases couples would say exactly the same thing. 10 years would not only stop immigration it would take out QUALIFIED CANADIAN CITIZENS who settle with their partners overseas. I suggest you wake up and smell the coffee.

figlove2010

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
CAN'T WAIT:) *cross fingers*
@ Sunsun...OMGeeze is it that serious???...we are all entitle to our own opinions here.... i dont think any marriages need any other form of contract like a 10 year one to prove a relationship is true and full of love...if two persons are in a fraudulent marriage,they will stick together, just for being together sake...to get whatever they can, if its money or just the Canadian benefits...and you will be surprise that these are the same persons that will swear up and down that their marriages are real..and would want to go over the top to prove it.. ::)

...this is not a place for lash outs....

:D

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
How do you know the qualified citizens by birth will relocate to other countries? How do you explain marriage related to economic and politic?

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
I have given you the scenario. If a person has to wait 10 years to gain Citizenship in Canada or the other partner has to wait whatever it is for the U.K (5 years) then obviously since there is not much to choose between the U.K and Canada, then the couple will choose the more welcoming country. Your scenario is ridiculous, uneducated and unworkable. I guarantee that a 10 year ruling would never come in to effect because it is so draconian, prohibitive and unworkable.

What happens in 5 or 6 years if you want to sponsor a parent who has recently become a widow? Oh that's right under your plan you would not be able too.
So much for bringing families together eh?