+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any RQ since july 2014?

Raman_Ram

Star Member
May 25, 2009
I am not seeing much of RQ these days...anyone recvd or know of any for applications since June/July 2014?
If so for what possible reasons?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There was a new RQ created in July 2014.
Yes, it is still being issued.
No one can say exactly what the list of triggers is, but these are good bets:

Applying with less than 1095 days of physical presence,
Use of a suspect residential address,
Non Computer Based notes in FOSS, Warning or Note(s) in GCMS indicating a concern. (Usually security-related),
Photograph and/or signature on the application do not resemble photograph and/or signature on identity document.

Not sure what else.

These are (informed) guesses. But still guesses.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
eileenf said:
There was a new RQ created in July 2014.
Yes, it is still being issued.
No one can say exactly what the list of triggers is, but these are good bets:

Applying with less than 1095 days of physical presence,
Use of a suspect residential address,
Non Computer Based notes in FOSS, Warning or Note(s) in GCMS indicating a concern. (Usually security-related),
Photograph and/or signature on the application do not resemble photograph and/or signature on identity document.

Not sure what else.

These are (informed) guesses. But still guesses.
my photos matches all documents however, my passport has different signature and canadian driver's license has different signature. Will it affect my application?
Which signature should I use?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
my photos matches all documents however, my passport has different signature and canadian driver's license has different signature. Will it affect my application?
Which signature should I use?
I can't say if it will affect your application. Assuming that they're all your signatures, and look plausibly like they were done by the same person, it's probably fine.

But what do you mean when you say that your documents have different signatures?

Of course, each document that you sign will not have the exact same signature, and everyone's handwriting has variations depending on the day and the mood. The problem (might) come in when one document looks like it was signed by a 5 year child and the other signed by Mahatma Gandhi and the other signed by Donald Trump (i.e. all in totally different hand-writings and styles).

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
eileenf said:
I can't say if it will affect your application. Assuming that they're all your signatures, and look plausibly like they were done by the same person, it's probably fine.

But what do you mean when you say that your documents have different signatures?

Of course, each document that you sign will not have the exact same signature, and everyone's handwriting has variations depending on the day and the mood. The problem (might) come in when one document looks like it was signed by a 5 year child and the other signed by Mahatma Gandhi and the other signed by Donald Trump (i.e. all in totally different hand-writings and styles).
My passport was issued in 2012 and i used my complete name as the signature(18 characters). When in 2013, my driver's license was issued, i started using my short signature(6 characters)

Also I just noticed that the last 5 characters in my passport matches 5 characters of my drivers license.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My assumption is that this has to do more with style than with the relatively common practice of shortening one's name.

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
Also I just noticed that the last 5 characters in my passport matches 5 characters of my drivers license.
thecoolguysam, you have changed almost everything about urself other than your organs :p hope you get to achieve your Avatar soon!

Sorry, I don't have any feedback on difference in signature as I thought to keep them same after the name change...

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
sapguru said:
thecoolguysam, you have changed almost everything about urself other than your organs :p hope you get to achieve your Avatar soon!

Sorry, I don't have any feedback on difference in signature as I thought to keep them same after the name change...
;D

Raman_Ram

Star Member
May 25, 2009
Thanks eileenf

My question was to gauge whether CIC is still indiscriminately issuing RQs like for 50% of the applications like they used to do for applications sent prior to July 2014.

@sapguru, just checked. Indeed i see a couple of RQs but can also see obvious reasons for RQs like long absences after landing, coinciding valid work permits from other countries, common names and the likes.

I see that you got FP request as well? Is your name a common name to trigger a FP request? I know they ask for one if the name is too common like Shaikh Mohamed or Raj Singh or John Goodman.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Eileenf,

do I see mention of Mahatma Gandhi and Donald Trump in the same phrase.... Lord Have Mercy...
I think I need my smelling salts...

PS just some harmless Friday banter :)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Raman_Ram said:
My question was to gauge whether CIC is still indiscriminately issuing RQs like for 50% of the applications like they used to do for applications sent prior to July 2014.
The issuance of RQ was never near 50%, not even at the peak of the initial OB 407 rollout in 2012.

While it is difficult to discern accurate statistics about the rate of RQ, recognizing that 2012 was undoubtedly the year during which the highest rate of RQ was issued, best estimates suggest a rate of less than 25% overall for that year even.

In 2013 the rate appears to have dropped below 15%.

But the main thing is that RQ is issued based on actual criteria, not indiscriminately. The percentages have little impact on whether any given individual will be issued RQ. If the individual's circumstances trigger one of the fixed criteria, RQ will be issued. If the individual's circumstances are a factor considered subject to context and other circumstances, the risk of RQ is elevated but the actual risk itself is still tied to the actual circumstances in the applicant's case.

This is not to deny that in 2012 CIC was not employing overly broad criteria. They obviously were. Thus sweeping into the RQ net a huge number of applicants for whom there really was no reason to question the applicant's residency. This is not to deny that even still, some of the criteria employed by CIC is probably broad enough to continue sweeping many into the RQ net for whom, likewise, there is little or no reason to question their residency.

We have quite a bit of historical information about what criteria was employed in decisions to issue RQ, including the "reasons to question residency" initially rolled out in an Operational Bulletin in 2005 and employed (subject to variations in more targeted factors) until the rollout of OB 407 in 2012, and the formal triage criteria that was in the initial OB 407 version of the File Requirements Checklist. Unfortunately, however, beyond some less than direct information about clarifications and modifications to the criteria. we can only extrapolate and speculate about what the criteria is now. Probably largely the same, but how it is applied is a big unknown. (Example: period of unemployment probably still a factor, but not a definite trigger, and we do not know what other factors tip this toward RQ or away.)

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
Raman_Ram said:
I see that you got FP request as well? Is your name a common name to trigger a FP request? I know they ask for one if the name is too common like Shaikh Mohamed or Raj Singh or John Goodman.
My name is not common when First and Last name is combined. I am just a prey!

Did any one get update after submission of documents for the RQ issued in 2014?

lenium

Dec 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I received an RQ at the time of my interview after the citizenship test. The reason for that was having an incorrect stamp in my passport. The CBSA officer had stampped my passport at March 03, instead of March 13, and my application date was March 06. Any idea how long it takes for them to process the new RQs?

Cheers