+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new students travelled or travelling, who's visa was approved before 18th March.

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
Thank you for the kind words. Yes I agree, the only thing we can do now is hope that this situation passes by quickly because September is fast approaching.
True! I also have a lot at stake and if I'm not able to go by mid September then I will lose out on a potential part-time job opportunity in my field of interest. My spouse is also in the middle of few interviews which are entirely dependent on the fact that he joins by mid of September. Hoping for some miracle that things get better soon

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
True! I also have a lot at stake and if I'm not able to go by mid September then I will lose out on a potential part-time job opportunity in my field of interest. My spouse is also in the middle of few interviews which are entirely dependent on the fact that he joins by mid of September. Hoping for some miracle that things get better soon

Yes there are so many things at stake for everyone. The main issue is the possibility of being denied entry into Canada after travelling / being denied boarding at the airport in Delhi, for the reason that travel is non-essential due to online classes.

My point is, if IRCC puts this up clearly, we'll be in a situation to plan better and minimize the losses.

That's all I'm asking from them, instead of CBSA saying something over the phone that's not put up on the IRCC website. Because at the port of entry, it's CBSA that decides whether or not we are allowed inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedi_Returns

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
Yes there are so many things at stake for everyone. The main issue is the possibility of being denied entry into Canada after travelling / being denied boarding at the airport in Delhi, for the reason that travel is non-essential due to online classes.

My point is, if IRCC puts this up clearly, we'll be in a situation to plan better and minimize the losses.

That's all I'm asking from them, instead of CBSA saying something over the phone that's not put up on the IRCC website. Because at the port of entry, it's CBSA that decides whether or not we are allowed inside.
Yeah agreed, I hope they put it up clearly about what happens if you have online classes and your visa was approved before 18th March.

Uti

Aug 9, 2019
In my opinion they are already aware of it. CBSA cleary says non essential and non optional. In our case online classes are optional so even if they turn back someone they are covered. I think IRCC is avoiding it allowing CBSA to make the final decision and they allow people from least affected countries. Vietnam has done pretty well in handling the virus. Just my thoughts only. Also current restrictions will expire end of July hopefully we can expect some good news by then. We still have one full month before classes even if we fly in August.

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
In my opinion they are already aware of it. CBSA cleary says non essential and non optional. In our case online classes are optional so even if they turn back someone they are covered. I think IRCC is avoiding it allowing CBSA to make the final decision and they allow people from least affected countries. Vietnam has done pretty well in handling the virus. Just my thoughts only. Also current restrictions will expire end of July hopefully we can expect some good news by then. We still have one full month before classes even if we fly in August.
Yes, you are correct. We still have a month to go, hopefully things will change for the better.

They are right on their part by not admitting people from countries where the virus has hit hard. But at times like these, emotions have taken a precedence over logic and that makes everything not working in our favour seem like injustice, which it actually might not be. :)

Flowering

Jul 21, 2020
Hi guys!
I'm currently in Canada(Vancouver), and I live here in homestay for almost 3 years.
Summer 2020 is my last semester(diploma program).
I have a valid study permit, visa and MSP till the end of Nov 2020, issued before March 18th.
After finishing my program in August, I plan to visit my parents in Ukraine for family reasons.
In October I plan to return to Vancouver to apply for PGWP online inside Canada.
In theory, my plans work. However, by leaving Canada in August, I might be asked why you left and why it is essential to return to Canada while there is an option to apply for your PGWP outside Canada. Also, once I complete my studies, I'm no longer a student, and there is no letter to support my enrollment. This is a very difficult decision and I ask for advice.

Last edited:

rahulshah9986

Feb 11, 2020
Non-optional and non-discretionary purpose of travel

Students who have a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020 may be exempt from the travel restrictions if they travel for a non-discretionary or non-optional purpose. While many Canadian college and university campus locations are closed, classes are generally continuing online. Travel will be deemed discretionary or non-discretionary depending on individual circumstances. IRCC case processing officers will not assess whether the applicant is exempt from the travel restrictions when processing a study permit application. The decision as to the purpose of travel will rest with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers.

Border services officers will assess the circumstances surrounding the student’s travel and consider, for example, whether any of the following apply:

• they are established, residing and studying in Canada. If they are established in Canada, their return is non-discretionary
  • they are expected to begin studying upon arrival after completing their quarantine
  • their presence in Canada is necessary for their continued participation in the program (such as in laboratories or workshops)
  • pursuing online studies is not an option for their school or program or not possible from their home country (for example, due to internet restrictions or bandwidth limitation)
  • the semester has been cancelled or the person will begin studying later in the year

A border services officer will make a final determination on the foreign national’s eligibility to enter Canada at the port of entry.

rahulshah9986

Feb 11, 2020
Letter from the university is must to prove that your presence is essential in Canada. This mostly applies to research students who need to work in laboratories and in workshops and does not apply to course work student whos studies can be done online

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Letter from the university is must to prove that your presence is essential in Canada. This mostly applies to research students who need to work in laboratories and in workshops and does not apply to course work student whos studies can be done online

It seems in India, Air India is denying boarding to even those students who have the support letter from their university. This is so sad.

Air India should not be allowed to accept commercial ticket bookings if other airlines are not allowed. Why can't we have have the same rule applying for everyone?

If Air India is operating evacuation flights, then it should strictly be limited to evacuation only. Not be extended to commercial bookings and then denying students. And they should certainly not be allowed to monopolise air travel from India like this.

longvh

Star Member
Sep 4, 2018
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Just got the reply from IRCC for my question relating to travel for International Student, together with spouse (OWP) and children (OSP)
Hope this will help (follow the order 1/5 to 6/5).
The answer is depend on your luck but in most cases (students from my country), they will allow us to enter with reasonable quarantine and travel plans.
And please wait patiently for these milestones: July 31st, Aug 15, Aug 31.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Just got the reply from IRCC for my question relating to travel for International Student, together with spouse (OWP) and children (OSP)
The answer is depend on your luck but in most cases (students from my country), they will allow us to enter with reasonable quarantine and travel plans.

Thanks a lot for posting this here! Really very grateful for the information.

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019

Thanks for sharing. Yes, looks like it entirely depends on our luck. Doesn't look like Canada will ease the entry restrictions anytime soon with the cases on rise.

Peter88

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
I so agree with everything that you've said. It's after all so much money in tuition that we pay. International students alone bring in nearly $21 billion it seems every year. Just imagine!

And I'm in huge stress over all the other things that you mentioned like booking the flight ticket, housing, quarantine, etc. because I don't even know whether I'm travelling in the first place. So how are we supposed to proceed?

The latest IRCC news release also addresses only those whose permit applications are in process now - it does not address those people who were approved before 18th but are in confusion regarding travel due to this essential/non-essential rule.

Of course, it's absolutely not that simple and easy to study abroad. How I wish we could get back to pre-covid times. This situation has just compounded our difficulties. :(
I am yet to understand the logic of prioritising the permit applications, if they are not allowed to enter Canada.

Peter88

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Hi guys, is there anyone who is planning to travel in August/September from India? I haven't booked the tickets or anything because of uncertainty but it would be very difficult to manage to study after midnight especially if you are working during the daytime. Have there been instances of entry refusals after reaching Canada?
Yes Buddy!

I am planning my travel in August/September. I got admitted to University of Guelph for MEng Program. And we can be in touch if you wish to.

Reactions: Jedi_Returns