+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
For now, I don't think there is such a plan announced. For now there is no change to family members, only for Canadians and PRs (well and exempt people as well). For everybody else, rules stay in place. Furthermore those changes are expected for early July, so even if further announcements are made (and I expect some for sure) in June, they won't be in place until further this year.
Another source :

Seules les personnes qui ont été immunisés par un des quatre vaccins homologués par Santé Canada pourront échapper au séjour obligatoire dans un hôtel reconnu par la santé publique pour se placer en quarantaine, à savoir Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca et Johnson & Johnson.

Les citoyens canadiens et les résidents permanents sont touchés par cette mesure, tout comme les travailleurs essentiels, les étudiants étrangers, les nouveaux immigrants, ainsi que la famille immédiate (père ou mère par exemple) des citoyens et résidents, même s’ils sont étrangers.
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1800061/confinement-distanciation-pandemie-coronavirus-frontieres

another one here:

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2021/06/09/voyages--fin-de-la-quarantaine-obligatoire-des-juillet

Reactions: trickski

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015

I guess I'll wait for the formal announcement as I find it quite confusing why such an emphasis on Canadian citizens and PR in many parts of their announcements if anyone entering Canada is exempt. Some news article refer to Canadians and PRs, some mention essential workers, some exempt, and those two french articles mention for one everything except tourists and the other almost everyone (only tourists that are not direct family members would not qualify)...

I'll wait until they give us the date and the specifics of their plan before making plans...

Reactions: his*marty

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think we are mostly saying the same thing - yes, they'll likely start with those approved in Canada. And with major trading partners with health systems/regulators in which Canadian counterparts have more trust.

But I repeat that someone who gets the Pfizer vaccine in some other country should NOT think that means the same thing as having got the Pfizer vaccine in Canada - the issue will also be who issued the vaccination certificate, which means which country they're coming from.

And I emphasize again: one shouldn't confuse the Canadian drug approval process with the WHO 'approval' - Canada's drug approval process is almost entirely focussed on what drugs may be administered in Canada. (I don't believe there even is a process for a company to 'apply for approval' of a vaccine separate from applying to have it approved for use within Canada)

WHO approval provides one way that Canada could approach for travel purposes - but it is not obligatory, and not fully defined in terms of documentation (eg vaccine passports or certificates) anyway.

So yes - it will take time and Canada will start with the vaccines approved in Canada (which also happen to be those used in USA and EU), and also with countries whose vaccine documentation is considered 'acceptable.' And a lot more caution / less haste for countries using different vaccines, ongoing covid breakouts, and more variants (because vaccine effectiveness not yet clear).

I have no info on whether sputnik or sinovac will be 'accepted'; I don't think it will be as simple as 'which vaccine' anyway, for the reasons above - the issuing authority of the vaccine certificate could matter more. (Of course, right now there's a high overlap of 'countries whose regulators/officials/systems we trust', 'countries we have important economic ties with', and 'countries using the same vaccine as us' anyway.)
Whether you receive the Pfizer vaccine in Canada or abroad they will be treated the same as long as it is the true Pfizer vaccine.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think you can expect the opening process to be very slow. Canada isn't opening it's doors except to likely the US vaccinated. There are still big covid issues in South America and Asia and some municipalities are complaining that people are taking more non-direct routes and it is problematic.

Reactions: his*marty

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Think you can expect the opening process to be very slow. Canada isn't opening it's doors except to likely the US vaccinated. There are still big covid issues in South America and Asia and some municipalities are complaining that people are taking more non-direct routes and it is problematic.
This has been really frustrating for me... as I've seen a lot of advice given to people that can't get a direct flight, to go through the US and cross by land. This is problematic and keeping us on this rollercoaster.

Reactions: Idrissrafd

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This has been really frustrating for me... as I've seen a lot of advice given to people that can't get a direct flight, to go through the US and cross by land. This is problematic and keeping us on this rollercoaster.
Canada wants to open it’s doors very closely to prevent another lockdown. Many provinces have also been slowly opening in each province as well. Allowing anyone to travel into US and cross the border doesn’t make sense. If that was the case we would just open up all the flights. .

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada wants to open it’s doors very closely to prevent another lockdown. Many provinces have also been slowly opening in each province as well. Allowing anyone to travel into US and cross the border doesn’t make sense. If that was the case we would just open up all the flights. .
Or adopt the Australian example of not allowing people enter the country from epidemic regions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Or adopt the Australian example of not allowing people enter the country from epidemic regions.
Much easier to do if you are an Island and we depend on goods travelling by land so we couldn’t implement the same policy even if we wanted to. Very unlikely that after letting certain visitors, international students and WO holders into Canada for the whole pandemic that we would now ban the people we have been admitting for the past year.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Much easier to do if you are an Island and we depend on goods travelling by land so we couldn’t implement the same policy even if we wanted to. Very unlikely that after letting certain visitors, international students and WO holders into Canada for the whole pandemic that we would now ban the people we have been admitting for the past year.
NL is mainly an island. PEI is an island.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Whether you receive the Pfizer vaccine in Canada or abroad they will be treated the same as long as it is the true Pfizer vaccine.
"As long as it is the true Pfizer vaccine" means ... having a certificate or something that the government will accept, which might well depend on country. All I'm saying is that may not be as simple or as automatic as "but I got the Pfizer vaccine, really!"

At any rate, it seems an announcement is close, we'll have to see what the details are.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Chinese people not wanting to take Chinese made vaccines has to do with the history of vaccine problems in China nothing to do with covid. Same reason that Chinese brokers buy all the baby formula around the world and ship it to China. Parents don’t trust the milk powder in China because of past problems and prefer foreign produced. A Chinese company is actually producing milk products in Kingston for export to China. My concerns about Sinovac is related to countries who have vaccinated with sinovac and other non-mRNA vaccines seeing surges in covid infections. If you look at the Seychelles or countries in South America like Chile you are not seeing the sharp decrease in infections and hospitalizations that you are seeing elsewhere. They are seeing increases Access to data out of China in general is tough and not always trustworthy when it comes to Sinovac is also not as easily obtained and not as transparent. Sinovac and it’s distribution and donations to countries is vaccine diplomacy and will likely come with strings attached. Unfortunately any inquiry into the Sinovac vaccine will be taken as a criticism of China which isn’t the case. Opening borders come with a lot of complications and I assume there will be many lawsuits when it comes to vaccine passports, requirements to be vaccinated, etc.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-19/some-vaccines-help-nations-exit-the-pandemic-faster-than-others
I think it may depend on your reference to ' Chinese people ' from Hong Kong, Taiwan, or mainland China. There are deeply rooted cultural and geopolitical issues from these areas. From my understanding there is no vaccine hesitancy in mainland China, just long line-ups due to testing, supply and demand issues, and concerns regarding the more contagious covid variants. The majority of the people are not forced to receive a vaccination, just those in the public sector. If Canada was more prepared and responded diligently, that would have prevented many problems in our communities.

There may be some concerns regarding the Sinovac vaccine due to lack of data and it may not perform as well as the mRNA vaccines but if I had to make a choice between that or nothing to keep my family safe then the decision would be a no-brainer. Even if it only worked to keep you out of the ICU then that's a success.

Sinovac has not been approved by the Government of Canada so I doubt it will have any effect on the current quarantine travel restrictions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think it may depend on your reference to ' Chinese people ' from Hong Kong, Taiwan, or mainland China. There are deeply rooted cultural and geopolitical issues from these areas. From my understanding there is no vaccine hesitancy in mainland China, just long line-ups due to testing, supply and demand issues, and concerns regarding the more contagious covid variants. The majority of the people are not forced to receive a vaccination, just those in the public sector. If Canada was more prepared and responded diligently, that would have prevented many problems in our communities.

There may be some concerns regarding the Sinovac vaccine due to lack of data and it may not perform as well as the mRNA vaccines but if I had to make a choice between that or nothing to keep my family safe then the decision would be a no-brainer. Even if it only worked to keep you out of the ICU then that's a success.

Sinovac has not been approved by the Government of Canada so I doubt it will have any effect on the current quarantine travel restrictions.
Highly doubt that anyone with money is not trying to get a vaccine made outside of China and preferable a well known manufacturer like Pfizer. Was pretty clear that I was talking about Chinese within China which is where there have been issues with vaccines in the past.

https://merics.org/en/briefing/public-distrust-hampering-chinas-vaccination-efforts