+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

Dreamer_2019

Star Member
Aug 21, 2019
Hi everyone,
Could you please help to explain the following information: "Unvaccinated minors or dependent adults who are travelling with fully vaccinated travellers must quarantine for 14 days and follow all testing requirements, but are not required to stay at a government-authorized hotel".
Does that mean that if I, fully vaccinated sponsor, will go back to my country and bring my wife, principal applicant, and children to Canada, we will not have to quarantine in a hotel for 3 days?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
Could you please help to explain the following information: "Unvaccinated minors or dependent adults who are travelling with fully vaccinated travellers must quarantine for 14 days and follow all testing requirements, but are not required to stay at a government-authorized hotel".
Does that mean that if I, fully vaccinated sponsor, will go back to my country and bring my wife, principal applicant, and children to Canada, we will not have to quarantine in a hotel for 3 days?
Only if you wife is fully vaccinated

STUNNA1

Apr 23, 2020
i am travelling to canada while being 5 months pregnant. I have an appointment the following day to see my doctor as i havent done necessary test for my pregnancy because the cost while out of the country is insane. I have proof of my pregnancy and my doctors appointment stating the urgency of the appointment. Will i be exempt from the 3 day hotel quarantine due to medical

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i am travelling to canada while being 5 months pregnant. I have an appointment the following day to see my doctor as i havent done necessary test for my pregnancy because the cost while out of the country is insane. I have proof of my pregnancy and my doctors appointment stating the urgency of the appointment. Will i be exempt from the 3 day hotel quarantine due to medical
You will definitely not be able to go to a doctors office the day after you get off the plane. You would put other patients and the medical staff at risk. Did you tell the doctors office that you were arriving from an international flight the day before? Are you fully vaccinated? You may be able to get permission to get out of hotel quarantine if you have a valid reason and a place where you can isolate like your own home without any non-travellers. How long have you been out of Canada? There are residency obligations associated with healthcare.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I spoke to my doctor and its a serious medical reason as to why i need to see him, yes he is aware and also noted that in the letter that he gave me that is addressed directly to canada border. I am a canadian citizen ive been out of the country for a couple months due to to the ban on caribbean flights to and from canada. I am not fully vaccinated and my doctor is aware and also suggested i wait untill the birth of the baby. one of the exemptions is if you are returning for medical care within 36 hours of your flight. I spoke to an agent and they did say that it qualifies under the exemption but it is still up to the officer
Is this an actual emergency or only an appointment because you have not had any prenatal care? Assume if it was an actual emergency you would have sought care abroad of flown via indirect route a long time ago. I hope the OB is at least seeing you in the hospital where you can be seen in an isolated covid triage room. Going to an OB office in a potential medical building puts so many people at risk and people assume that they will not be exposed to anyone who should be in quarantine when they go see their doctor. It is always up to CBSA and public health to determine whether you can skip hotel quarantine. It also depends on what your arrangements are for home quarantine and whether you are able to isolate from non-travellers if you don’t live on your own. There have been people who have gone to the emergency room from hotel quarantine.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Decision was that it would be a better strategy long-term to give first shot to as many people as possible before prioritizing the second shot. (In part because one shot seems to have a strong effect in reducing severity, and reduced severity means less hospitalizations and the negative impacts of having health system overloaded).
And there's good reason to criticize about slowness of rollout and delivery, although since about mid-April, deliveries and vaccinations have really accelerated. (BTW those estimates of when Canada will switch to second doses - likely to be moved up to before September as deliveries continue to be very high in June and going into July; so for once they're likely to beat the targets, if no major hiccoughs).

Meantime: go ahead and compare the numbers now for France and Canada. Canada: more total doses delivered, more in % of pop that have received one dose (dramatically more, like 20% delta, 38% to 58%), and France - about 10% more of pop that has been fully vaccinated (16% to 6%). That's hardly stellar, with a likely irrelevant benefit from group/herd immunity between 16% and 6%.
I don't mean this as a dig-up-and-dunk post, but since I think this discussion was almost exactly a month ago, here's where we are today:

-Canada at ~67% one-dose and 30% fully vaccinated. (Only for comparison to where before - France at about 50%/30%.) That 67% doesn't sound great but it's ~77% of over-12s, i.e. very close to 80% of those eligible for vaccines.

-Most recent one-day figure I saw was pace is now about 500-600k doses a day, now the vast majority of which are second-dose.

Canada has about eight million doses on hand (deliveries have picked up), or about two weeks worth of current administration (with no new deliveries - which is not going to be the case, more deliveries are coming.)

On a very rough calc (my own), those two weeks of vaccinations would mean ~50% of population fully vaccinated.

If that pace is kept up - which I think will be a challenge, but no longer because of a shortage of vaccines, that could mean 70% of the population vaccinated fully by mid-July end July. Or without much trouble by end-July mid-August, comfortably end-August.

Or in really practical terms: sometime during late July in most parts of Canada, every person present in Canada who wants the vaccine should be able to get it. Regardless of what the local scheduling apps say. (Yes, there will be local situations that are a bit different - but probably not too many. The more salient problem is going to be convincing/organising so that those who haven't got vaccinated will take it.

I'm going to make a wild guess that we'll start seeing new things coming up like everyone arriving in Canada will be offered the vaccine - maybe not at the airport, but offered somehow. (I don't think this will be the same thing as removing quarantine/isolationo requirements - there are delays in effectiveness). Maybe at the border, too.

Not bad for thirty days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idrissrafd and cjr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't mean this as a dig-up-and-dunk post, but since I think this discussion was almost exactly a month ago, here's where we are today:

-Canada at ~67% one-dose and 30% fully vaccinated. (Only for comparison to where before - France at about 50%/30%.) That 67% doesn't sound great but it's ~77% of over-12s, i.e. very close to 80% of those eligible for vaccines.

-Most recent one-day figure I saw was pace is now about 500-600k doses a day, now the vast majority of which are second-dose.

Canada has about eight million doses on hand (deliveries have picked up), or about two weeks worth of current administration (with no new deliveries - which is not going to be the case, more deliveries are coming.)

On a very rough calc (my own), those two weeks of vaccinations would mean ~50% of population fully vaccinated.

If that pace is kept up - which I think will be a challenge, but no longer because of a shortage of vaccines, that could mean 70% of the population vaccinated fully by mid-July end July. Or without much trouble by end-July mid-August, comfortably end-August.

Or in really practical terms: sometime during late July in most parts of Canada, every person present in Canada who wants the vaccine should be able to get it. Regardless of what the local scheduling apps say. (Yes, there will be local situations that are a bit different - but probably not too many. The more salient problem is going to be convincing/organising so that those who haven't got vaccinated will take it.

I'm going to make a wild guess that we'll start seeing new things coming up like everyone arriving in Canada will be offered the vaccine - maybe not at the airport, but offered somehow. (I don't think this will be the same thing as removing quarantine/isolationo requirements - there are delays in effectiveness). Maybe at the border, too.

Not bad for thirty days.
Think we will start seeing people travelling to Canada to get access to a vaccine like is currently going on in the US.

Reactions: armoured

RF786

Jun 24, 2015
Hi can someone help with this please? My parents and their dependent son ( who is 26 years old) but is a dependent due to his vision impairment.
My parents are fully vaccinated but my brother is not.
I inquired about this over the covid ontario helpline and agent informed that he must bring his medical documents and a doctors' note to request exemption from hotel quarantine.
Because, as a matter of fact, he cant quarantine in hotel alone due to his very limited vision and my parents are fully vaccinated, they are automatically exempted.

Can anyone guide what else can I do to prevent hassle at the airport? Will the medical documents be enough to convince the officer to exempt him from hotel quarantine?

Thankyou in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi can someone help with this please? My parents and their dependent son ( who is 26 years old) but is a dependent due to his vision impairment.
My parents are fully vaccinated but my brother is not.
I inquired about this over the covid ontario helpline and agent informed that he must bring his medical documents and a doctors' note to request exemption from hotel quarantine.
Because, as a matter of fact, he cant quarantine in hotel alone due to his very limited vision and my parents are fully vaccinated, they are automatically exempted.

Can anyone guide what else can I do to prevent hassle at the airport? Will the medical documents be enough to convince the officer to exempt him from hotel quarantine?

Thankyou in advance
Don't know. In worst case, surely one of your parents could stay with him in the hotel for the required period?

Michelle2020

Sep 21, 2020
I have a question about the new policy. Are you still required to have your visit be at least 14 days like before? Even if you qualify for exemption from quarantine? I'm seeing conflicting info and can't seem to find a straight answer on the website.

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
The comment I heard on an interview with an expert (Dr. Isaac Bogoch) was that on current trend, most parts of the country will probably vaccinate all who want (first and second doses) by roughly end-July, maybe slipping a week or two. I believe the phrasing was that right now it's not a supply issue, just physically how to get shots in arms across the whole country. (This was on peter mansbridge podcast). There are caveats of course.

But related comments / articles I've read about Ontario / Toronto specifically are just that right now it's logistics and scaling up, and the scheduling is the weakest part of this right now. Ontario keeps adding people to eligibility for second shot, meaning way more people trying to schedule (Ontario added 2-3 million to 2nd shot eligibility in last several days). More slots will be opened as they organise it - logistics and delivery-wise.

There are mass vaccination clinics being held in the coming days - scotia arena for example - where they'll probably partly throw out the schedules, at least in the sense of taking people who are there when they have doses available. (Some acquaintances in Toronto got second dose this way - they stopped in at their vaccination site while walking by and asked and were let in, probably just because end of day).

Numbers also are now that about 80% a day of shots are second dose (which is also getting close to 1% of pop per day, ~0.85%). So do the simple math and in the five weeks to end-August - with no acceleration - 50-55% should have got the second shot. Some increased pace is likely based on supplies expected to be delivered, so this is more likely undershooting.

That said: this is not going to be perfect either. There will be places and pockets that have issues.

But hopefully your chances are good on current trends and if end-august is your cirtical date, your chances should be very good.

https://trevortombe.github.io/covidgraphs/
I would like to thank Canada for what they’re doing. I’m fully vaccinated right now; I just got my 2nd dose.

And you were right armoured in your previsions. Bien joué ✌

I’m just a little bit worried about the concept of mixing vaccines (my 1st dose was Pfizer and the second one Moderna), but apparently experts are saying it’s ok to have a combination of both. Hope we’ll see in the future more studies to comfort me a little bit lol

But now all my family is vaccinated, me included. Thank you Canada and thank you Peel region.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I would like to thank Canada for what they’re doing. I’m fully vaccinated right now; I just got my 2nd dose.

And you were right armoured in your previsions. Bien joué ✌

I’m just a little bit worried about the concept of mixing vaccines (my 1st dose was Pfizer and the second one Moderna), but apparently experts are saying it’s ok to have a combination of both. Hope we’ll see in the future more studies to comfort me a little bit lol

But now all my family is vaccinated, me included. Thank you Canada and thank you Peel region.
Congratulations!

Now if they could apply some of that logistics game to clearing the immigration backlogs )

Shoaib Akhtar

Mar 12, 2011
Fully vaccinated can travel without having to 3 days hotel quarantine if they got 2 doses (Canadian approved vaccines) 14 days before landing.

Last edited: